TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 A Numb Heel Story
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Special One

USA
61 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2006 :  21:53:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi everyone,
I haven't posted in a while and have been doing pretty well with the tms situation. I noticed that when I took a week long trip I got a lot of pains that were "so" tms! Everyday I would wake up with something new and odd. It was like the way I was before I learned about tms. When I got home, things subsided almost immediately. THere was definitely tension on the trip. I took three children, ages 8, 4, and 1, to visit my brother who has 4 little ones of his own. There were a lot of dishes and messes to take on and I felt obligated to do my part. Since I knew about tms, I could laugh at the pains. I would like to get to the point where I could actually avoid them!

My concern now, and this is why I'm posting, is with my ankle. I want to describe the sensation and see if anyone has insight as to if it is most likely tms, because it is very strange. There was no incident of injury except that I noticed the pain as I was stretching my calf. I can't relate it directly to that. The back of my heel, right in the middle is numb. When I straighten my leg and bend my foot up past a certain point there is a ripping, burning sensation that spreads up and around the heel. It's alarming. It goes away soon after I stop the motion. I don't feel pain doing any other movement:walking, even running. So, after a month I went to the doctor, basically to rule out something serious. She said there was no need for an x-ray, and that it is probably a pulled achilles tendon. She didn't seem to think the numbness meant anything. She said, "the back of the heel is usually less sensitive." I was surprised that she disregarded that symptom, as if I didn't know the difference between how my heel normally feels, and this recent lack of sensation.

So now I am left with the wonder, "is it tms?" She suggested a lot of physical changes I should make like, ice, heel lift, flat heeled shoes and physical therapy, and thought that since I had started running a couple of months ago, that's why it happened. To me it relates to descriptions in Sarno's books of tms affecting the nerves. Why didn't the doc. think it was nerve related? Numbness, burning, shock sensation. Anyway, I haven't been running all week, though I continue walking long distances. I kinda wish they had taken an x-ray anyway so I could be completely sure (Of what, I don't know. Am I stupid to keep running?

wrldtrv

666 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2006 :  23:25:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't know about your particular problem, but my brother-in-law has recently come down with a similar problem. For the past several months his feet have felt numb. Since the only exercise he gets is golf and since he rarely goes to the doctor for anything, his complaint had credibility. He was finally concerned enough to go to a neurologist who gave him an EMG, which was normal. So now he's in limbo, waiting for the symptoms to disappear.

As for your running, I think the general rule is, if it doesn't hurt it's probably not doing any harm.
Go to Top of Page

tennis tom

USA
4746 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2006 :  00:57:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
go to page 18 of :

THE DIVIDED MIND

Edited by - tennis tom on 06/29/2006 01:08:43
Go to Top of Page

Special One

USA
61 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2006 :  17:04:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Page 18 definitely covers heel pain. I guess I didn't find my "exact" condition there, but I am sensing that tms is at hand regardless. I'm giving it my tms best. Luckily, I don't notice it most of the time, so it is easy to ignore and to not fear. I'm wondering if it could be related to the left buttock/sciatic type symptom that was my primary tms pain? It is the same side that had the knee pain, too. I have completely accepted the "sciatica" as tms because it comes and goes. Maybe the nerve system extends to the heel and it is my brain trying to keep the sciatic pain alive somewhere. That would make sense. I have been talking to my brain lately about this and about the allergic symptoms I have been having that seem related to a new kitten my daughter just got. THanks for the replies.
Go to Top of Page

Hestia

21 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2006 :  20:57:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have had TMS heel pain and numbness. I had plantar faciitis for a year and a half. After about a year I developed numbness in my foot which was diagnosed as tarsal tunnel which is like carpal tunnel but in the ankle. I had a little of that shocking sensation also. I am not sure if it is the same as your numbness but it sounds similar. After reading Dr. Sarno my heel pain and numbness gradually went away. It has been almost 2 years and my heel/feet are good. I have other little TMS issues - it is an ongoing process.

I also run and I find that my TMS likes to use my running as a way to distract me. I try not to let it interfere with my running but sometimes it does. so I cut back and then try to ease back into it.

Good luck.
Go to Top of Page

tennis tom

USA
4746 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2006 :  14:15:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If
the foot doctors can't find anything wrong with YOUR FOOT then read pages :

17 & 18 of the :

DIVIDED MIND

over and over and over again[
]
Go to Top of Page

jrnythpst

USA
134 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2006 :  14:19:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is Divided Mind a book or a chapter of a book? I read something last night about the divided mind in the mindbody prescription, only made it to page 70 until going to bed. See other post for how that went. Thanks!

Hugs,
Ali Cat
Go to Top of Page

tennis tom

USA
4746 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2006 :  14:40:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The DIVIDED MIND IS Dr. John E. Sarno's newest book.

Go to Top of Page

jrnythpst

USA
134 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2006 :  14:43:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks so much! I will try to look into this after I finish the first book.

Hugs,
Ali Cat
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000