TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 How to deal with setbacks
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

shari

USA
85 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2006 :  09:51:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
TMS can really get to you. You work hard at it, get a bit better and think you're on the right track and life is going to smile at you again, and then for no apparent reason you find yourself back to square one with the pain, the fear, the tears and the "I'd rather be dead" thoughts. Setbacks are very hard. Wonder how others handle them.

Singer_Artist

USA
1516 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2006 :  10:29:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh I soooooo understand exactly how you feel...Setbacks are the worst! I am already still in an acute attack for the past 5 weeks..but within this attack i have had many setbacks...The hardest part for me is telling myself that they are not from what i have done or not done physically..but instead...they are from my mind! My subconscious mind gets scared when i start to feel some healing going on because that little gremlin in there wants to keep the TMS process going to continue the distraction from what is REALLY hurting deep deep inside...Fred Amir's book is amazing and helping me alot...If you don't have it Shari, pick up a copy soon...Hope you feel better..My prayers are with you! Hang in there...
Go to Top of Page

Stryder

686 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2006 :  10:46:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi shari,

Keep up the hard work! You have TMS on the run. There is light on the horizon for you.

Usually each setback is not quite so bad as the previous setback. It may be hard to see, but in the overall big picture you _ARE_ getting better. Also, setbacks are a normal part of long term TMS recovery (basically, your mind is trying to trick you again, and again...). Maybe each setback is not as severe, or does not last as long. Often its very hard to realize this when the pain is upon you again. Re-training your mind can take a long time.

Try this. Don't fight the pain. When you have pain, don't fight it, just let it hurt. The pain is not going to harm you, its just pain. Its your mind doing this. Let it flow thru you, it is benign, there is nothing physically wrong with your body, just your mind playing games. And don't blame yourself, its not your fault you have the TMS personality type. Just let it go.

For years I blamed myself for my condition. I was brutally hard on myself. Once I figured that out and got over it I began to get better fast.

So pat yourself on the back, you are recognizing the evil TMS and you are not giving in to its treacherous nature. Keep the faith, cast out your fear, you have nothing to loose.

NO FEAR !
quote:
Originally posted by art - http://www.tmshelp.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2274

It took me a long time to understand that fear in and of itself is part and parecl of this whole syndrome, at least it is for me...

I think to a great extent I was always injured from running or whatever simply because I feared such injuries..

As my fear has lessened, so has my tendency to be hurt all the time...

Sarno is a genius, but for what it's worth, I think he underplays the role of stress and fear in TMS, and overplays the rage aspect...

SARNO RULES !!

Take care, -Stryder.

Edited by - Stryder on 07/03/2006 10:52:34
Go to Top of Page

miche

Canada
283 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2006 :  11:06:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I get little glimpses of what getting better feels like, twice in the last few months after a lot of journalling I have felt some relief, the last time was four days ago, however yesterday the pain came back worst than ever, my first reaction was to look at my diet which I know is the wrong thing to do. I am now trying to ignore my diet and to explore the fact that while out yesterday I saw something that briefly brought back very bad memories. I then made it a point to chase these thoughts out of my mind as I could not tolerate the pain associated with them, so I realise more and more that the pain has an emotional base to it, I need the constant reminders it seems but at least I am at the stage where I am looking for the emotional over the physical,knowing that I am on the right track does not do much for the despair I feel again , to think that life is smiling at you again even if only for a short while and have it taken away is down right maddening, I couldn't agree with you more,Look for what might have triggered the relapse, it has to have an emotional componant to it, even if you cannot find a trigger I believe that the thing to do according to all the veterans on this board is to simply know that it is emotional and apply the same concepts you did before, hang in there as I am , seems we are at the same level of frustration right now and I really feel for you, you say for no apparent reason the pain comes back, I think that is the point , the reason behind it is seldom apparent, maybe a little digging is in order. I probably should not even attempt to give you advice as I am so new at this, but reading what you wrote this morning so descrbed my feelings that I had to tell you about what just happened to me in the hope that it helps, sending you a hug, Micheline
Go to Top of Page

shari

USA
85 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2006 :  11:22:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Miche -- Just knowing I'm not alone in the same pain-despair mode is quite comforting. I felt your hug and return it. And thanks to Karen and Stryder for the support. This forum is great.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000