TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 Hamstrung!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page  
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

hsb

149 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2006 :  05:44:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi all-
The gremlin has gotten me again. Abut 3-4 weeks ago, it attacked my knee and I was able to run through it and pain went away. You all (Art and Al, et al.) helped alot. Boy was I happy. Well all of a sudden I have hamstring and adductor pain. This time I don't have an incident to attach it to (last time it was speedwork). I have been running my usual stuff and the hamstring pain surprised me after Tuesday's run - no unusual incidents. Ran this morning and the pain definitely is with me and the hamstring is very tight. I had a sports hernia surgery back in 3/05 and it sort of reminds me of that pain. Needless to say I am sort of panicking again like I did a few weeks ago. I keep recalling how I have read that many runner's careers were ended with hamstring pain that never got better. Plus it is getting worse rather than better.

ARGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG. I find it hard to remain calm again; thoughts of the future, i.e. this will take me out of running for months are rampant.

HELP.
HSB

Plantweed

USA
109 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2006 :  07:04:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, I don't run at all (I walk sometimes, not enough) and I've been having major hamstring pain in my right leg for no reason. It's let up a bit, but in the mornings it was feeling like someone was holding my knee to my face for a couple of hours. I know it's TMS and did my best to ignore it, taking painillers on busy days.
Go to Top of Page

Michele

249 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2006 :  11:36:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If the pain reminds you of the hernia surgery pain, it would be a convenient place to get TMS. Why not have it checked out, just for your peace of mind. Then you can see that it is nothing (hopefully) and then start running again, brushing away the TMS demons.

FWIW, I ran 3 miles Tuesday morning and had tight pain in my left leg all day, even going into my arm. I may have even taken an Aleve, can't remember. Then I woke up Wednesday, kind of dreading my 6-miler, but when I woke up I felt great. No pain, and my run was fantastic. What was up with Tuesday? I had to attend a meeting and lead a group of women at church, a group I have been thinking about leaving, but if I leave, the group will end. GUILT GUILT GUILT
Go to Top of Page

hsb

149 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2006 :  12:01:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Michele for your response. I ran this morning (6 miles) and the pain was not horrible during the run but now my hamstring is super super tight and it hurts even while walking. This year I was able to get rid of achilles pain, calf pain and knee pain w/o having to take a day off of running. I think Suz mentioned that you can't let the TMS have the power over you. Darn, it is now -- having pain when I walk is ominous to me and I am starting to think the thoughts of having to quit and rest and treat and PT, etc. etc. etc. For some reason I don't have the confidence this time that this hamstring stuff will go away quickly.

As always, thanks

HSB
Go to Top of Page

geeta

USA
21 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2006 :  19:01:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i had hamstring pain for 2 years and 8 months in which time i was not able to run or play soccer,went through all the PT.........i must have the strongest and most flexible hamstrings out there but was still getting pain! Then i read Dr Sarno's book and Monte Heulef's book and within 2 months i was back doing everything i was not able to do for a long time and still am 5 months on. So what i am trying to say is don't quit on this and do not think your running days are over, just be paient and do the work. The more you are thinking about the hamstring the more it is going to hurt. good luck

Nathan

n davies
Go to Top of Page

art

1903 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2006 :  05:39:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
For some reason I don't have the confidence this time that this hamstring stuff will go away quickly

As I recall you didn't have much confidence the other things would go away either..

It will help to identify patterns (in this case a different injury evry couple of weeks....) Then evaluate objectively/E.g. does it make sense that you would get a completely new injury every two weeks?

It will also help to quit catastrophizing, another pattern.

Go to Top of Page

hsb

149 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2006 :  08:27:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Art. I think that catastrophizing is part of TMS. It IS odd that I would keep getting these "injuries" every few weeks. This time I do not even have anything to blame the hamstring pain on.

Many of the posts on this board talk about the fear. And I know I have that fear that each individual "injury" or "pain" is going to turn into something that will last weeks and weeks. (See post by Geeta). You once wrote about the fear and just going for a run and then the pain would go away by not giving it any importance. I tried that yesterday and boy was my hamstring sore afterwards and still is.

Thanks for replying Art. Never had a hamstring thing before.
HSB
Go to Top of Page

altherunner

Canada
511 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2006 :  08:34:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I used to worry excessively, and make every pain a catastrophe. I still get the odd ache or pain, but I try to ignore, or think what the brain is trying to distract me from. Sometimes something small comes up, and the pain goes away. I also listen to books on cd on my long runs, and I will try to listen more intently to the book, instead of paying any attention to the pain. This was more difficult,
of course, when the pain is intense, but worth a try. Your muscles and tendons get unbelievably strong in your legs from running, and are actually much tougher to damage than what you hear and read about. We are conditioned to believe we are weak, to have pain, take pills, see physical therapists.
Go to Top of Page

hsb

149 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2006 :  08:44:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I so agree with you Al. There is absolutely no way that I would get "hurt" so often. Geez in the last 4 months, it was achilles, calf and knee. It's not like I am an elite runner doing hundreds of miles and speedwork, etc. Makes absolutely no sense and that is why I gravitate towards the TMS dx. But of course when I talk to my other running buddies, it's like "a hamstring, that takes forever to heal", "boy you need massage or treatment". Tough to tune the brain out!!!!
One question - I think I know what's bothering me and I realize what it is, how do i convince my brain that I understand why it's making this pain.
Thanks again Al.
HSB
Go to Top of Page

art

1903 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2006 :  16:17:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
You once wrote about the fear and just going for a run and then the pain would go away by not giving it any importance. I tried that yesterday and boy was my hamstring sore afterwards and still is

I can only tell you what has worked for me in the past. Is there a chance you're hamstring is actually injured? Yes, of course. We play a high stakes game when we go out and run with pain. One should never lose sight of that. We have to at all times treat our bodies respectfully..As I recall I took you to task a bit for not taking a day off after that speed session...I thought that was a little reckless..Our bodies are not made of iron. It is possible to injure them.

But at a certain point I decided that I simply did not want to live in fear any longer. This is not to say I don't still feel fear at times, but I try like hell to just turn a deaf ear to that miserable, whining, wretched hypochondriacal coward that lives inside of me...

THere's real suffering in the world...How unseemly it is for me to go into high panic mode because I might not be able to go for my run today...I sometimes think a lasting recovery from all this TMS stuff requires that we change the way we think about the world and our place inside it.....

I know I'm drifing far afield here...And I hope I don't sound as if I'm lecturing you..I'm not. I've been right where you are myself, and not all that long ago, like yesterday in fact when I woke up with what felt like a fresh case of patellar tendonitis...It's just that I've got some tools to deal with this stuff now...BY the end of the day the pain was largely gone...

Edited by - art on 09/01/2006 16:27:33
Go to Top of Page

hsb

149 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2006 :  16:35:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
art you wrote:

"I can only tell you what has worked for me in the past. Is there a chance you're hamstring is actually injured? Yes, of course. We play a high stakes game when we go out and run with pain. One should never lose sight of that"

therein i feel lies the problem for us runners. could my hamstring really be injured ..... i don't know and i struggle with trying to figure that out. and that "miserable, whining" obsessive, mind of mine tears me apart with that battle. i definitely have more stuff going on this time and i am doubting my ability to run through this one.
my mind that is going a mile a minute is winning. but i am going to get up and go for a run tomorrow.

art i appreciate your understanding. it makes no sense why this hamstring came on all of a sudden so that i suppose is my cue.
thanks.
hsb

Go to Top of Page

art

1903 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2006 :  07:28:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So what happened on your run?
Go to Top of Page

hsb

149 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2006 :  08:38:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Art-
I ran yesterday and the hamstring was so-so. I felt more adductor pain but i plugged on. At the very end I started feeling kneecap pain. So it was low grade hamstring, adductor stuff. This morning I went for a run/walk and my kneecap was excruciating. This was the type of pain that stops you in your tracks, not the knee pain that I had a few weeks ago.

So now I am wondering why it is all the right leg - is it all connected, knee, adductor, hamstring? Real or not real? or is it the TMS that moves around. This new kneecap pain is scary. I am not sure I can even run on it.

What would you do Art?

thanks
HSB
Go to Top of Page

art

1903 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2006 :  11:00:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hsb

Art-
I ran yesterday and the hamstring was so-so. I felt more adductor pain but i plugged on. At the very end I started feeling kneecap pain. So it was low grade hamstring, adductor stuff. This morning I went for a run/walk and my kneecap was excruciating. This was the type of pain that stops you in your tracks, not the knee pain that I had a few weeks ago.

So now I am wondering why it is all the right leg - is it all connected, knee, adductor, hamstring? Real or not real? or is it the TMS that moves around. This new kneecap pain is scary. I am not sure I can even run on it.

What would you do Art?

thanks
HSB

With genuinely excruciating pain I would not run...I'd take a few days off and see how it responded...

One thing I would absolutely not do, is run two days in a row..But I'm 55 years old...maybe you're a lot younger..
Go to Top of Page

hsb

149 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2006 :  18:30:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hey art,
i'm 53!!! i have been running tues, thurs, sat and sunday for years. in all my years of injuries and i've had tons which i attribute to TMS, i have NEVER had knee pain. it is so weird that in the last 3 weeks, i've had knee pain, adductor pain, hamstring pain and now kneecap pain. i am sure a PT would say it is all connected, yada yada yada. i' m trying to look deeper why in 3 weeks everything cropped up. as you are familiar, this past year ive battled alot but came through so being hit with 3 types of pains is a CHALLENGE!

it is going to take a ton of mental strength not to go the dr. PT, route. most of my friends who are runners has had runner's knee and i don't want to hear their stories. i think Suz wrote, that it takes alot of strength to beat the gremlin, he/she is testing. boy the ultimate.

i am going to take a few days off and see what transpires. i remember you guys talking about ITB being a running stopper, this pain this morning did the trick for me!!

thanks art, i will keep you posted.
HSB
Go to Top of Page

art

1903 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2006 :  11:18:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hsb

hey art,
i'm 53!!! i have been running tues, thurs, sat and sunday for years. in all my years of injuries and i've had tons which i attribute to TMS, i have NEVER had knee pain. it is so weird that in the last 3 weeks, i've had knee pain, adductor pain, hamstring pain and now kneecap pain. i am sure a PT would say it is all connected, yada yada yada. i' m trying to look deeper why in 3 weeks everything cropped up. as you are familiar, this past year ive battled alot but came through so being hit with 3 types of pains is a CHALLENGE!

it is going to take a ton of mental strength not to go the dr. PT, route. most of my friends who are runners has had runner's knee and i don't want to hear their stories. i think Suz wrote, that it takes alot of strength to beat the gremlin, he/she is testing. boy the ultimate.

i am going to take a few days off and see what transpires. i remember you guys talking about ITB being a running stopper, this pain this morning did the trick for me!!

thanks art, i will keep you posted.
HSB

Just a thought...Do you x-train at all? There's a whole world of very enjoyable work out modalities that enable one to do somehting almost evry day, and importantly as we get into our 50's, avoid the consecutive running days which for many of us is pushing the envelope..This is not to say you can't get away with it as we're all individuals and age in different ways and at different rates, but if your body's anything like mine, I think you're right up against it...

Edited by - art on 09/04/2006 11:19:50
Go to Top of Page

hsb

149 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2006 :  11:35:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hi art - happy labor day to all. i do xtrain. i swim 2-3x a week and i lift weights. so running is only part of what i do, but to me the favorite.
today i swam and have been icing the knee to see if it makes any difference.
it is all so bizarre to me - just the sequence of pains - above the knee, hamstring, adductor and now kneecap.

but i am probably thinking way too much about the physical. i have been pondering what's bothering me and trying to make a connection there. one thing dr. sarno says is that we connect the pain to an event and we get the fear. i have no event to attach the kneecap pain to. though i do have some emotional stuff that perhaps is the cause. just don't know and i do have some trepidation that this ain't going away too soon.

i will keep you guys posted. thanks for all the help
hsb
Go to Top of Page

carbar

USA
227 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2006 :  18:53:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
This is not to say I don't still feel fear at times, but I try like hell to just turn a deaf ear to that miserable, whining, wretched hypochondriacal coward that lives inside of me...

THere's real suffering in the world...How unseemly it is for me to go into high panic mode because I might not be able to go for my run today...I sometimes think a lasting recovery from all this TMS stuff requires that we change the way we think about the world and our place inside it.....

art, you really have a great way of describing your TMS and the place in the world thing. I'm glad you post so frequently, it makes this place feel very inhabited.

I agree with the world and our place comment. I really feel like TMS is drawing me out of my shell and into the world. When you are not in pain, there's a lot more energy to give back to the universe in all kinds of various ways. I used to feel a draw to this giving back vibe when I was a youngster, but I was so disempowered and depressed that I wound up physically disempowered by my "injuries." This resulted in becoming more self-centered, which is a scary place to be and there's the TMS cycle. When you are obsessing about yourself (in pain), you are in pain.

Sigh. Well, thanks again for keeping me thinking.
Go to Top of Page

hsb

149 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2006 :  06:02:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well happily the knee pain was short-lived. Absolutely gone now.
My panic was all for naught.
BUT, the hamstring is still pretty bad. I honestly don't want to stop running and go the PT route. I am fighting the resting thing and taking time off. It's been over 2 weeks and I haven't rested it and the internal fight continues: run v. not run.

GRRRRRRR.
Thanks
HSB

Go to Top of Page

hsb

149 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2006 :  13:07:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I ran yesterday and the pain was pretty bad during but mostly after the run. I decided to lay off for at least the weekend and see what happens. Art - I think you recommended this to me before. I don't want to do this but I guess I need to see if there is any improvement via rest.

Art, Al or TT - what do you think?
thanks
hsb
Go to Top of Page

art

1903 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2006 :  15:54:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
HS,

A few days off from running is not the end of the world even if it feels like it...Go swimming, play a round of golf, take a walk...or just do nothing. I've read that a well trained runner gets about a 1 week grace period before beginning to lose fitness...

My m.o. with new injuries is to proceed, but with caution, giving myself the usual TMS pep talk along the way..If I'm able to run,and the pain stays at a tolerable level, I'll continue...If the pain gets too intense, I'll stop (this has not happend in a long time)...Just because we're TMS'ers it does not follow that we are therefore invulnerable to real injuries..

I think it's pefectly reasonable to take a few days off if that's what you feel is called for...

JUst how bad is the pain? Let's try a scale of 1-10...10 being you couldn't run if you wanted to...9 being you could run but you absolutely know it would be the wrong thing to do...8 same deal only there's a bit of doubt...7 fair amount of doubt...etc etc..

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000