TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 Your input is greatly appreciated
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

marytabby

USA
545 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2006 :  16:27:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm on a mission and this is related to my TMS so it's not completely off-topic.
In an effort to do some soul-searching related to my career and my choice of where I live and call home, and how it may or may not be adversely affecting my TMS, I am doing the exercise in What Color is Your Parachute workbook. I need your help in the following:
I made a list of what my most important factors are when determining where my ideal place would be to live. I live in MA.
So my list of important things are below. Your task, if you should choose to help me, is to suggest locations in the US that would satisfy all these requirements for me, since I'm not well-traveled.
Here are my requirements, kind of in order of preference, please suggest away if you wouldn't mind, where I may want to consider as an alternate place to live.
- Reasonable to live, not too expensive
- Not freezing in the winter like New England
- Quiet but not rural location
- Nice scenery
- Close to transportation if possible
- Ocean nearby
- Not high crime
- Shopping, restaurants all within a close proximity
- Centrally located in general, meaning don't have to drive 20 miles to get to stuff to do, cultural stuff, shopping, whatever

All replies greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Edited by - marytabby on 09/04/2006 17:15:56

art

1903 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2006 :  17:23:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm not all that well-traveled either, so I'm sure others will step in with more specific info...But I think the Southeast U.S. is very appealing..Georgia is obviously warm, but it's not the semi-tropical climate of Florida therefore not nearly as expensive..The Carolina's same deal....They're on the coast, so you can live by the ocean..there are lots of small college town type places that might be very attractive to you from a cultural point of view..Chapel Hill NC comes to mind, though not sure how far inland that is..

If I were looking to move somewhere, I'd probably take a couple of weeks off, and get in my car and explore...I'm sure there are a ton of places in the southeast that you'd fall in love with...

One very good thing, you'd get a much bigger bang for your buck real estate-wise than Massachusetts...

Edited by - art on 09/04/2006 17:26:42
Go to Top of Page

jrnythpst

USA
134 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2006 :  18:14:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Maryalma8, I live in North Carolina and there are many areas within the state that meet your requirements, as well as places that do not. If you would like to learn more about NC feel free to visit our website www.nc.gov

If you need help finding employment feel free to visit www.ncesc.com this is for the NC Employment Security Commission. I work with this agency so if you have any questions feel free to ask me.

Other good websites are: www.monster.com, www.careerbuilder.com, for most counties in NC it's www.co.countyname.nc.us, and a lot of the cities are www.ci.cityname.nc.us I hope this helps!!!

Hugs,
Ali Cat
Go to Top of Page

ndb

209 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2006 :  18:18:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Atlanta has been great...the only requirement it doesn't meet is closeness to ocean. I've visited Savannah, GA, and i think it would meet all your criteria.

I think Austin, TX is also a nice place, though again somewhat inland, and it can get pretty hot and dry. New Orleans would have been nice, though I don't know what the situation is with the levees, whether its safe to move back. California also a great place, for example the Bay area, and San Francisco satisfy all your requirements, I think.

Fun post!

Edited by - ndb on 09/04/2006 18:23:04
Go to Top of Page

sonora sky

USA
181 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2006 :  21:37:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, ndb, Austin is a neat city, but it might not fit M's criteria. I've lived in Austin for a year, and I do enjoy it, but there are many places I'd rather be. Austin's a little liberal oasis in a state that's more foreign to me than most non-western countries I've been to. Austinites are known for their support of local industries/businesses, hence the current campaign, "Keep Austin Weird." And, well, there's the heat (it's been consistently in the 90s since March and around 100 since July; I don't expect it to get back into the 80s--a real cold blast--until late October...if we're lucky), and the lack of water. . . Well, there're a few inland lakes, but their water levels are currently the lowest in recorded history. We're technically in Texas "Hill Country," but the landscape is a lot more deserty than I had imagined. If I was looking for desert (though I'm fairly sure M's not), I'd take Tucson over Austin any day.

Austin is funky, yes, but I'm not sure if I'll ever be able to call it "home." I suppose I'll remain a cheesehead in Longhorn country, for the time being.

I'm with art: the Carolinas sound more like what you're looking for. I was thinking maybe the pacific northwest, but then you'd have to deal with gray skies and constant precip.

good luck deciding

ss
Go to Top of Page

tennis tom

USA
4746 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2006 :  00:41:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've heard good things about San Diego.
Go to Top of Page

Stryder

686 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2006 :  17:19:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tennis tom

Any idea how are the housing prices in SD? -Stryder
Go to Top of Page

art

1903 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2006 :  17:58:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Stryder

quote:
Originally posted by tennis tom

Any idea how are the housing prices in SD? -Stryder

I'm pretty sure all of southern california has participated in the recent real estate bubble, thus is probably way over valued for the time being...In my opinion, the bubble is now bursting and real estate in the hot spots...California, Mass. Florida, NY, to name a few....will be much more affordable in a year or two..

Edited by - art on 09/05/2006 17:59:01
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000