TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 Tinnitus
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page  
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

retainer

USA
20 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2006 :  19:05:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I read through pages 1-6 for a tinnitus topic and didn't see one.
My husband cured his chronic back pain with Dr. Sarno's books.
He just re read them and noticed tinnitus in there. He has had
it for several months now. Didn't realize that was TMS.
Has anyone here had help with ignoring or whatever to help with
their tinnitus? Hubby would love some feedback. Thanks in
advance. Cari

"It's all up to me!"

Edited by - retainer on 08/24/2006 10:08:39

salamander

85 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2006 :  19:24:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Do a search for tinnitis using the search function. There are a bunch of posts dealing with Tinnitis. I believe there are many on this forum that have had success treating it as TMS. Mine has come and gone depending upon the level of stress that I'm under.

Regards,
Doug
Go to Top of Page

Allan

USA
226 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2006 :  19:56:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is he on aspirin maintenance?

Allan.
Go to Top of Page

retainer

USA
20 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2006 :  21:18:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you Salamander for 'Search.' That was very helpful.
What hit me most on quick reading was "nothing is ever going to be perfect" (something like that.) Words I need to live by!
Thanks again. Cari

"It's all up to me!"
Go to Top of Page

Stryder

686 Posts

Posted - 08/18/2006 :  10:03:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Cari,

As salamander said, there are many tinnitus threads, so you will have to either do a search or read thru all the posts.

For some people tinnitus is purely a TMS equivelant, their inner ear is sensitive enough to pick up the body's "background noise". Then the TMS part is they obsess about the afflicition as a distraction to their inner rage. This is especially true if the tinnitus comes and goes, or moves from ear to ear, or changes intensity frequently.

Good point, Allan, about the asprin. I had more tinnitus issues when I was taking a lot of asprin for my LBP (before I discovered the good doctor's work). I don't take any asprin or naproxen any more, even for a headache (actually I don't get headaches much any more and when I do I just take a nap in a dark room). By the way, stay away from Excedrin, and other products, loaded with caffeine !!

Cari, tell you better half to treat it as TMS. Basically,,,, just ignore it.

Thanks for your reply to my TMJ post.

Take care, -Stryder

Edited by - Stryder on 08/18/2006 10:09:36
Go to Top of Page

retainer

USA
20 Posts

Posted - 08/18/2006 :  22:03:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When Allan asked if hubby was on an asprin regiment, I thought
he meant he should be. So I told hubby to take asprin. He hadn't
been. Tired of taking so many vit. etc. So he won't take asprin.
We in take very little caffine these days. Thank you again. Cari

"It's all up to me!"
Go to Top of Page

wrldtrv

666 Posts

Posted - 08/18/2006 :  22:10:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Retainer,

I think what Allan was getting at about the aspirin is this: High aspirin dosages is known for CAUSING Tinnitus. So, no, don't take a lot of aspirin.
Go to Top of Page

Stryder

686 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2006 :  21:07:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by wrldtrv

Retainer,

I think what Allan was getting at about the aspirin is this: High aspirin dosages is known for CAUSING Tinnitus. So, no, don't take a lot of aspirin.

I agree, knock off the asprin if you are trying to get a handle on the tinnitus. -Stryder
Go to Top of Page

Allan

USA
226 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2006 :  06:43:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, no aspirin.

Thanks for your explanations of my earlier posting.

Allan.
Go to Top of Page

retainer

USA
20 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2006 :  21:32:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you...NO ASPRIN! LOL

"It's all up to me!"
Go to Top of Page

joela

USA
44 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2006 :  12:27:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey retainer: I can so sympathize with your husband! I have had tinnitus for a year and 1/2 and have gone thru MRI's and CT scans with thanksfully nothing. It is very hard to deal with. If he figures out how to ignore it let me know! Good luck and hang in there.
Go to Top of Page

wrldtrv

666 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2006 :  22:13:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Joela,

How's your hearing? Usually people with REAL tinnitus have damaged hearing. Otherwise, it is most likely stress. Several yrs ago I had tinnitus for about 1 1/2 yrs, had the MRI, hearing tests...all was normal. Finally, it went away on its own. I was extremely stressed at the time so I attribute the condition that that. Occasionally, even nowadays I will get it for a few days and then it will disappear. I think knowing it's psychological is the key.
Go to Top of Page

retainer

USA
20 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2006 :  11:12:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Gary has 20% hearing loss in the left hear. Wears the new 'stick'
hearing aides in both ears. He loves them. He got help on how
to relieve stress with Dr. Charlie Smithdeal. I used him for my
sugar addiction. Worked wonders for me. Gary is in a stressful
job, so he works with Dr. Charlies' technique all the time. We
both know most pain is stress etc. related so that is half the
battle.

When Gary had chronic back pain, he went to the Dr. He took x-rays.
Said nothing appeared wrong. "Are you under any stress?" Thank
good for his answer. Gary bought Dr. Sarno's book and cured his
back pain in about 2 weeks. The tinnitus has been harder!
Thank you, everyone. Cari

"It's all up to me!"
Go to Top of Page

joela

USA
44 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2006 :  11:58:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey wrld: I am told I have hearing loss but there was nothing to compare it to. At 47 I probably have hearing loss anyway!! My husband either has selective hearing (doesn't want to hear me) or he has hearing loss too without the ringing! Did you have clogging/stuffiness too? I have that all the time. I keep trying to tell myself that it will go away. I hope I am as fortunate as you! When it started, I was invloved in an EXTREMELY stressful situation so I am almost positive this was stress induced. Why does it take so long to go away!? Did you just wake up one day and it was gone?
Go to Top of Page

Fox

USA
496 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2006 :  12:49:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
See my earlier posts on tinnitus. I recovered using TRT (see tinnitus.org) and Sarno. I do have a hearing loss in the ear that was affected by ringing - it doesn't matter - it had nothing to do with the ringing. I also had the feeling of fullness/stuffiness in the ear. It's part of the psychological syndrome.
Go to Top of Page

joela

USA
44 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2006 :  13:25:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Fox: I can't locate a TRT in NJ. Do you know of any?
Go to Top of Page

wrldtrv

666 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2006 :  23:08:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Joela,

No, I never had clogging/stuffiness feeling. Only the noise. My hearing tests showed I had excellent hearing. The MRI was normal. Maybe it was the weight of all this evidence and time (1 1/2 yrs) that did the trick. I can't say I woke up one day and it was gone. More likely I just got used to it, stopped paying as much attention to it, and eventually noticed I wasn't hearing it anymore.

As I mentioned before, occasionally it will come around again for a few days, but now I am pretty good at ignoring it, chocking it up to stress. For me, there is a definite correlation with stress. I know this because I am very good at "acting out" in my body the turmoil in my mind.
Go to Top of Page

Fox

USA
496 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2006 :  07:41:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
See the TRT audiologist list on the tinnitus.org web site....Actually, I probably didn't need to see the audiologist (in Greensboro NC) because all the info that I received during the visit is on the web site....Sort of like seeing a TMS doc...Getting the diagnosis and the treatment info first hand from the professional helps give the treatment approach validity and gives you encouragement to do the hard work necessary.....If necessary, travel to the Tinnitus Clinic at UNC-Greensboro. It's certainly worth the travel time and expense and the small cost of the visit itself to rid oneself of such an annoying, anxiety-provoking TMS equivalent. The staff is wonderful at this clinic.
Go to Top of Page

joela

USA
44 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2006 :  14:18:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Fox! I had read your post from awhile ago and immediately went to that cite but wasn't sure how to apply it instead of finding a TRT. Do you have any suggestions? Thanks for any help!!
Go to Top of Page

Fox

USA
496 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2006 :  15:18:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
TRT is very complicated stuff. You need to read and re-read EVERYTHING on that web site. From what I remember, the main idea is that the ringing is something everyone hears as background noise in their head/ears but certain sensitive, obsessive, fearful individuals (read TMSers) at certain points in their lives start paying more attention to these noises and start perceiving these noises as a threat to their well-being and a distraction. (Plus my personal belief is that the brain is cutting down blood supply to the that region of the ear so that may cause some of the ringing.) Individuals start to think that the ringing is aggravated by exposure to moderate or loud noises so they start wearing ear plugs or doing other stuff to avoid noises that are innocuous and normal to our environment. (Very few noises are loud enough decibel-wise to cause ear damage and these usually must be or a prolonged nature.) Conditioning comes into play so that the ringing comes on after exposure to certain noises because you expect it to happen and you start searching for the ringing in your head until you do perceive it....The basic cure is to realize that, yes, the ringing is a physical phenomenom but your perception of it is and distraction because of it is purely psycological. TRT theory says you must not avoid loud noise (except REAL loud noise like gunshots), and in fact, you must expose yourself to nearly constant noise like a radio or TV left on, fans on, and sleeping with a sound making machine. This is called sound conditioning....Of course, you should throw in a little Sarno and search for any anger....I hope I haven't gotten the TRT and the Sarno stuff too comingled....Read the site, try it, and if it doesn't work, fork out the money to fly to Greensboro.
Go to Top of Page

joela

USA
44 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2006 :  15:56:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Fox. I'll read it again.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: