TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 TMS and Chemical Sensitivities
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

alohadude

2 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2006 :  11:34:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is anyone using the Sarno approach successfully with multiple chemical sensitivities? If so, I'd really like to hear from you. I've had some resistance to making the connection between TMS and MCS, but I'm at a point where I have no choice, and I'd love to have some support on this journey. The symptoms seem so real, so physical, so intense, and so rooted in a "toxic environment." Thanks!!!

Fox

USA
496 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2006 :  07:58:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It has been suggested on this forum to gradually introduce yourself to the chemicals you fear/react to - the desensitization approach. But, personally, I haven't had the guts to force myself to do this.
Go to Top of Page

n/a

32 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2006 :  16:41:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi there,
Haven't posted on this message board for a looong time but this topic caught my interest. I have had much success using Sarno's approach in dealing with back pain and knee pain over the years. I also have chemical sensitivities but couldn't find much on it related to Sarno's approach. I did find this book by Herman Staudemayer called "Environmental Illness: Myth and Reality". It is similar in some ways to Sarno's ideas but is very focused as it cites measurable scientific experiments on how people respond to different chemical and odors depending on if they are told the chemicals are present or not. It has chapters on how chemical sensitivities can be related to learned responses, somatization, and anxiety and panic attacks and past childhood trauma. It also does point out that there are actual toxic chemicals that can cause problems if the doses are large enough but that the body is usually able to clear them out with proper medical treatment. I don't agree with everything Dr. Staudemayer states but the book did make me question my reactions to chemicals and odors and helped me stop the increased anxious thoughts which only served to make my response worse. I was intrigued enough to call Dr. Staudemayer personally and question a few points. He's very much a research scientist and not the "touchy-feely" sort of person. (He hadn't heard of Sarno) Dr. Staudenmayer is a psychologist who uses confrontation with the facts learned from the scientific experiments in order to help people with chemical sensitivies and also does biofeedback to help them learn a relaxation response when they are around chemicals or odors. He usually does short term work. He has an office in Denver.
His book is very expensive ($109.00) but you can get a used copy for $37.00. It is thick and it is a textbook and NOT a general interest book. You really have to go slow to understand the scientific research but there is a lot in it that helped me start questioning my physiological responses. I can now walk into places that have chemicals where before I would feel anxious and dizzy. I can talk myself down from going into a complete spaced out reaction. Using the scientific facts found in the book helped me confront the fears my mind would generate and stop the chemical sensitivity response, which is similar to part of Sarno's treatment of physical pain. I'm not completely recovered. I still have a strong reaction to some perfumes--especially those in some fabric softeners. In talking to Dr. Staudenmayer on the phone he helped me see that this can relate to feeling angry and violated by others and their overbearing scents.
Anyway, I'm still working on this and wanted to share.

-Lisa

P.S. Dr. Staudenmayer's book can be found on Amazon.

Here's the link:

http://www.amazon.com/Environmental-Illness-Reality-Herman-Staudenmayer/dp/1566703050/sr=8-1/qid=1159048876/ref=sr_1_1/002-2209594-1024828?ie=UTF8&s=books

Go to Top of Page

alohadude

2 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2006 :  19:42:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Lisa. I'll check out Staudemayer's book on Amazon. Not long ago I would have bristled if anyone suggested that the MCS was psychologically based, but what you wrote of Staudemayer's findings rings true and would give me a basis for doing the Sarno work on the MCS, since Sarno says that it's important to get a clear diagnosis to assure the patient that the symptoms are not pathological.
Go to Top of Page

n/a

32 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2006 :  23:03:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Alohadude,

I also, would have jumped all over someone who suggested that the source of MCS was psychological. I really see this as having a strong psychological/physical connection instead of either all one or the other. After coming into contact with an environmental toxin, the anxiety really whips the flames into a raging wildfire in the body. Sometimes, you don't even know when it's happening as the smell can immediately trigger the anxiety and the resulting reaction can occur almost instantaneously. The olfactory (smell) part of the brain is directly near the limbic system (where the anxiety-producing fight-or-flight system lives). Smelling a chemical odor, feeling anxious, then having physiological symptoms quickly becomes a conditioned response. Calming down the mind with facts and learning to turn down the body's hyperarousal state is key.

If you do get the book, I suggest you read it with an open objective mind and don't take offense when he talks about MCS patients in a clinical manner. Several times, while reading the book, I had to put it down and breathe or take a walk, in order to not get defensive.

I also stopped reading about MCS on MCS websites as I found this would make my symptoms worse. (By the way, the MCS community is very negative regarding Staudemayer as he has testified against workers claims regarding MCS triggered by the job.)

I personally feel strongly about taking care of our world environment and see the need to regulate companies from putting out toxic emmissions. My environmental activist beliefs have not changed since reading this book, but my control over how much the toxins affect me has. I still absolutely hate most fabric softener odors (whoever chose the stong scent in the bounce fabric sheets should have their head examined!) but I know that much of my physiological reaction can be toned down if I calm down and realize that it is an odor that I dislike versus a chemical that will do me harm.

You can email me if you would like for any further info.

--Lisa
Go to Top of Page

Wavy Soul

USA
779 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2006 :  09:06:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is very interesting to me. I have been using a very self-confrontive approach on chemical sensitivities for years. Kinda like, "Nope, we're not going there."

When I was young my mum sent me to the drycleaning machine to do the family's clothes, and I passed out from the fumes. Some years ago I started to feel myself going down a slippery slope towards increased chem sens and did a session in which I remembered this incident. I was very pissed that my mom sent me to do this, but I was very pissed with my mom for other reasons, and the two stimuli - my rage and the smell - became bonded in my circuits.

I still can hardly stand new carpet (and would certainly not choose to live with it if I had the choice) and that Bounce smell is ghastly. But I have convinced myself many times, especially while traveling, that my intelligent body, being an expression of divine infinite source, can process and release any chemicals and renew itself with fresh chi, etc. It has worked quite well.

Following the conversation with interest...

x

Love is the answer, whatever the question
Go to Top of Page

jmulcahy

10 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2008 :  09:08:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes! I had complete success curing my severe MCS with Dr. Sarno's approach. It was difficult for me to make the connection, too, even after having rid myself of IC and pelvic pain. But, it's definitely a manifestation of TMS. The symptoms ARE real, but they are harmless and are caused by the brain, just like back pain.

Your post is an older one so I'll keep this short, but PLEASE contact me if you need to. I;d love to help.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000