TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 Quit Cymbalta... symptoms returning
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

sagelady

USA
61 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2008 :  10:12:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you read my first post, you'll read my story, so I won't rehash on that.
I go to see Dr. Schubiner on Wed. Very excited and alittle nervous about that. Excited because i totally believe in the mind-body connection. nervous because there remains that doubt that it applies to my circumstances. Thus the reason to see him. As long as that douby remains, and I don't have a formal diagnosis of TMS, I can't give 100% to the work.
Now for my question... I was on cymbalta for for a couple of months. During that time symptoms did seem somewhat better. Numb baby toes and lateral heels remained. Although not as intense. i also had prior to the Cymbalta. An odd sensation in little and ring finger on left hand. And some numbness or more like hypersensitivity on outside of R knee. I had IT band pain to touch and severe pressure point on ouside of buttocks. Also alot of low back/tailbone pain and pressure. These all went away after being on the Cymbalta for awhile. Just the numb toes remained, but less intense. i had to go off the Cmbalta, it was raising my liver enzymes ( back to normal now). And also after reading Sarnos books, I wanted to get off the band-aid drugs.I quit it agout 3 weeks ago. Now the previously mentioned symptoms are returning. My hypothesis on all this, is in fact that this is TMS and not some structural/organic problem, because the symptoms are returning when the drug was taken away. If it were organic the Cymbalta shouldn't have changed the symptoms while on it. Hope you understand my theory. My reason for posting is to see if you all agree with this theory?
My Dr. offered to put me on effexor instead. there is a part of me that says yes, as i am quite sure this would again minimize the symptoms. but the logical mind says don't do it. Work through this without the drug. don't cover it up, but deal with the mind cause. but the symptoms really take over my life. they lead to such great anxiety and panic attacks. i want to be strong and do this the right way. But i want my life back NOW. This has been going on for 8 months now. The numbness is only there when i stand, gone when i lay down. Another reason I believe this is part of the Pavlow theory. i have conditioned myself with fear, prior to getting out off bed, how soon will the symptoms return apon standing?
Of course I was diagnosed with a L-5 S-1 protrusion. And they say fusion. Just can't except that. Plus i know of all the failed back surgeries. So i pray that this is TMS and that Dr. Schubiner can convince me of this diagnosis. So i can believe and therefore do the work to get my life back. I also have been diagnosised with generalized anxiety diorder, based on medical fears.

thanks for listening, hope to hear some feedback that helps me validate my theory.

Sagelady

Odrog

27 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2008 :  17:36:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just started reading Sarno's "The Divided Mind" (after reading Healing Back Pain). In the first few pages he says the biggest challenge is for people to accept the MindBody diagnosis - most people won't get better until they accept/believe the diagnosis full heartedly. He also said that only 10 to 15% of patients DO accept the diagnosis. This is why when you see some pretty obvious symptoms in a close friend, and you tell them about mindbody disorders because you care about them and want them to get better, you should expect the friend to be offended and to reject your idea! :)

I think in your case it will be helpful to see all the docs you need to see in order to remove that roadblock of doubt and move on to getting better. Best wishes to you!
Go to Top of Page

armchairlinguist

USA
1397 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2008 :  01:24:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
they lead to such great anxiety and panic attacks.

If your symptoms are so bad that they would interfere with you being able to do the mental work required to complete Sarno's program, then he recommends that you stay on a medication regime that works for you and taper off gradually as you feel more confident. I think you should definitely talk to Dr. Schubiner about this issue.

--
It's not 100% belief that's required, but 100% commitment.
Go to Top of Page

sagelady

USA
61 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2008 :  02:32:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanxs armchairlinguist and odrog,
I will ask Dr. Schubiner about this.

But about my theory, is this more proof that it is TMS? Having symptoms get better on Cymbalta, and worse when quitting? Anybody with thoughts on this?

Sage
Go to Top of Page

stanfr

USA
268 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2008 :  06:48:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Sagelady. Not being a pharmaceutical expert, i cant comment on what effects Cymbalta might have on you and what that all means as far as TMS is concerned. What i will say is that your story is classic 100% stress-related disorder, and the anxiety that just oozes from your story aint helping you any. I would just urge you not to get hung up on what anything specific like that means. Stop dwelling on the doubt and start dwelling on the belief. Start talking to your mind, out loud and/or to yourself, and let it know that you are in control and that these ruses are not going to derail you. And maybe take a vacation or something
Go to Top of Page

sagelady

USA
61 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2008 :  07:49:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thanxs Stan- until you see your own story on paper... it's hard to see outside the box. But I guess your right, my story does "ooz" with TMS and anxiety. Can't wait till Wed. to see Dr. Schubiner, get a formal diagnosis and start the work to go with it.

Sage
Go to Top of Page

Littlebird

USA
391 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2008 :  01:26:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Sage,

Shortly before I learned of TMS I was having serious problems with neuro type symptoms, on top of other types of sx. I had started with numbness in my two little toes and over time it had spread, into my calf on the left side and up to my waist on the right. Then I developed patches within the numb areas that felt like they were on fire. I also began having problems with my fingers twitching, my abdominal and back muscles twitching, and some other sx that seemed to be helped somewhat by the Neurontin I was taking, although it didn't eliminate any of the sx. But I decided to try weaning off the Neurontin because of side effects and other issues. However, the neuro type sx got worse, so I gave up and went back to the higher dose.

Then I read The Divided Mind. All the neuro type sx started going away, so I immediately began cutting down the Neurontin again, and was soon weaned off, with no return of the sx. I'm not rid of all my other sx yet, but am so glad that the numbness, burning and twitching went away. They were the last sx that I had developed over the years, and I'd only had them for about a year when I learned of TMS, so maybe that was part of the reason that they went away quickly.

For me, the concept in Armchairlinguist's signature about 100% commitment, rather than 100% belief, has been true. I didn't have to eliminate doubts totally to see progress, I just had to accept that psychological factors can cause physical symptoms and that the stuff going on in my life was definitely causing psychological distress. I had the advantage of having already connected my physical sx with overwhelming emotions, so even though I had previously believed that the stress was causing permanent damage to my body, thus causing all the sx, it was pretty easy for me to drop that idea and accept the TMS concept, rather than feeling like I had to continue searching for every possible physical cause for the sx before committing to TMS work. I'd also had a lot of testing done that had found nothing serious, only the typical degenerative disc "problems" common to my age group, so that helped make it easier to accept TMS as the cause too.

It's hard to feel like you don't really know where you stand. I hope your visit to the Doctor will give you the confidence you need to get into TMS work with the belief that it can help. Let us know how it goes.

Go to Top of Page

sagelady

USA
61 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2008 :  02:38:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
WOW Littlebird,
I didn't realize there were others out there with such profound neuro symptoms like mine. Not that neuro symptoms are any worse than pain, they are just so scary.
Thanks for taking the time to share with me. Like you said i am hoping Dr. Schubiner will give me the confidence i need to start working on the issues and get my life back. I'll post wfter i see him tomorrow.

sage
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000