TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 Symptoms are switching--what to do??
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

stanfr

USA
268 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2007 :  01:44:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ive been doing my best to give no time to my psoriasis, which flared up big time after i had a septoplasty in February to correct a deviated septum that i thought was causing sinus colds/congestion.
Well, after months of doing battle, the psoriasis seems to be calming down. Unfortunately--the friggin congestion has returned, only now it's predominantly on my left side (my deviated septum was on the right). I quite frankly dont know why the stinkin tms gremlin shifted to psoriasis in the first place, since the extreme sinus pressure i had before was plenty distracting enough and made me lose much sleep!

Here's the question: I know this symptom is thriving on my doubt, since i made the mistake of reading info on the web that claims if your septum is deviated, the opposite side will be prone to congestion due to turbinate enlargement, and i didnt have my turbinates reduced in the surgery. My surgeon said he thought there might be some "thickening" on the left side that was contributing to the congestion there. I don't know if he was making that up to satisfy me or whether there is really some physical congestion. I suspect that the tms gremlin is just messing with the left side turbinate, same way it did before the surgery. Should i go back to the doctor to try to remove all doubt?? Or is that just likely to reinforce the doubt?

Edited by - stanfr on 08/28/2007 01:46:48

stanfr

USA
268 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2007 :  10:21:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was just reading la-kev's post, and it reminded me that
IM REALLY #$#@!!#%&*@!-off that I CANT GET A STINKIN SINGLE decent NIGHTS REST because of some %&^#^@% parasite inside me that seems to get perverse pleasure out of making me feel like ****!!!!
there, i feel a little better now.
Go to Top of Page

OUCHTHE PAIN

USA
11 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2007 :  18:28:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by stanfr

Ive been doing my best to give no time to my psoriasis, which flared up big time after i had a septoplasty in February to correct a deviated septum that i thought was causing sinus colds/congestion.
Well, after months of doing battle, the psoriasis seems to be calming down. Unfortunately--the friggin congestion has returned, only now it's predominantly on my left side (my deviated septum was on the right). I quite frankly dont know why the stinkin tms gremlin shifted to psoriasis in the first place, since the extreme sinus pressure i had before was plenty distracting enough and made me lose much sleep!

Here's the question: I know this symptom is thriving on my doubt, since i made the mistake of reading info on the web that claims if your septum is deviated, the opposite side will be prone to congestion due to turbinate enlargement, and i didnt have my turbinates reduced in the surgery. My surgeon said he thought there might be some "thickening" on the left side that was contributing to the congestion there. I don't know if he was making that up to satisfy me or whether there is really some physical congestion. I suspect that the tms gremlin is just messing with the left side turbinate, same way it did before the surgery. Should i go back to the doctor to try to remove all doubt?? Or is that just likely to reinforce the doubt?

Go to Top of Page

OUCHTHE PAIN

USA
11 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2007 :  18:36:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Argh - no time to edit when mistakes are made! (And I seem to keep doing it - sorry)!

Just wanted to say I too had the sinus surgery about 20 years ago. I think it is BS. It changed absolutely nothing concerning the frequency or the severity of my sinus problems which continue to this day. Do you believe allergies and/or sinus problems are a symptom of TMS? And if so, why did you allow the surgery? Or were you thinking psoriasis is a symptom but sinus troubles are not?

Go to Top of Page

stanfr

USA
268 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2007 :  09:53:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am now 110% convinced my sinus problems are TMS/psychosomatic. I wasnt before the surgery. I mistakenly thought my psoriasis was a fungal infection (it was diagnosed after the surgery), and reasoned that maybe the sinus problems were fungal-related as well. My MRI clearly showed the right septum basically closing off my airway, so that was a strong physical doubt, much more so than an MRI of herniated discs since you can't really see a disc-bulge pinching a nerve, but a blocked airway is pretty clear. So, even though i had some suspicians that the increasing sinus colds/congestion were a relapse of TMS, i decided to 'rule out' the septum and then deal with the psyche issues if they still remained. The fact that my symptoms have done nearly a 180 degree reversal (left side now predominantly blocked, but occasional right side) makes it pretty obvious that the deviation had little to do with the congestion.

It's interesting that my psoriasis flared up a few months before my surgery, almost as if my subconscious knew i was trying to thwart the symptoms. After i had the surgery, i had a major
allergic reaction and felt like dying, didn't sleep for 72 hours.
Kind of like my TMS 'gremlin' was p-off that i had the surgery.

Anyhow, i know a number of people who have had excellent results with sinus surgery, interesting though now ive asked some of them if they suffer from any chronic pains, and almost all of them seem to have some 'equivalent' that has replaced the congestion/colds.
Go to Top of Page

FORU

USA
22 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2007 :  16:03:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

I am now 110% convinced my sinus problems are TMS/psychosomatic. I wasnt before the surgery. I mistakenly thought my psoriasis was a fungal infection (it was diagnosed after the surgery), and reasoned that maybe the sinus problems were fungal-related as well.

Its endless isn't it?? If it isn't one thing its another? That is where I'm having a problem understanding Dr. Sarno completely. Admittedly, I've only read ONE of his books. It seemed enough - until this last time it always helped with unexplainable pain. First of all how many symptoms should we attribute to TMS? It seems the list could go on forever. So we should battle TMS for each and every symptom? Doesn't it make more sense to go further and learn to channel or release the feelings that cause so many problems? This board seems to be split on that - beyond agreeing that knowledge of TMS is at least the first step to a cure, and for some the ONLY step needed.

fka something else
Go to Top of Page

Littlebird

USA
391 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2007 :  17:01:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by FORU

Its endless isn't it?? If it isn't one thing its another? That is where I'm having a problem understanding Dr. Sarno completely. Admittedly, I've only read ONE of his books. It seemed enough - until this last time it always helped with unexplainable pain. First of all how many symptoms should we attribute to TMS? It seems the list could go on forever. So we should battle TMS for each and every symptom? Doesn't it make more sense to go further and learn to channel or release the feelings that cause so many problems? This board seems to be split on that - beyond agreeing that knowledge of TMS is at least the first step to a cure, and for some the ONLY step needed.

Hi FORU,

What I've come to believe about the symptoms that can be attributed to TMS is that just about any symptom can be created by the unconscious mind, since it has control of the autonomic nervous system. For example, a "real" cold or the "real" flu are caused by viruses, yet the symptoms we experience are actually the result of actions our immune system takes to battle the virus, so why couldn't the unconscious mind also control the immune system and create the same symptoms even in the absence of the triggering virus? There are some diseases that cause certain types of symptoms the mind may not be able to mimic, but it seems that many, many symptoms can be created through manipulation of the autonomic nervous system.

As for people who don't get relief from their symptoms through just the knowledge of TMS, in his book The Divided Mind, Dr. Sarno says: "Failure to improve is the indication for therapy. Such therapy implies that the reasons for the internal feelings are strong and will not respond to simple recognition. Many patients will deny the existence of rage, for example, at a parent. Others are unable to feel sadness, anger, disappointment, abandonment, and so on."

I think it's possible for us to at least begin to work on acknowledging that these types of feelings exist in us even if we aren't able to go to a therapist. One of the things I really appreciate about this forum is that there are people going to therapy who share some of the things they learn there, which has been very helpful to me in recognizing some of my emotions. I've also found it quite beneficial to read some of the non-Sarno books about emotions that have been recommended by others here.

Some people have suggested that because the emotions in the unconscious are the ones causing the pain, it's a waste of time and effort to try to become aware of what they may be, but that's exactly what Dr. Sarno says we should do. Another comment of his from TDM: "We know from experience that the theoretical wall, the barrier separating the conscious from the unconscious mind, cannot be breached from below--that is, the rage will not break through into consciousness--but there is nothing to stop us from intellectually breaching the barrier from above, from saying, 'I can use my imagination and think of my unconscious as the basement of my mind. I know what's down there even though I can't see or hear it. I have been taught to recognize the inhabitants of my unconscious mind, in all of their dangerous, unflattering detail.'"

Dr. Sarno also says that "suppressed anger (anger we feel but can't express) is internalized and becomes part of the reservoir of rage that brings on TMS." So you are right in saying that learning to channel and release the feelings can help us to avoid TMS.

Go to Top of Page

Singer_Artist

USA
1516 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2007 :  19:36:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For me psoriasis can be TMS, but it also gets worse when i eat dairy products.Hope u feel better soon!
~Karen
Go to Top of Page

stanfr

USA
268 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2007 :  09:39:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

What I've come to believe about the symptoms that can be attributed to TMS is that just about any symptom can be created by the unconscious mind, since it has control of the autonomic nervous system. For example, a "real" cold or the "real" flu are caused by viruses, yet the symptoms we experience are actually the result of actions our immune system takes to battle the virus, so why couldn't the unconscious mind also control the immune system and create the same symptoms even in the absence of the triggering virus? There are some diseases that cause certain types of symptoms the mind may not be able to mimic, but it seems that many, many symptoms can be created through manipulation of the autonomic nervous system.

Exactly. My sinus 'colds' behaved exactly like a real cold; slight fever, congestion, cough, sore throat. Maybe i had an actual virus which just became active due to my immune system being compromised in stress, but i seriously doubt it. Based on my experience, im reasonably sure these episodes were completely brought about by my psyche. That really scares me, because i worry that whatever this causing this has the power to give me a serious medical condition.

The 'standard' Sarno routine worked for me 10 yrs ago. I am at the point where i have to do more, as you said, learn to channel those emotions so that im not in constant 'overdrive'. Otherwise, it is indeed an endless cycle, and im really tired of it.

Edited by - stanfr on 09/03/2007 09:44:35
Go to Top of Page

FORU

USA
22 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2007 :  19:17:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi FORU,

As for people who don't get relief from their symptoms through just the knowledge of TMS, in his book The Divided Mind, Dr. Sarno says: "Failure to improve is the indication for therapy. Such therapy implies that the reasons for the internal feelings are strong and will not respond to simple recognition. Many patients will deny the existence of rage, for example, at a parent. Others are unable to feel sadness, anger, disappointment, abandonment, and so on."

I think it's possible for us to at least begin to work on acknowledging that these types of feelings exist in us even if we aren't able to go to a therapist. One of the things I really appreciate about this forum is that there are people going to therapy who share some of the things they learn there, which has been very helpful to me in recognizing some of my emotions. I've also found it quite beneficial to read some of the non-Sarno books about emotions that have been recommended by others here.

Dr. Sarno also says that "suppressed anger (anger we feel but can't express) is internalized and becomes part of the reservoir of rage that brings on TMS." So you are right in saying that learning to channel and release the feelings can help us to avoid TMS.
Hi Littlebird, I've been away from the board for a while. I'm visiting and just discovered this response. I am so 'in control' of my emotions, I've forgotten how to FEEL. I shelve any emotion that hurts. I put it in a place where I can deal with it when the time is right. The time is never right. So there's a whole bunch of stored up hurts going back about 15 years. About the time I learned to shelve. ;-) It was a defense mechanism I needed to employ at the time, but it stuck. So I can certainly relate to your quote from Dr Sarno!
I'll look into other books on emotions..I have been searching the web for helpful resources. Anything to avoid therapy! Not because I am against it, or think it won't help...I just want to try and help myself!
As for releasing of anger - I mentioned elsewhere today, I discovered making lists helps. Zoning in on the cause of the supposed anger is amazingly freeing!
Anyway, thank you for your post. :-)

fka something else
Go to Top of Page

weatherman

USA
184 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2007 :  01:06:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What to do when symptoms are switching? CELEBRATE!
That's probably the most definite confirmation of something being TMS (not "real") that you can have.

Weatherman

"Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement."
Go to Top of Page

miche

Canada
283 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2007 :  22:25:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I seem to remember Louise Hay saying something about sinus problems as a symptom of being irritated by someone. Just thought I would throw this in !
Go to Top of Page

Penny

USA
364 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2007 :  19:25:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Littlebird
....so why couldn't the unconscious mind also control the immune system and create the same symptoms even in the absence of the triggering virus? There are some diseases that cause certain types of symptoms the mind may not be able to mimic, but it seems that many, many symptoms can be created through manipulation of the autonomic nervous system.

Hi Corey, Haven't seen any posts from you in a while. Good to hear from you. This is really interesting theory. It reminds me of the worst pain I experienced last year.

My fibro pain mimicked the pain of natural childbirth. It was agony. Now when I think about it, I wonder if the reason why I had such TMS pain (fibro) was due to the fact that my body and mind remembered and recreated my labor pains?! Ironically (or not), I suspect that my subconscious had launched TMS-labor pains on me b/c my daughter was about to start kindergarten. I had a ton of unacknowledged anxiety about this, and it was like I was rebirthing her. Perhaps my brain was trying to help me connect to some emotions I had no clue were down in my basement? Or distract me from them?

I definitely think our body remembers the pain we have encountered and reinstitutes it sometimes, to add to the drama and challenges of our lives. I believe that TMS work is something we need to do for life.

Hope you are well!
>|< Penny
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000