TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 Help on Wikipedia
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page  
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

ralphyde

USA
307 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2007 :  11:42:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Today, someone posted on Wikipedia a nomination that the article on "tension myositis syndrome," be speedily deleted, because it is a "Highly biased article that is little more than advertising for the books it uses for "reference"".

I have written a lengthy response justifying the article, but in the meantime several other know-nothings have voted to delete it.

For those of you that know anything about editing Wikipedia, I would ask you to read the article there, and vote whether to delete it or keep it at the specified link.

Thanks,
Ralph

ralphyde

USA
307 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2007 :  13:20:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Now this editor, named Pacula, has gone through Wikipedia and deleted all references to tension myositis syndrome. I have tried to follow and restore, but he's stayed ahead of me. I need some help.

Ralph
Go to Top of Page

ralphyde

USA
307 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2007 :  14:46:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here's the link to the discussion page. As you can see, we are losing, due to the votes of those who know nothing about TMS.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Articles_for_deletion/Tension_myositis_syndrome

And here's the link to the article itself:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tension_myositis_syndrome

Ralph
Go to Top of Page

HilaryN

United Kingdom
879 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2007 :  14:59:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Ralph. I've added a vote. (My first time editing on Wikipedia.)

Is it worth writing to the administrators expressing the concern that the pharmaceutical industry has a vested interest in this entry being deleted?

Hilary N
Go to Top of Page

ralphyde

USA
307 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2007 :  15:35:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for posting, Hilary. As for the "vested interest," that might be worth including in a vote statement. I have posted an "alert" to the administrators, but don't know if it will help.

Also, if you do post a statement on Wikipedia, follow it with four tildes (~~~~) which will automatically sign your name if you have one.

Thanks,
Ralph
Go to Top of Page

mamaboulet

181 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2007 :  16:48:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
how do I post a statement? Do I use the edit function? I've never done anything except read Wiki.
Go to Top of Page

ralphyde

USA
307 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2007 :  17:26:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Now he's marked "symptom imperative" for deletion.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Articles_for_deletion/Symptom_imperative

This guy's on a rampage.

Ralph
Go to Top of Page

mamaboulet

181 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2007 :  17:35:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
he has a lot of rage. Maybe he gets migraines.
Go to Top of Page

ndb

209 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2007 :  18:13:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
sigh...here is a profile for one of the dudes who is for deleting, "Bfigura":

"Hi. I'm a graduate student in chemical engineering, currently in the third year of my program. I'm here to help do my part to fight entropy. I try to help out here by using my expertise in my field, providing third opinions, or fixing neutrality impaired articles. I also occasionally play whack-a-mole by patrolling New Articles and Deletion Today. Bfigura "

Given what we know about TMS, I can't understand how these people can be so militant about deleting the entry! They must have time to kill. This dude should probably focus on getting through grad school. *rolling my eyes* at "help out here by using expertise in my field"...idiot!

I tried to leave a comment, but my IP is for some reason banned from editing at the moment.

Regarding references to Sarno, doesn't kelvin (?) (not remembering the exact username) have a site with many links, perhaps some of them have pointers to where to look for references. What about Candace pert (again, ?) who has some research articles citing Sarno's work? Perhaps some pointers are present on the Seligman Institute site as well.

ndb
Go to Top of Page

skizzik

USA
783 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2007 :  18:42:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mamaboulet

how do I post a statement? Do I use the edit function? I've never done anything except read Wiki.

yes, what do we do?
Go to Top of Page

ralphyde

USA
307 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2007 :  20:25:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just go to the first link above, click on the [edit] box in the upper right, then go to the bottom of the edit box, start with *'''Keep''' ,(three single quotes) then write your message. at the end of it place four tildes. ~~~~
Then go to the button beneath the edit box and click on 'Save Page'.
That's all there is to it.

But first you should give yourself a username by registering, but this may not be necessary.

Ralph
Go to Top of Page

Littlebird

USA
391 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2007 :  00:43:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here's an article in an online magazine that mentions a web site that can be used to identify who is doing the editing, if that might be useful to know. Not sure just how it works though.
http://www.slate.com/id/2172703/fr/flyout
Go to Top of Page

armchairlinguist

USA
1397 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2007 :  00:50:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Did my best, and I am currently and have been an active WP contributor for a while, so hopefully that carries some weight. But I'm afraid there may be too many ignorant people to overcome.

--
Wherever you go, there you are.
Go to Top of Page

stanfr

USA
268 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2007 :  03:02:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thanks for the links, i added my vote, looks like we have some momentum going.
Go to Top of Page

mamaboulet

181 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2007 :  07:35:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, I probably wasn't much help. I'm new to all the details and terribly impatient with smug ignorant people.
Go to Top of Page

AnthonEE

USA
80 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2007 :  09:45:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've added my support as well...
Go to Top of Page

la_kevin

USA
351 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2007 :  23:32:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
WIKIPEDIA is a SH*T HOLE, lol.

They have these little bastards that go around parading and bragging about how they changed "stuff into facts". Little cyber cretins....ALL OF THEM. :)
Go to Top of Page

ndb

209 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2007 :  01:01:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Pearls before swine. I'm trying to figure out my looking within why we feel so bad about the article being deleted. What is going to change in the world if a few more or few less people read about TMS. I feel lucky that I found out about TMS, got out of pain and came away with my sanity and some faith in the ingenuity of man. But I am trying to come to a point where I don't give a damn whether other people find a way out or not.

ndb
Go to Top of Page

HellNY

130 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2007 :  03:40:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Wikipedia is SO lame. It bases decisions on concepts like "consenus" andmaking information "democratic." This is a total misapplication of these concepts to "truth." Thank god for peer reviewed journals and books. At least peer reviewed journals have standars of evidence and no one can just come along and "edit" articles.

There are many controversial things in the world. In good information sources, that stuff is made available, along with separate articles that attempt to refute it. Wikipedia engages in lame ass battles to decide whether it should even EXIST.

This is why wikipedia is laughable. I wouldnt trust it except for run-of-the-mill non-controversial information.

How many other things does Wiki not have because its a controversial topic. Perhaps I should get 2nd hand smoke effects "banned" because its no controversial
Go to Top of Page

mamaboulet

181 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2007 :  06:45:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I found that entire episode very lame. Those strutty people over there (hey you, who came over here and copied our comments, copy this, you maroon. You proved my point nicely.) are all about SMUG IGNORANCE and FAKE rationality. Fake rationality is a common syndrome among a certain group of men in particular (those are the guys who love to say that women and other normal people are "too emotional").
You've all met the type, I'm sure.
Anyway, I'm boycotting Wiki now that I know the kind of people who make the "decisions."
While it would be nice for somebody to be able to look up TMS if they heard about it, they can find other info elsewhere if they look.
Go to Top of Page

Baseball65

USA
734 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2007 :  06:56:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well.... I 'joined' wikipedia so I could vote on that thread, but even than it was awfully confusing. I ended up not doing anything ??????

Besides that, I got the feeling that it was turning into a Healthboards.com sort of thing. The people there seem to want to shout us down. I imagine they are not unlike some of the people who have come to this board to convince us we are deluded.

I rarely cross a person these days who hasn't heard of 'this thing of ours' though maybe not by any of it's names.

suffice it to say that even Sarno acknowledges that most people will reject TMS until they are desperate, and apparently He's right again!!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000