TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 Curious
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

miche

Canada
283 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2007 :  14:53:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am curious to know how many people on this board have been in remission from fibro without the help of an analyst which I cannot afford, I have been doing all the work and I have looked at all old and past wounds for months on end,read and reread Sarno's books,talked to my brain, etc, the program is not working for me and I wonder if I am the exception or if I fall in the majority of fibro sufferers who can't find their way out of this s####

armchairlinguist

USA
1397 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2007 :  16:16:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
miche, it seems like there must be some other options than just plain Sarno or giving up. Have you read a lot of the other books besides Sarno, like Bradshaw or Miller?

--
Wherever you go, there you are.
Go to Top of Page

Penny

USA
364 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2007 :  19:45:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by miche

I am curious to know how many people on this board have been in remission from fibro without the help of an analyst which I cannot afford,

Hi Miche,

I've recovered from FMS and a bunch of other things that left me bedridden and ... well, feeling worse than poo on the bottom of a shoe. The biggest shift happened for me when I just plain right ignored my symptoms and chose to do things I really wanted to do regardless of my pain level. If I have spasms in my back and shoulders, I go running anyway. I let it hurt and just kept going. It stinks but eventually my subconscious gets the msg. For months, and even today, I kept bracing myself for symptoms, but now I react to them differently. I no longer let my pain dictate what I'll do, in any way shape or form.

I have been seeing a psychoT (he doesn't specialize in TMS) but I really don't think therapy was the root of my FMS stopping. I also don't consider my fibro to be in remission--I consider it GONE. I no longer consider fibro at all. (My rheumy thought I had one of the worst cases of fibro he'd seen in someone so young.) Therapy has helped me to make different decisions about self-defeating behaviors, but it hasn't changed my relationship with pain--I did that myself.

That is the secret ... well, my secret, anyway. My relationship to pain is very different. I used to stop everything and feel terrible for myself. Now, I don't stop anything for the pain.

Latest addition to my list of things that "I want to do regardless of my body's reaction" is that I now have a job so I MUST get up early and leave the house every day. The first few weeks my body was giving me tons of reminders about my TMS-natured body--intense headaches, stabbing pains all over my body, brain fog, wrist pain, sinus infection, a rash, intense jaw pain, shoulder pain, and now muscle twitches. It's been very difficult to ignore them b/c these sx had all calmed down next to nothing before I started the job. But I do ... I ignore them and go to work anyway. I have taken Tylenol (which doesn't do much), but that's it.

Instead of lamenting over the way my body is choosing to express itself via pain, I ask myself (almost obsessively) what is my brain trying to distract me from? I didn't expect this but I have been experiencing a ton of insecurities starting my job and my body is doing everything it can to try to convince me to ignore these yucky feelings and focus on the physical. If I focused on the physical, I would stay in bed which would keep me away fromt he people who are making me feel uneasy but I outright refuse to let my body trick me into believing my pain should have more power over me than my desire and choice for this job.

It sucks having such a sensitive body. I really hope I don't make my new choices sound easy or flip, or that I come across as a goody-2-shoes. This isn't easy for me at all: it's a commitment and I've completely made up my mind to change my reaction to pain.

I hope this helps you. Additionally I also listened to Sarno's free programs on Kelvin's site and read Brady's book. All of these helped to reprogram my response to my pain, which for me seems to be the secret to my recovery.

Hang in there, Miche!!!!!

>|< PEnny

Edited by - Penny on 09/10/2007 20:01:00
Go to Top of Page

Penny

USA
364 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2007 :  19:55:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ooops. Sorry 2 replies, I was trying to edit.

Edited by - Penny on 09/10/2007 19:59:43
Go to Top of Page

miche

Canada
283 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2007 :  20:59:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bradshaw, Miller, Brady, no I haven't read any of them, thank's for taking the time to reply, probably my biggest problem is that even though I read a lot of tms like books like molecule of emotions, Louise Haye etc I also read a lot of other books that tell me for instance that food allergies can give one fibro symptoms , or that stomach medication side effects can mimic fibro etc, so that even though I have all this emotional baggage to account for the pain I still wonder if I have these other problems on top of tms instead of putting it down to tms only, does that make sense to you,? so I guess I am being wishy washy about it and failing to succeed. Penny I get extreme fatigue when in a flare, did you have to fight this also? you are giving me hope that maybe I can do this , thank you from the bottom of my heart.
Go to Top of Page

miche

Canada
283 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2007 :  21:46:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Penny I forgot to say that the last time I had a nap was in 1972 when I was pregnant with my first born, I don't let the pain stop me from doing what I need to do either, problem is that I get so bone weary tired at times that I wonder if I can stay standing, I feel that if I don't sit I will collapse , that kind of tired,over an ordinary day at home cooking and cleaning for just my husband and I , can you relate to that? Can this be from tms also? I am only sixty, I look no more than fifty,yet my sister who underwent a stem cell transplant for multiple myeloma has more energy than I do, I do not have a doctor buti have felt this way since I was diagnosed over ten years ago, if it was serious I would be dead by now, had blood work done last year, everything was okay, even my blood pressure is good, no diabetes, no anemia,been on thyroid meds for fifteen years, ulcer meds off and on, have allergies,sinus problems , reflux,that's it, my symptoms were blamed on fibro
Go to Top of Page

judyhorowitz

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2007 :  04:06:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You sound like me. How do I get to Kevin's site for the free Dr. Sarno tapes? What is the name of Dr. Brady's book? On top of the fibro that I've had for years, I have chronic lyme (TMS?) As I sitting here at 5 AM, I have terrible pain in my face. I keep talking to my brain, but I still have it, day after day. Awful. I keep moving and trying to ignore it. Not easy.

judyhorowitz
Go to Top of Page

mamaboulet

181 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2007 :  07:03:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It was the loss of energy that finally drove me to look for a solution. Not having fibro, I know my pain, for the most part, has not been as bad as many here (except that year of the back spasms). But for most of my life people have described me as the energizer bunny. Not this last year or so. Slower and slower and slower and slower, like my batteries going dead. SO tired (I'm only 52).
An extensive over-50 physical exam and tests confirmed that nothing is wrong with my body. My body is working great except for that annoying reflux. So I was finally convinced that it was indeed part of my depression, brain-generated. That means I can take control and make things change. And they are changing. I still feel kinda tired, but now I'm doing way more than I was, and will continue to escalate my activity.

Edited by - mamaboulet on 09/11/2007 07:03:50
Go to Top of Page

armchairlinguist

USA
1397 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2007 :  09:18:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Miche yes, I definitely understand what you mean about wondering if you have a combination. One way you might think about that is to tell yourself "I might, but that means that I can deal with whatever parts are TMS first, then I'll see if there is anything left." So then you can stop worrying about it as much, maybe.

I definitely would recommend Bradshaw's books Healing the Shame that Binds You and The Homecoming, and Alice Miller's The Drama of the Gifted Child. They may give you a new perspective on the issues you are dealing with. I also like a book my therapist recommended by Charles Whitfield, The Child Within. These are all inner child books and don't focus on TMS as such, but all the authors clearly believe and say that emotional ills can cause physical ills.

I wish you the best with your progress.

--
Wherever you go, there you are.
Go to Top of Page

miche

Canada
283 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2007 :  10:07:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good idea armchairlinguist , I firmly believe a good part of it is tms, maybe a bit of depression, can one be a little depressed or is this like being a little pregrant, hum! I know turning sixty was scary for me, I realised that my mom died before she turned seventy, I am the oldest of seven and so far two of my younger sisters have had cancer, I am facing my immortality and instead of appreciating every day that I wake up to, I live in dread, I always had this fear of death even as a young child, maybe we all do , maybe as we age tms is a way of distracting us from our fears of dying, I read about spirituality, reincarnation all the while looking for some reassurance, stupid eh?
Maybe I just have to admit that I am going on sixty one and cannot have the energy that I used to have, in my thirties and forties I was a bundle of energy, tms is not a cure for getting old, it may relieve some of the aches and pain,but it won't make me twenty again, so it is important to be realistic about my expectations I suppose .
So much emphasis is put on looking young now days, having energy and zest, trying to pretend that old age only happens to people who do not take the right supplements, or use the right moisturiser or exersise enough, so much money is being spent on face lifts and breast enlargments and whatever else, it's enough to make one feel guilty if one cannot find a way to turn back the clock .
Go to Top of Page

Penny

USA
364 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2007 :  18:21:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by miche

Penny I get extreme fatigue when in a flare, did you have to fight this also?

Yes, I did, and sometimes still do. It's like my brain is somewhere else, like disconnected. It's very strange surreal feeling. Exhaustion has been a form of TMS for me. When it gets really bad I try to have several early nights paired with nice soak in the tub listening to soothing music. This usually resets me ... but of course it may be placebo, but my brain likes it

In retrospect I look at my brain fog as more part of my depression than my fibro, although the 2 go hand-in-hand. I would never have told you at the time I was depressed, but looking back to last year I can see clearly now that I was. I define depression as not being in touch with my true feelings, stowing the bad feelings til I felt numb and non-reactive. Yes, I do think there are varying stages of depression, and you can be a little depressed.

Miche, Can you e-mail me privately? (Click on my name to get to the e-mail button.)

>|< Penny
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000