TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 Resuming exercise question
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

painintheneck

USA
124 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2007 :  11:14:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am trying to resume normal exercise which means I am getting on the treadmill. I'm pretty out of condition here so I have to start slowly. I started with only 8 minutes @ 2.2 mph and I am up to 12 min @ 2.4 mph.

I've been on the tread all week long and just upped to 12 min on Wednesday from 11 so it has been pretty easy and steady.

Now the thing is I have been feeling crappier. Yesterday I didn't feel so hot and was a bit dizzy and today my pulse is up more than yesterday with same exertion and I feel worse than yesterday (dizzier)after feeling great on Wednesday doing the same thing and felt fine the beginning of the week. I even almost had a bit of panic today after I got off the treadmill even though I was able to head that off by self talk. Oh and btw there is nothing wrong with my heart or lungs that I am aware of.

Ok here's the questions. Did you guys have the ups and downs and fear issues to deal with when starting to work out again and please tell me if I keep going it will pass. I hope it will.

I would appreciate any other advice on this issue.

koukla

70 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2007 :  11:34:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was really afraid to start working out again. My hands and arms started to swell and throb when I got my heart rate up. Presumably that was because of the thoracic outlet that I had. I was very afraid to get on the elliptical machine as well because of the handles. I got over it 2 weeks ago and I am doing it every day for 30 minutes. The first time I tried I was really scared but surprised that it wasn't as bad as I had imagined it would be. My hands start to get stiff and sore once in awhile and I try to ignore it and keep going. I am feeling better overall (emotionally and phyically) after only 2 weeks of being consistent with the exercise and I am glad that I started doing cardio again. I am still afraid of lifting weights though, but I had never done that even before I developed this problem.

My advice would be to keep doing it regardless of how you feel. The crappiness will go away in time and 12 minutes isn't going to hurt you. In fact, if you are out of shape to begin with, starting an exercise program might make you feel a little sore and "crappy" in the beginning. You will get used to it though and learn to like it after some time (probably because of the endorphins). When I first started exercising regularly (before TMS), I started sleeping better and I had way more energy. Now I am noticing the same effects again after starting up again after 1 year. Keep being persistent and your body will thank you eventually.

Carolyn
Go to Top of Page

painintheneck

USA
124 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2007 :  11:46:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you! Glad to hear you are doing better with it too! I'm going to keep at it and keep hoping.
Go to Top of Page

AnthonEE

USA
80 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2007 :  11:57:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by painintheneck

... Did you guys have the ups and downs and fear issues to deal with when starting to work out again and please tell me if I keep going it will pass. I hope it will. ...

Absolutely I had the ups and downs, still do. I've been back in there for almost three months now, and I just keep plowing through as much as I can. I did what you did, get on the treadmill (or elliptical in my case), start easy, and just keep it consistent. I do only what I can do comfortably, especially to get back a positive reinforcement about the experience. My goal is to go home feeling like I'm normal, healthy, and that I just had some productive exercise. Tomorrow I'll be just a little bit stronger. Then I just up the time a little bit each week, very slowly. For me, I also like to stretch for a while after the workout. It's gentle, feels good, adds to the feeling that you're "working out", and it is a rather low risk activity. Helps for relaxation too. And recently I've been adding some strength training. In my particular case that gives me a real boost of positive attitude about my ability to be doing "normal" activity.

I can tell you that there are definitely setbacks though. Speaking for myself, I just ramp the activity slowly, and keep it consistent. But now and then I get too aggressive with something that I haven't done in a long time. It is a little scary how quickly the body can de-condition itself when you are not active. So the next few hours, maybe even days, I realize I have overdone something. It's pretty obvious when you do some light weights with your legs and then cannot go up the stairs for the next day or two without getting a charlie horse. Just a bit humbling, and can even set off a little anxiety or panic sensation too. But then you just take it easy and rest a few days. Next time adjust the weight down a few notches, and do fewer reps. Most importantly, get back to it with the absolute determination to get stronger. You know your body will respond. Even muscles of a 90 year old person will respond. It just takes time, proper level of activity, good nutrition and rest. The important thing is to get on the right pace that fits with your needs.

I don't know what to do about the case when you overdo it, and get "injured" or something that doesn't seem to heal. That's been my problem. If I just try to stubbornly work through some perceived strain or pain, it only seems to get worse. I have found the ability to balance my level of activity to the point that I don't get "hurt", and I try to maintain that level. That's where I find the satisfaction of working out. But once I get a flair up of some "injury", that's where my TMS skills are still developing. Sometimes I can just work through it, and it goes away. Other times I cannot, and it weighs on my anxiety. Very tough balance. But every day is a new day and I have not lost hope. I go home and do some comfort activities, maybe even read some of the TMS books. For me, Marc Sopher's book helps most. My long term goal is to one day return to regular running, maybe even run a respectable 5K like in the good ol' days. I think I'm getting there. I'd be telling a fib if I said it's been an easy road. It has not been.

Edited by - AnthonEE on 12/14/2007 12:03:07
Go to Top of Page

painintheneck

USA
124 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2007 :  20:55:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks so much Anthonee,
I'm determined this time not to retreat in fear so I am going to work to get through the rough patches. I see it might not be an easy path but no other way to find the end.
Go to Top of Page

electraglideman

USA
162 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2007 :  17:45:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
pain, congrats on resuming your physical exercise. I would suggest that once you work up to 25 or 30 minutes on the treadmill to take your walks outside and enjoy the fresh air. Your walks will be much more enjoyable. During your daily walks be in the "now". Forget about the past and don't worry about the future. Just enjoy the outdoor experience. If your like most of us you will have some ups and downs but you will improve as time passes. What ever you do don't set time tables for improvement. We TMS'ers are guilty of doing that.
Go to Top of Page

painintheneck

USA
124 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2007 :  19:58:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Electraglide,
I am looking foreward to getitng back outside again! I'm not a homebody but it is so darn cold this time of year here. My goal is to be in pretty good shape by spring so I can really get out and enjoy it
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000