TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 Update on my situation - help needed!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Zorlee

12 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2008 :  12:07:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi everyone! =)
I just want to thank you guys for giving me the inspiration to get better.
For you that don't know my story, here's a short version:
I'm a 18 year old drummer. I got RSI pain in my forearms that lasted a year and three months. I was pure hell for me!
The 23rd of December 2007 (about 3 weeks ago) I read some internet pages about TMS and finally decided to give it a try, since it sounded logical. Well, I'm now MUCH better. From not being able to do anything really, I now play the drums one hour a day (!), weight train 3 times a week, type as much as I want and play Xbox without real pain.

Although I feel alot better, I'm not completely pain-free. Personally, my main goal is not to get pain-free, but my main goal is to get my life back! And I have managed to do that now (at least up to 80-90%!) and I'm beyond happy because of this.
I'm just wondering what else I can do to get completely painfree?
I'm not thinking "I need to get pain free NOW" like I did before, I'm enjoying my life and I really don't have a rush getting 100%, but since you guys know a lot about this, then maybe you could give me some tips and tricks how to prevent flareups and how to get 100%.

I haven't read any of the TMS books (Sarno etc.), I've just read around on this forum + some other internet pages.
The only thing I've done to get my results is truly meaning and believing:
- I'm not afraid of pain!
- My main goal is not to get pain free right away - my main goal is to get my life back. Then maybe I will get painfree after a while!
- Focusing on my arms all the time will only cause pain!

I haven't tried journaling, diving into my emotions etc. I want to read The Mindbody prescription though, so that is probably the first thing I should do?
You guys have any other good tips and tricks how to "stay healthy" in the long run? I mean, I've experienced good results these three weeks, but you know... Three weeks isn't THAT long, so I'm just a little afraid sometimes that this might return, and everything will go back. But then I try to say to myself the three points I've written above, and it seems to help me!

Thank you for reading this!
Yours sincerely,
Zorlee

koukla

70 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2008 :  12:15:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It seems like you answered your own question. You listed a number of things that you haven't done yet and I think you should try them all. Especially read the books. Healing Back Pain helped me the most, but MBP was also really great.
Go to Top of Page

Zorlee

12 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2008 :  12:20:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, but I really don't know the concept of journaling and giving my emitions attention etc., I've just heard about here, but with no guide how to do so.
That again might because I haven't read the books, but you know... Hehe! =)
Go to Top of Page

qso

USA
52 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2008 :  12:22:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Excellent results. Probably others have variations on advice from this point but here's mine:

1. Update you goal to be 100% free. Your subconscious will take your lower goal literally.
2. Definitely read the books - I would start with the latest one "Divided Mind". This will help seal the re-wiring of your brain that you have achieved.
3. De-programming and de-conditioning is important to prevent return of the symptoms, flare-ups and reappearance of the TMS in a different form. Fred Amir's book gives very good advice on the de-conditioning.

QSO
Go to Top of Page

Zorlee

12 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2008 :  12:26:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
About updating my goal to 100% -
I'm just a little afraid that this will cause stressful feelings, like not being happy with the results if it's pain involved - thus getting me back to square one!
Go to Top of Page

qso

USA
52 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2008 :  12:41:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's precisely why it's hard to acheive.
You have just got to let go and trust your brain (ok that's hard to do cos it did this to you in the first place..but it knows how to undo it..you were normal once right? Your brain has not forgotten). Reading the books will help you do that. But you must be adamant (honestly to yourself) that you at least *want to* fix the problem *completely*.
Go to Top of Page

Zorlee

12 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2008 :  12:47:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Maybe it will work if my goal is:
I want to get 100% good to go! Even though this is my goal, I won't get discouraged if I feel pain, because I'm not afraid of it and know that my emotions are creating this problem.

What do you think?

Edited by - Zorlee on 01/10/2008 12:47:40
Go to Top of Page

qso

USA
52 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2008 :  13:27:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sounds good. Repeat that to yourself especially if it tries to return, think it and feel it with a "I know what you're trying do but it won't fool me" kind of attitude, as if telling off a small child.
Go to Top of Page

Zorlee

12 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2008 :  14:22:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks! I will do that!
Go to Top of Page

koukla

70 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2008 :  17:37:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The book Pain Free for Life by Scott Brady has a lot of useful info on journaling.
Go to Top of Page

campbell28

80 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2008 :  16:22:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
what I found most useful initially was writing down a list of all the things that could be affecting me emotionally. and this means EVERYTHING - everything from big scary things to little frustrating things. It really helps to see a long list and realise how many things could have been bubbling away in your brain.This includes:

1. stuff in the recent past you think could have contributed to you developing TMS ie. were you under pressure at college / in a relationship / going through any sort of stress at the time it started to flare up.

2. Stuff that you are finding stressful right now (DON'T include anything physical in this ie. i am stressed because my arms aren't 100 per cent better. Phrase it differently to yourself: I am still afraid of causing myself pain, but I know its OK to be afraid, and I know the pain has no physical cause)

3. Stuff from the past that could have contributed - did you have a difficult childhood etc. or even if you didn't, is there anything to do with your family you might be subconsciously angry about. However happy your family life is, there is almost always SOMETHING about it that could affect you emotionally - because families are like that.

The more you focus on the emotional stuff, the more it starts to make sense that this is what is causing the TMS.

The most important thing to do is read the books though (I found the mind-body prescription more helpful because it specifically mentions RSI whereas the Divided Mind talks about carpal tunnel. It is also more concise and more specific to diagnosis / treatment, whereas the Divided Mind has quite a long section at the beginning about the general problem of mind-body disorders).

Hope this helps.
Go to Top of Page

Zorlee

12 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2008 :  17:53:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It really does, thanks!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page