TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 Testing lower back pain, sciatic progress
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

jdshetterly

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2008 :  22:38:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello again. This is my 2nd post, but had another question that I've been wondering about since I started my recovery treatment back in mid-Jan. I'm still trying to repudiate my L5, S1 herniated disc (ruptured too), but am about 80% better now. The question I have is: I wonder if people test their progress by doing certain movements or exercises to test their pain? I would imagine so and wonder if they do and feel pain, do they stop, or try to work through it and consciously shift their thinking to rage factors (psychological thinking).

I am a runner and weight lifter and my pain and leg weakness has not entirely subsided to a point where I can run just yet. My sciatic pain is in my left leg and I cannot quite stretch or bend over at the waist yet. I can only bend about 50-70% so far. Much improved from where I've come in 5 weeks, but wonder if people have had good experience pushing the pain boundaries and trying to shift their thinking during this pain, or just back off and keep doing the treatment, meditation, reading, journaling, until the pain goes away 100%. At this point, then try the bending, and full range of exercising. Curious what people's experiences have been, knowing about Sarno's discussion of conditioning and programming.

Thanks for any feedback!

Dave

USA
1864 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2008 :  10:51:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
I wonder if people test their progress by doing certain movements or exercises to test their pain?

No no no ... this is totally contradictory to the entire treatment process. It puts your focus on the pain instead of in the psychological domain.

I believe it is important not to track your progress. Do not get caught up in day-to-day fluctuations in your symptoms. Expect ups and downs, including the possibility that symptoms may get worse before they get better.

Just do the work and keep a long-term view. Treating TMS is not like taking antibiotics for a week to clear up an infection. It is a lifelong change in the way you think about and respond to symptoms. It is a reconditioning process, and it takes time and persistence.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000