TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 Back from Dr. Schubiner
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

sagelady

USA
61 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2008 :  02:49:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
After spending 2 hours with me, I do have a diagnosis....TMS !!!

He spent the first hour going over everything in my past, from chilhood to present. Then a physical neurological exam. He went over all my test results i brought. And then went on to explain, why i have this and how the brain interprets this as physical symptoms. he gave me alot of written homework to do prior to starting the workshop in the beginning of March .

I left there with no numbness in my toes, or pain in my legs. It stayed gone for hours. Returning slightly last night before bed. It will be interesting to see if it remains less today as the euphoria wears off. I will do my best to talk to my mind as the symptoms try to return.

I can't post to much this morning as I am off to work. but will post more when I get a chance. Believe it or not, he didn't suggest i stay away from the internet. But rather post here, tell everyone about my diagnosis. That this will help validate in my mind, that I have TMS. And that others will help reaffirm my diagnosis.

Talk again soon,
Sage

pan

United Kingdom
173 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2008 :  03:44:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Congratulations on getting the dx that you can feel you can take forward and move on from.

I live in the UK and TMS as a dx would be extremly unlikely....having said that, I don't need a GP to tell me that the mind can have a truly adverse effect on the body.

good luck
Go to Top of Page

mizlorinj

USA
490 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2008 :  07:09:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sage--how wonderful and relieving to you!
Now continue on the path to healing by "doing the homework." It works!

-Lori
Go to Top of Page

Odrog

27 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2008 :  08:02:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you have some time later to post more details, I'm very interested in knowing:

1) What specifically is "the homework"?

2) What generally (not specifically) did you talk about (was it like traumatic events in your life or something?)

3) If you don't mind sharing, how much did this cost you? And how many additional sessions do you expect (or was it just a one time thing?)

Glad you have more assurance (peace of mind) about your condition, I am certain you will get better.

Edited by - Odrog on 02/21/2008 08:05:15
Go to Top of Page

Tatianne

Canada
4 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2008 :  11:23:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Im so thrilled that you finally have found out whats wrong and are now able to really begin your road to recovery !! Fabulous news !

I would love to here are the answers to Odrogs questions because they are the exact same things Im wondering about....

Especially what your homework is...
Cant wait to hear from you
T
Go to Top of Page

armchairlinguist

USA
1397 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2008 :  11:46:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Woot! Welcome to the world of the pain-free and soon-to-be. :-)

--
It's not 100% belief that's required, but 100% commitment.
Go to Top of Page

HilaryN

United Kingdom
879 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2008 :  16:24:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That sounds great!

pan, there is a TMS clinic in the UK:

painreliefwestyorkshire.co.uk

Hilary N

Edited by - HilaryN on 02/21/2008 16:25:42
Go to Top of Page

cheryld10

13 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2008 :  22:46:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sage, that's wonderful!! I'm so happy for you! It must feel great to have that type of validation! I would love that!

Please do share with us everything you can and want to about the process.

Yay, you're on your way to recovery!!

Cheryl
Go to Top of Page

sagelady

USA
61 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2008 :  05:34:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As promised ... more on the consultation,

1) What specifically is "the homework"? As mentioned, get on the internet, talk about my dx, this will help validate in the unconscious mind that this is TMS, and only TMS.
Also given a packet to complete before workshops. In it are lists to complete. ie: what were past stessors in your life. Things that brought anger, fear, hurt etc.. Another list for present stressors. One to list your personality traits.And about 5 other lists. Each one gives you an A through Z space to write. ( gosh he must think I'm a mess. )
Also to reread a couple of chapters in Sarns presciption book every day or two.
Talking to your brain when symptoms occur. That you don't need these symptoms anymore.
Do something that makes you feel good each day.

2) What generally (not specifically) did you talk about (was it like traumatic events in your life or something?)
In the 2 hours we covered most everything. Starting from childhood through the present. He stopped me for details at certain points. Giving me some insight on how these events in earlier years shaped my personality. Never blaming childhood for developing TMS, just how whether good or bad, these events shape us. It made sense.
Then he took me in an exam room, did the usual listen, "thump", prod exam. You know heart, lungs neuro. Walk, bend, stand etc.. then back to his office. Explained his findings after reviewing the "stacks" of teast results i brought.
That yes, I am the perfect TMS specimen. And that he wouldn't just say that to loop me in. As he boosts a 80-85% cure rate. And if he wasn't selective in his patients ( ones that truely have TMS) that wouldn't be the case. And the % is based on follow up, not done by him. But independant groups, looking at TMS theory. Unbias if you will.

3) If you don't mind sharing, how much did this cost you? And how many additional sessions do you expect (or was it just a one time thing?)
The consultation was covered by my insurance. He is an internal medicine Dr., so it was just as any other Dr. visit. I have to go to 3 weeks of workshop. Once a week. This is $250.00 not covered by insurance. These workshops is where we go over the lists i have to complete. And the essay I have to write ( forgot to mention that). And he explains in more detail how the emotion upheaval turns into physical symptoms. And how to break that chain.

Hope this covers all the questions. I will mention that yesterday, the day after my appointment. I worked real hard at "talking" to my brain. And the symptoms were much better. Not gone, but 75% better.

Also through this site found the link to on of our members TMS recovery sites. TMS-recovery.com What GREAT articles on help getting started. i printed them off and read them every chance i get. Sorry the posters handle slips my mind at the moment. If your out there reading this, chime in, and THANKYOU !!! Keep up the great work and good look on your book. I will certainly purchase and read when your done. Maybe a signed copy

Well I'm off again this morning. I have my last physical therapy appt. I will no longer be needed it. But they have all been so nice, I'm going to take them a treat. And a formal good bye i think will signal an end to the structural belief, and a start to the mental therapy that is the key to my cure.

Would love to hear feedback on this post. As I think this will also validate and help in my getting started. Another words, hand holing welcome.

Best to all,
Sage
Go to Top of Page

Odrog

27 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2008 :  13:21:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the reply, sounds great Sage, must be nice to know that you are on the path to healing! I'll check out the link you mentioned.
Go to Top of Page

armchairlinguist

USA
1397 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2008 :  15:12:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
gosh he must think I'm a mess.

Nah, just normal! We all have stresses and emotions. It's not acknowledging that that makes for the crazy.

Sounds like you are doing great. Congrats!

--
It's not 100% belief that's required, but 100% commitment.
Go to Top of Page

Wavy Soul

USA
779 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2008 :  14:38:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is absolutely MARVELLOUS. As I read it I could imagine that it was me there at the doc, with my test results, etc., getting - beyond any doubt - the TMS diagnosis.

I feel as though you are doing it for me, so thank you.

xx

Love is the answer, whatever the question
Go to Top of Page

mala

Hong Kong
774 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2008 :  02:01:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
I left there with no numbness in my toes, or pain in my legs. It stayed gone for hours. Returning slightly last night before bed. It will be interesting to see if it remains less today as the euphoria wears off. I will do my best to talk to my mind as the symptoms try to return.

Congratulations, Congratulations!!

How cool is that and what a tremendously wonderful example of how the mind influences the body. What a great feeling and sense of relief it must have been to hear straight from the horse's mouth that you have tms. The fact that you had no pain as you left his office is absolute proof of the fact that the subconcious plays a huge part in tms and there is no doubt whatsoever that it is the reason for your pain. Keep this point foremost in your mind as you embark on your journey to a pain free existence.

Good Luck & Good Health
Mala
Go to Top of Page

sagelady

USA
61 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2008 :  07:21:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
An update since my Dr. Schubiner visit last Wed.

Of course the numbness returned Thursday, somewhat. I tried yelling at my brain. Came up with a mantra. I think it helped keep it from increasing, as the numbness was not as severe.

Friday- not a good day. Numbness was moderate. Yelling at my brain didn't seem to help. But I also questioned my belief that MY issues where TMS. I totally believe in the theory, just questioned if this was my case. Started my journaling Friday night. Also emailed with response a fellow board member that has a handle on this TMS "stuff". Couldn't quite figure out how to tell the subconscious that I believe. Even though consciously I DO believe. But without that 100% belief, I couldn't start healing.
He gave me some priceless tips. To gather evidence against any structural beliefs. Make a diary for the day of when the numbness starts, and what I am doing. When it jumps from foot to foot, heal to toe. When it goes away etc.. you get the idea.Then by looking back I sould see how ridiculous it seems, and how structurely it couldn't move around like that. Heal in seconds, to return somewhere else.

Saturday, I went about my daily routine. Not dwelling on the symptoms, not "babying" my back. Cleaned house all day. Jotting down the numbness by the hour. The numbness over all was very little. but what was there did it's usual dance from little toe, to little toe. To no toes but one heel. It changed over 30 TIMES !! And as the day when on, and I ignored the numbness ( other than to quickly write down its location) it got less.

This morning Sunday, only been up a couple of hours, but numbness is minimal. And my belief this is not structural is stronger. So hopefully, no let me rephrase that, I have it on the run. And rather than yell at my brain. I told the inner child, it's ok. See we can do this. I will deal with your emotions, but you don't need to play this symptom schurade with me. We will work on this together, and you will be ok.

Sound strange I'm sure, but this is the tactic I'm going to try for today. I still worry it's going to come back with a vengance and that I will again question the diagnosis. but for now I will attempt this stratagy. I recieved an email from Dr. Schubiner, the workshop starts monday March 3rd.For 3 consecutive Mondays. I can't wait. I hope I have a jump on it, starting my work before the workshop.

Just wanted to update all. You have given me great insight and armour. The hand holding would be appreciated as I start this journey. So for those of you cured, or near cure, please post with suggestions and leadership. For those of you lurking, or not sure of the diagnosis. Watch my progress for hope and validation.

Sage
Go to Top of Page

cheryld10

13 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2008 :  18:58:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sage, I love reading about your progress. Thank you for sharing all of this with us.

I'm so new to this too. Just realized I have TMS a couple of weeks ago. When my pain starts up in my back I remind myself that I've been known to have crazy symptoms and weird conditions in the past. When I think about all of the rashes, shortness of breath, stomach problems, allergies, aches and pains, and fears that I've lived through for years I'm able to tell myself that this is just one more distraction that my brain is using. It's the most severe pain distraction That I've experienced yet, but I'm realizing that it's because I've been bottling up a lot of emotion during my latest life curcumstances..so it all makes sense. When I tell myself this, my pain subsides. That makes it even more clear to me that it's TMS and not physical.

Thanks again for sharing all of your experiences. You're helping me, personally, as I learn more, too.

Cheryl
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000