TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 Pain while sleeping
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

westcoastram

97 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2008 :  13:11:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello all,

Some of you may know me. I've had two TMS episodes in my life and am now in the midst of a third. What seems to be so ornery about this one is that I'm having pain while I sleep which never seemed to happen with the other episodes before.

My pain is fairly low, I'd say a 2 or 3 during the day, when it's there but when I go to sleep, this pain is enough to keep me up and now I fear sleeping which seems to make the pain worse at night sometimes. Does anyone have good strategies for fighting pain at night?

Either I will have pain while going to bed and it will take me forever or I will wake up at 3am with pain.

any help would be appreciated,

West

HilaryN

United Kingdom
879 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2008 :  13:21:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
now I fear sleeping which seems to make the pain worse at night sometimes.

It sounds like you've fallen into "victim" mode (understandably - I do myself), i.e. the pain/TMS is in control. You need to regain control by telling it you're not going to stand for it. Tell it you know it's not physical, it's just a trick to distract you from your underlying emotions, etc. (I'm assuming you've been checked out by a doctor.)

Do this before you go to bed, and when you feel the pain or any time you think about it. Be very firm with it. This won't necessarily have immediate results, but just keep doing it as much as you can.

It works for me.

Hilary N
Go to Top of Page

westcoastram

97 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2008 :  17:05:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks HN,

I've def been doing that and it works somewhat. Interestingly, I just attended the memorial for someone close to me on Sat and I think things are beginning to shake free.

West
Go to Top of Page

mizlorinj

USA
490 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2008 :  08:17:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Since talking to your brain works, I would be affirming "I will sleep well tonight"
I understand the fear that creeps up though after repeated issues like waking up and having pain. Fear makes it worse of course. I hate that feeling!
I get great sleep but this past weekend I had 3 nights in a row where I kept waking up often. Did some exploring on possible bothersome topics. Worked on those then said "I have had enough of this waking up during the night". Did affirmations and slept wonderfully last 2 nights. Last night had a dream I was on a sailboat off Bermuda (recently got back from cruise to Bermuda). Affirmations do work! Now I will be back to sleeping soundly.

Best wishes,

Lori
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000