TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 I'm so Glad I found this forum!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

tpunk

USA
22 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2008 :  15:07:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi everyone,

I just so happened to stumble upon this forum last week and have been reading everybody's stories. I can totally relate to many of you as I have been to see every kind of doctor, chiroprator, massage therapist, acupuncturist, for the last two years! All of my bloodwork, and exams have been normal and my MRI was the only thing that showed anything (herniated discs) I even went to one of the best orthopedic surgeons at the Univ. of Miami. And nothing! I was beginning to think I was some kind of "medical mystery" as none of these doctors have been able to figure me out. I read Sarno's book Mind Over Back Painabout 6 months ago and thought "wow this is crazy stuff" and "I can so relate to what he is saying, but is this really true?"

Anyway my story...
About 4 years ago we relocated to a different state much to my children's opposition. Two months after moving here, we were hit with 3 hurricanes. This on top of my children not wanting to be here was extremely stressful to me. About 2 years ago is when my physical symptoms started to appear. Such as upper back pain, neck pain, vertigo, feeling of being inbalanced, and occasional tittinitis. Just to name a few!

Last week I started reading the forum and I am feeling much better in such a short amount of time. As you can imagine, this is quite exciting to me! For this reason alone I am very sure my physical symptoms are from TMS. So in this past week I have been trying to stay "mindful" with my thoughts. This is another stressful time for me as one of my daughters moved away for school last week, another daughter will be leaving in two days, and my son will be moving in about two weeks (we had all of the kids close in age and never really gave much thought to them moving away all at once).

I am really glad I found the forum and plan to actively read and participate to help me (and others) get back to normal!

Thanks for listening!

HilaryN

United Kingdom
879 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2008 :  15:17:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Welcome to the forum! I'm sure you'll find useful stuff here.

Hilary N
Go to Top of Page

simplyfree

20 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2008 :  16:52:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As a fellow Floridian who survived the two hurricanes on the east coast I can appreciate what you're going through. I was able to deal with those events pretty well - I evacuated! But seriously, I've lived in FL over 30 years and these hurricanes were a first. I know people who are still dealing with the aftermath mentally and emotionally.

My TMS became more prominent with more personal stress about two years ago. After reading your post I realized that my youngest also left home, kind of unexpectedly, shortly before my latest symptoms started and it was another traumatic event for me. I know I shouldn't have taken it so hard and I tried to rationalize it to myself but I couldn't. The circumstances were unexpected and I was very worried for her.

It was an emotional time for me and took quite a while to deal with. Very shortly thereafter though other stressful events added more fuel to the fire. I've experienced the same symptoms as you've been having.

Like I've been told, keep reading, keep believing, and keep moving forward!

You're doing great.

Go to Top of Page

LuvtoSew

USA
327 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2008 :  17:39:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Welcome! I'm sure you'll find a wealth of information here as I know
I have. I am still working the process but am very optimist.
Go to Top of Page

tpunk

USA
22 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2008 :  21:49:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the warm welcome. My question to you all is how long have you been dealing with your TMS symptoms? I have to confess up until about a week ago I was consumed by my symptoms and now I am consumed with my research in TMS. I guess that's a good thing, right? As I mentioned in my previous post I have read Mind Over Back Pain Would you all recommend I also read The Divided Mind?
Go to Top of Page

simplyfree

20 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2008 :  22:09:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm just about three weeks ahead of you and still researching TMS and related info. I still have pain, which is greatly reduced, and am trying to focus on the mind rather than body.

It's definitely a journey and I have a long way to go but, hopefully it's one with a happy ending.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear - not absence of fear. - Mark Twain
Go to Top of Page

LuvtoSew

USA
327 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2008 :  06:07:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
tpuck- The divided Mind was good also, but what I think helped me believe in TMS was reading books by other authors too who also believed in the mind body thing.

To Be or Not To Be Pain Free- Marc Sopher
Pain Free For Life- Dr. Brady

If you worry- The Worry Cure was a real good book for me.

Right now I'm reading "The Power of Your Subconscious Mind" by Dr. Joseph Murphy which I really like and will probably buy my own copy.

I have got most of these books from the library, and before I read a book I usually read the reviews on Amazon.

other people on the board have also suggested other books.
Go to Top of Page

hottm8oh

USA
141 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2008 :  08:04:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just finished Divided Mind, and I found it helpful, especially the treatment section by Dr. Sarno and the last chapter by Dr. Sopher. I have reread those sections a few times. I feel that they are more detailed than Healing Back Pain.
Go to Top of Page

tpunk

USA
22 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2008 :  08:37:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the book advice. I am ordering them from Amazon right now!
Go to Top of Page

ralphyde

USA
307 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2008 :  10:38:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A good confidence builder for the TMS diagnosis is to watch the 20/20 segment from 1999 with John Stossel, who said that Dr. Sarno cured him of 20 years of chronic back pain with one lecture.

One of the the patients cured in the segment had seven herniated discs. Another couldn't walk, but was running three months later, after mainstream doctors had given up on her.

It's a 14 minute segment and you can watch it at:
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-6660313127569317147

Ralph
Go to Top of Page

tpunk

USA
22 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2008 :  13:39:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Ralph...I passed the link onto a few other people who I think will find it useful.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000