TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 One small step...
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

golden_girl

United Kingdom
128 Posts

Posted - 07/25/2008 :  10:08:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just wanted to share my (very small) success.

As a borderline agoraphobic with anxiety-related urinary urgency, I find walking even small distances often a massive trial (lots of what ifs before I even get out the door, a panic attack during which makes my (already sore) bladder spasm wildly and overwhelming fear of having an 'accident'.)
I'd always wondered how I could 'recondition' myself in the midst of such a physical manifestation of anxiety (ie, having to find a toilet NOW) - I guess I couldn't see the equivalent of pushing through the pain whilst running, when the end result for me would be my biggest fear (a socially unacceptable act of incontinence, at 26).

So earlier, I walked 3mins to the end of the road, and then the 3mins back - anxiety took hold and I felt I would have an 'accident' and I felt overwhelmed and quickly walked home.

Back home, I felt disheartened and overwhelmed. After an hour I decided then to try it again, emptying my bladder as usual before I went, and the bladder started acting up as soon as I started. I then thought 'Go on, do your worst! Lose control if you want! I don't care!!!' And would you believe it, the severe spasms stopped and went back to their normal, spasming self.
I kept repeating this to myself 'Do your worst! I'll deal with it!' and actually walked quite calmly back past my house and in a different direction for another 3mins.

In one piece! I think I've found a small thing here! I obviously need to work on resolving the bladder issues from even being a symptom, but losing the immense fear, even for those few minutes, made a noticeable difference

"F.E.A.R.
Forgive Everyone And Remember
For Everything A Reason"
Ian Brown

hkp

47 Posts

Posted - 07/25/2008 :  12:09:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
GG:

That is great news! Lots of little steps add up to big changes. Keep doing what you're doing.

I'm dealing with some similar bladder issues, if not so severe, and if you haven't already, check out Dr. Howard Schubiner's on-line lecture at yourpainisreal.com

You might find it edifying as re: your bladder. I keep talking about this lecture because I'm so in love with it!

Good luck and keep going-
hkp
Go to Top of Page

HilaryN

United Kingdom
879 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2008 :  14:23:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Excellent - well done, golden_girl!

Hilary N

Edited by - HilaryN on 07/27/2008 15:24:54
Go to Top of Page

mizlorinj

USA
490 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2008 :  08:12:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good to hear, Golden.

I know when I'm feeling anxious (e.g. knowing I won't be near a bathroom for awhile) I sometimes get pressure of having to go--even if I've just gone. It's annoying! But I'm working on healing my past and relaxing with the present, and it's gotten better.

-Lori
Go to Top of Page

RageSootheRatio

Canada
430 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2008 :  08:48:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
YAY GOLDEN GIRL !!!!! I do believe you are on your way !!!!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000