TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 Is Depression really a chemical imbalance?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Paul

134 Posts

Posted - 07/25/2008 :  15:07:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm starting to realize through a bit of research, this whole "chemical imbalance" theory on depression is a lie. There really is not concrete proof that proves it. I was reading an article about this online, and here was a good quote...

"The chemical imbalance theory, which was formulated in the 1960s, was based on the observation that mood could be artificially altered with drugs, rather than direct observation of any chemical imbalances," Leo said. "Since then there has been no direct evidence to confirm the theory and a significant number of findings cast doubt on the theory."

Thoughts?

Dave

USA
1864 Posts

Posted - 07/25/2008 :  15:23:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I believe it is a chemical imbalance.

However, modern medicine jumps to the conclusion that this chemical imbalance is pathological and is the cause of depression. TMS theory says that the chemical imbalance is the symptom whose cause is psychogenic. It is the chicken and egg scenario.
Go to Top of Page

westcoastram

97 Posts

Posted - 07/25/2008 :  16:56:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Paul,

You are correct. However, we're not sure exactly what it is in the brain - miss-firing of neurons, or other chemical issues - that correlate with depression, but most agree that there is a physical change in the brain which leads to where Dave makes his point: that the physical change could just as easily be caused by the emotions as the reverse being true.

Cheers,

WCR
Go to Top of Page

Paul

134 Posts

Posted - 07/25/2008 :  17:58:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So the way to reverse it is to work on one's thinking, lifestyle, etc. to "reshape" the brain?
Go to Top of Page

armchairlinguist

USA
1397 Posts

Posted - 07/25/2008 :  18:25:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's not super-important whether it's a chemical imbalance or not if you have it as a TMS equivalent. As you said, the literature isn't conclusive. Lately there's been some evidence that the SSRIs don't work very well, or don't work the way they are expected to.

Some types of depression, like manic-depression, are a whole different deal, but a lot of cases of unipolar depression result from the same core issues as TMS, i.e. they are equivalents. This was the case for me.

If you are having significant trouble with depression, I would recommend going the therapy route to help with recovery, because stagnating negative emotions can be a very hard mode/habit to get out of. But alternately, treating depression as a pain-equivalent symptom (a sign to think psychological, accept emotions, etc.) can work.

--
What were you expecting?
Go to Top of Page

Littlebird

USA
391 Posts

Posted - 07/25/2008 :  21:48:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Paul,

Here's a link to another article on the old chemical imbalance theory that you might find of interest:

http://psychcentral.com/blog/archives/2008/07/06/another-brain-fad-for-depression/
Go to Top of Page

dewiniaeth

13 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2008 :  16:53:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Depression corresponds with a "chemical imbalance" (or at least a different balance of chemicals than baseline.) Joy is also in a sense a chemical imbalance (though it doesn't usually last nearly as long!) Whether chemical imbalance *causes* depression is a completely different question. I tend to disagree with that. Environmental factors and all sorts of other things lead to depression which is associated with an imbalance. As another poster said, it's really chicken or egg.
Go to Top of Page

kenny V

USA
268 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2008 :  13:10:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes today everything is over diagnosed and drugs are often used as fixes when the real problem is something else. There are many forms of depression example… (One) could be inward Anger that needs to be resolved within. The person must deal with the real issues in their life and then get released from the cycle………... Easier said then done (just like TMS work)

However there are real disorders that suffer from “real” depressive episodes and can be life threatening to the person and of course and people around them. And when this happens the brain chemistry is not right.
Also there are many that live in this state all the time. But you may only see it when it peaks too far in one direction. Ya see its .Their cycle can either in a high or low but never regulated what we would call the norm

Here is one example of chemical imbalances.
I don’t have time to discuss Bipolar (manic depressive disorder) but if you look into that you will learn these are real life chemical imbalances. You are talking bout people who can do or accomplish things not thought of by a normal person or lest say being able to live in a high state well above the norm. Of course there is the depressive side and that gets dangerous too. Most people with this disorder do not live normal lives however depending on how well they handle their cycles and what they do about getting better depends on the quality of life they live. Some are geniuses and live some crazy lives but most are not that fortunate and are disposed by a society that yet understands this complex disorder

Last thought you won’t believe what the brain is capable of. All I have to say is as you’ll learn aTMS you will discover in fact that the brain indeed “is a chemical factory”. Tap into it and you can have some fun…. Just for some people it gets way out of whack and then you can have dangerous situations

Just some food for thought
Kenny V

Always Hope For Recovery

Edited by - kenny V on 07/31/2008 13:10:44
Go to Top of Page

mizlorinj

USA
490 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2008 :  11:26:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My question is: WHY are the chemicals unbalanced?
There are plenty of mind/body doctor/authors who agree depression is a chemical imbalance caused by emotions. Also they believe you CAN do something about it without drugs. The info is there. And some of it was published in the 80s or 90s.
Though drugs are available to help balance chemicals, wouldn't it be better to get to the emotional root and eliminate it?

-L
Go to Top of Page

winnieboo

USA
269 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2008 :  13:16:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

I recently read something that challenges the chemical imbalance theory, too: A study came out recently that debunked the theory that peri-menopausal women experience depression b/c of an hormonal imbalance.

The study attributed the group's depression not with the hormones, but with the emotions that come up during that time of (mid) life. Women are sending kids to college (loss and change of role), re-adjusting to a marriage w/out kids in the house, re-examining career choices, dealing with aging, facing the financial realities of a nearing retirement. Makes sense!

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000