TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 Neck and "Crunch" safety
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

winnieboo

USA
269 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2008 :  08:50:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi all,
I'm back at the gym and feeling comfortable doing everything EXCEPT ab crunches. My original pre-Sarno diagnosis was two cervical bulging discs. I see that I still have fear regarding sit-ups and crunches. I used to do Pilates but I'm I little shy about going back to that, too. I was heavily into Pilates when I started with the neck pain...Any words of wisdom out there?

HilaryN

United Kingdom
879 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2008 :  10:10:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Build up to them slowly. Don't do a load of them the first time.

Try and do just one the first time, then do one every day until you're confident that one isn't harming you. Then add another one. Build up the number very slowly.

If you're afraid of doing even one, which you may well be, see if there is a way you can slowly build up to doing one.

e.g. get someone to help you do a sit-up - or see if there is a way you can start with a partial sit-up. Maybe you could lean your back against a slope, almost vertical to start with, and do a mini sit-up from there. On subsequent sessions, make that slope a bit more horizontal, gradually increasing it until it is horizontal.

By building up gradually, it's easier to get over the fear.

I haven't a clue what a crunch is, so I can't help you with that one!

Hilary N
Go to Top of Page

HilaryN

United Kingdom
879 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2008 :  16:29:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The other thing is to have a contingency plan just in case you do get pain after your workout.

Your thought pattern is likely to be: "Oh no, I overdid it! It must be because I held my little finger at the wrong angle while I was doing that sit-up! ()"

You change this to "I know this pain isn't structural, it's just an attempt to distract me from the underlying emotions" or whatever you prefer.

Hilary N
Go to Top of Page

winnieboo

USA
269 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2008 :  07:25:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Hilary. That's really helpful advice. I'm doing my best to push through the fear and residual aches and pains.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000