TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 accupuncture
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

mgfilm

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2008 :  09:01:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have struggled with TMS issues for years. 15 years ago my brother was helped by Dr. Sarno. I read his book at the time and didn't have another back problem for 10 years. Then I had terrible sciatica- severe- couldn't move- mri showed bad disc etc... finally i went to sarno- and fairly quickly got much better- still my leg was somewhat numb as the nerve had gone into shock. three years and one more child later i had sever sciatica again- i was determined to beat it- but suffered with basically a locked up spasming hip for the last year. incremental improvements but it was a constant and overriding issue- i functioned normally- upheld my responsibilities etc- but was always in pain- last week a friend was visiting from spain and he wanted to go to accupuncture so i joined him. i had started swimming a couple of days earlier because i was determined to move forward-

We went to a little store front chinese place in the East Village where the doctor said i would need to come 6 times. After the first session my hip felt a little better but i still had pain in walking. That night my lower back siezed up but i knew i would be ok- i went the next day and the change was much more pronounced. my hip really came unlocked- the next day i was much better- the following day i went for a third treatment and the results were miraculous. not only was my hip fully unlocked- my skin was softer.

today i went swimming and for the first time in as long as i can remember i felt 'normal". it was incredible.

Sarno might not think that acupuncture is the answer- but my sense is that energy flow is similar to blood flow. I don't think it's a silver bullet- but it's shown me that i can get better- and my body can heal- i don't doubt that i will have other pains - or even that the sciatica will come back- but the acunupture helped me so much to get a little breathing room from the pain. i just wanted to share this with others because i had avoided it.

actually i went once on my last episode- and i had a similar experience after my visit- i felt better in some ways but the pain was also severe- i realize now that i really needed to go more than once to get the accunpuncture to really help balance the energy.

mizlorinj

USA
490 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2008 :  11:02:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Glad you're getting some relief. Yes, it created blood flow. Question is: why was the blood flow being reduced in the first place. So the emotional issue will still need to be addressed.
Go to Top of Page

stanfr

USA
268 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2008 :  15:34:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Congrats for beating the pain. Im all for using placebo if it helps. I only take issue with assumptions made about "balancing energy" etc that have zero basis in science. There was recently a large study that demonstrated that "fake" acupuncture (using improper points or methods, for example) works just as well as "real" accupuncture. The idea of meridians is pseudo-science, IMO. Its using chic terminology to explain the unexplainable. I think the explanation is extremely simple: your TMS history is a great demonstration of the mind-body connection. You got better because you believed you'd get better (even if this belief may have been subconcious!). No need to envoke nebulous ideas about energy paths.
Go to Top of Page

mgfilm

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2008 :  19:59:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
actually there was a need to invoke energy paths- that's why i believed it would work and it did. Now if you'll take a peek at your response you can see little steams of rage peeking out from all the corners, hopefully by looking a those little puffs you might get some insight into your own rage.

If you'll look at the note again- i pointed out very clearly that I don't think that acunpuncture is the solution to the underlying problems- but instead a wonderful respite from the pain that only helps to bolster the idea that i can get past this problem- that the pain can go away. I wanted to share that experience with others on the forum so that if they felt like trying it they might not be shamed into only toughing it out by those sarnite purists who would deny them that bit of respite.
Go to Top of Page

winnieboo

USA
269 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2008 :  06:00:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
take a peek at your response you can see little steams of rage peeking out from all the corners, hopefully by looking a those little puffs you might get some insight into your own rage.

Don't see it. Sorry.

If acupuncture worked for you, great!

But, since you say you don't think that it's the solution to the underlying problem, then I'm surprised the kind responses you received weren't sheerly heartening. That's a sharp comment you make about the "sarnite purists." I understand though, I've been there: when we're in pain and nothing is working, wondering if you have to be a purist isn't uncommon.

We all need a 100% commitment to TMS to recover from TMS, and that means a focus on the psychological, not the physical. That's where the purists are coming from. They're getting better and better. Or, they've completely recovered.

My TMS therapist patiently waited for me to go through (many) acupuncture treatments myself. She told me they were okay if they "relaxed me," and told me the same thing about my massages. I perceived that on some level, she was saying that the treatments were placebo and at the time, it pissed me off. I don't do any of that now; I'm much better than I was then, but the psychological piece of the journey has been long and arduous. However, that journey's physical and psychological payoffs are worth it. Good luck.

Edited by - winnieboo on 10/29/2008 06:55:28
Go to Top of Page

skizzik

USA
783 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2008 :  13:58:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mgfilm

Now if you'll take a peek at your response you can see little steams of rage peeking out from all the corners, hopefully by looking a those little puffs you might get some insight into your own rage.

I agree w/ winnie here, what are you talking about????

I thought it was an insightful post.

Anyways, I think theres a soothe/rage issue going on. You laid on a table and let someone soothe you w/ calming eastern medicine. Indirectly this could ease tms symptoms I suppose.
Go to Top of Page

HilaryN

United Kingdom
879 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2008 :  04:09:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
take a peek

I agree with mgfilm here. It shows in the phrase " No need to envoke nebulous ideas about energy paths." which appears to be putting down mgfilm's opinion about energy paths.

quote:
(winnieboo)That's where the purists are coming from. They're getting better and better. Or, they've completely recovered.

I have to disagree with that - there are some "purists" who haven't recovered, and some non-purists who have.

Each person finds their own path.

Hilary N

Edited by - HilaryN on 10/30/2008 04:10:53
Go to Top of Page

mizlorinj

USA
490 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2008 :  07:36:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Yeah, I have to say I don't see why mg's comeback was basically [oh yeah? well] "YOU have rage".

Perhaps a peek at the book The Power of Nice would help.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000