TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 Ongoing Fibromyalgia
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Erata

63 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2008 :  08:52:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I wish I’d found this site earlier, but better late than never. I think it's a great site because people are so supportive as well as challenging.

I’ve was diagnosed with a herniated disc 23 years ago, PTSD, 18 years ago, Fibromyalgia about 14 years ago and, finally, TMS by a TMS physician in 2001.

I’m living with a lot of unresolved stress and continue to suffer physically with Fibromyalgia symptoms and realize that I have always been in a hyper aroused state of fight or flight from the time I was a child and just know no other way to be. I have a classic history of Sarno symptoms throughout childhood and adulthood and fit the psychological profile. In the late 1970’s a psychologist observed that I respond physically to stress.

I live in a rural area and have limited financial means. I’ve been in therapy, but, though I explained the syndrome to my therapist, and directed her to Sarno’s books, I don’t think she quite ‘got it’, since she continued to recommend alternative therapies, rather than addressing the cause. Most of my repressed rage is tied to horrific abuse and crimes, and I understand this, but struggle with how to recover with so many repressed memories.

My question is if there are others with TMS linked to Complex PTSD and if they have a difficult time resolving their symptoms, and if they have suggestions to offer, or books which deal with this.

Also, I feel like a ‘symptom sponge’ in that I tend to exhibit symptoms I read about, or have been suggested to me by physicians. I think this may be, and I know this may sound bizarre, but I believe my mother has a form of ’Munchausen-By-Proxy because as children, my siblings and I were encouraged to be sick, always attended by doctors, and she has continued to literally ruin the health of my younger brother and my nephew. I digress, and I don’t expect that many people can relate to this, but if anyone else is familiar with how this can impact TMS, I’d feel less alone.

I feel like a failure in that I haven’t been able to get well, even though, intellectually, I understand the process. Any suggestions and feedback is greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Scottydog

United Kingdom
330 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2008 :  14:43:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Also, I feel like a ‘symptom sponge’ in that I tend to exhibit symptoms I read about, or have been suggested to me by physicians.

I think this is a problem of the western world, not just you.

And please don't feel like a failure just because you understand where Dr Sarno is coming from but still have symptoms. You have had health problems for years - they won't be fixed overnight but from the tone of your post you are on the way. Keep journalling and don't think you must have 'someone', a doctor or therapist, to cure you. You can make great progress on your own.
Anne
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000