TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 Sarno's Meetings
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

_16volt

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2008 :  13:07:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello all,

I am new to Dr Sarno's book Healing back Pain, I have been suffering with back pain while sleeping for about 15 years. My back used to hurt after I woke up in the morning. But over the last 4 or 5 years, I can't get a good night sleep anymore I am constantly tossing and turning due to pain in my back. On position feels good for about 30 min then I have to move to another to relieve the pain.

I have been to doctors many times for my back pain and allergy's over the last 15 years. Yes I have had nasal drip for about the same amount of time. I have completely given up on doctors for either of these conditions. For my back they take Xrays and say they don't see anything and prescribe Ibuprofen or physical therapy. Neither of which has worked. Ibuprofen works to take away for about 4 hours. My pain is so bad the only way I can sleep is to take 800mg of Ibuprofen which gives me about 4 hours of sleep or take 3 Aleve with gives me about 6 or 7 hours. Non of the allergy medicines give me any relive

Finally the other I started looking in a back pain forum with a bunch of others who had similar issues. But no resolution for any of them.
Then a guy in there posted Dr Sarno's book worked for him and I remembered the 2020 story about that guy. So I got the book.

I really believe this is what my problem is. Because I have never hurt my back in my life, why would I have so much pain all the time?

My question is now that I have come to the realization that TMS is my problem. Has anyone here been to a TMS meeting? What are the daily things I should do to help me get rid of my TMS. I seen a few people talking about a journal. I just started a journal, but I am not sure what I should put in it. I have just been keeping a history of how my back feels from day to day, and if anything was bugging me that day.

Are there some other suggestions other then what is in the book? I have been really racking my brain about what repressed emotions I could have and came up with a few.

I just thought someone who has been to a meeting could give me some suggestions. I stopped taking Ibuprofen and stopped using my heating pad as soon as I read the book. I have actually had 2 decent nights sleep since, Almost no pain for 2 nights this week.

Thanks, Mark

MT

mizlorinj

USA
490 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2008 :  14:27:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have met with Dr. Sarno and been to his meetings. This is the program in a nutshell: I would suggest getting The Divided Mind, read daily pages 142-146 which are what he gives his patients.
RE: journaling, if you have some ideas of bothersome issues, write out your FEELINGS on these topics. Uncensored. Your true feelings. This has been relieving for me.
Also keep in mind the beaker: 1/3 childhood issues, 1/3 our personality (perfectionist, etc) and 1/3 everyday stressors (work, family, etc). See if you can further add to your "list" of topics about which you could journal.
I didn't keep a pain journal but some find that helpful. e.g. back hurt when I talked with my mother, but not when I carried packages.
Great to hear you had some great nights of sleep already just knowing this!!
Go to Top of Page

_16volt

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2008 :  11:56:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the information. I will definitely try those things. I will pick up his other book also. I am already feeling better after a week. Finally some hope, that a regular doctor has never been able to give me.

Thanks again

MT
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000