TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 What I figured out today -- TMS & the holidays
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Busted

73 Posts

Posted - 12/24/2008 :  23:57:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I knew people had a lot of psychological issues surrounding the holidays, but I never realized I was one of them until today. I was doing my TMS reading, and started thinking about what rage/pain has been carried over from childhood. Christmas has never been on my list of issues before, but today I figured out that it should be.

I was raised in a Jewish family, and Christmas was the most depressing day of the year for me. I never got to have a tree, or pretty lights, and Santa never came to my house. While the whole world seemed to be having a great time singing Christmas carols and spending time with their families, I was alone in my bedroom sulking, miserable and angry at my parents and the world that I had to be Jewish.

Before I learned about TMS I would have thought that was a long time ago, who cares about that now? But now I know better. Now I know that these feelings of sadness, loneliness and anger are still in my unconscious and add to my reservoir of rage.

Although I wish the pain would just go away already, I have to say that I've learned a lot about myself through dealing with TMS, and I find the psychology behind it fascinating.

Anyone else make any interesting discoveries about your TMS and the holidays?

May we all be pain free in 2009!

Edited by - Busted on 12/25/2008 00:00:32

scottjmurray

266 Posts

Posted - 12/25/2008 :  01:49:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yeah i made a discovery today. here in oregon we have the most ridiculous driving conditions ever and i tried to make it out to a store to get some gifts for my family. i turned around because the roads are so screwed i don't care even enough to even make it to target.

i realized i don't give a rats ass about christmas. the whole thing is blown out of proportion and we feel like we "need" to go out and buy stuff for people just so they don't freak out that we didn't get them anything. i didn't ask for anything for christmas, but i'll get some stuff tomorrow morning. i don't really care how well that is going to go. i'm tired of living for other people. i do not care.

i care about them. i don't have to buy presents to show it. it's not my responsibility to regulate the emotional reactions of others.

---
author of tms-recovery . com

(not sh!t, champagne)
Go to Top of Page

scd1833

USA
124 Posts

Posted - 12/25/2008 :  09:41:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm a Jew too and only Jews know the Jewish/christmas problems that most of us all have.
the U.S. is totally oriented to the christmas holiday almost all employers, business, social events, and government completely form to the christian holiday and make it very uncomfortable for anyone that does not practice these religious/cultural event it is very uncomfortable, and obviously is is not pleasant for many christians also.
we need to look at the rest of the world that does not make such a big deal out of the silly christian holiday for children and respects the diversity and "religious freedom" we supposedly enjoy here.
Go to Top of Page

Bobbypols

Canada
46 Posts

Posted - 12/25/2008 :  10:14:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, my family is catholic, but Iam not. Yes, I agree we are inundated by Christmas, and by many of whom are not even christian (such as store owners from other faiths as well/atheist/agnostic). What this goes to say is that the holiday of xmas is increasing commercial and THAT is what turns me off really. I also do sympathize in others who dont celebrate xmas having to sit through the mind numbing process. My 2 cents.

With that being said, this well be my first xmas without any of my grandparents as they passed last year and the year before. I also was out last night shoveling wet snow for 30 minutes (piled 5 feet high). Needless to say, my back is bothering me for the first time in a month, and its tough to call it TMS. Any strategies curb an attack once started?
Go to Top of Page

tcherie

72 Posts

Posted - 12/25/2008 :  13:56:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I guess if certain holidays causes increased TMS symptoms than it may all be due to perspective, and that perspective may lead to increased rage.

I am of a christian faith that does not celebrate Christmas. I never have. I never missed it because I totally understood why my family did not celebrate it. Frankly, I think it is a blessing that none of my family celebrates it. It seems like such a rat race that is focused on material pursuits. I hear of so many individual's christmas (on the news) that is messed up due to the current economic pressures. I hear people state that they cannot give their children a christmas this year due to their employment situation. If it is about Jesus, how can a person lose christmas because of a job? They have not lost Jesus, which is supposed to be the reason for the season.

But my point is not be critical, it is more so to reemphasize that the TMS personality can make this a stressful time of rage due to a person's perspective. I do notice a lot of anxiety around this time.
Go to Top of Page

Kristin

98 Posts

Posted - 12/26/2008 :  11:00:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
[i] I also was out last night shoveling wet snow for 30 minutes (piled 5 feet high). Needless to say, my back is bothering me for the first time in a month, and its tough to call it TMS. Any strategies curb an attack once started?

With a pain in my neck, sore or tired muscles, I work on not internalizing the pain and emphsize that it's only temporary. I go about with my day and give it minimal attention if any.

I also have been realizing how much I tend to act as if I'm responsible for others feelings. My strategy is to try to confront those urges head on, verbalizing them if necessary. The Holidays bring those issues out front and center. Because of bad weather and my son being under the weather, we had a nice day at home, just the four of us in our nuclear family. I am more interested now, then ever in rethinking and recreating Holiday traditions.

A Happy and Healthy New Year to all!
Go to Top of Page

MikeySama

Netherlands
55 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2008 :  06:50:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The pains have been quite brutal this holiday... The one week i'm free for the coming year (graduation year), and i'm in bloody pain all throughout.

----
Call me Mike :)
Go to Top of Page

yogaluz

USA
81 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2008 :  17:42:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, Christmas is a dreaded time for many. In my case, my mother's family was over the top with the gifts and alcohol drenched "cheer." Now I have a family of my own and I'm still stressing about the stupid gifts... will they be "special" enough to meet with my mother's approval and in so doing I'm subconsciously passing this on to my kids in the way I address their gifts. I'm not Christian and in fact believe that religion is responsible for many of our social ills and yet here I am celebrating the holiday because of patterns - pure and simple. My symptoms are off the charts. Here's to the strength to throw off those ingrained expectations and create new traditions.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000