TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 Moving symptoms + Interesting Physician Comment
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Northerner

62 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2009 :  19:21:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
After significant improvement over the previous four weeks, I've felt some new, annoying, wandering symptoms that do not of course line up with my physical diagnosis. The brain is obviously at it again - making me wonder if I had bruised a rib, slept wrong (ha ha) or something; I know longer have a problem sitting, driving or typing, so I guess it decided to make running and deep breathing hurt, making basketball somewhat painful. I played anyway, although rather poorly.

Stress - worrying about money and stuff in this economy - has made me miserable. I felt much better physically four days ago, but horrrible psychologically. As I continue to read here, this new pain just has to be endured and ignored, because the new syptoms make no sense.

At basketball tonight, I was talking to a doctor (family practitioner) there who mentioned that everyone should wait two years before getting back surgery, and that it is not often very successful. I told him that my back pain had been getting better from a psychological approach I've been using, and he asked if I was using Sarno's method. I said yes, and he said that his mother went to Dr. Sarno. This doc is a total believer in Dr. Sarno, but said that most people won't accept the diagnosis.

It's nice to hear complete belief and acceptance from an MD.

Now all I have to do is convince my brain to cut it out.

Peg

USA
284 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2009 :  05:17:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good for you Northerner. Keep at it.

Have you visited Dr. Schubiner's web site? His written explanations and blogs are very well done. They may be of help to you as far as your wandering symptoms (symptom imperative). His site is called, your pain is real.

It's encouraging to hear MD's who understand, but he makes a good point and is correct--"most people won't accept the diagnosis".

Best,
Peg

In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual. Galileo Galilei
Go to Top of Page

YogaKym

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 11/23/2009 :  18:49:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you for mentioning Dr. Schubiner's site. I read his 'understanding how mbs/tms works' section just now and found it helpful.

I stumbled upon Dr. Sarno's book in late 2006. I've had TMS for years. In the late 80's I had painful TMJ symptoms (dull ache near the ear and ongoing, never-ending head tension). A well-known superclinic wanted to operate on me, but I got a second opinion, had 6 months of neuromuscular therapy and it went away and never came back. Next, I had major RSI symptoms/neck pain in 2005-2006; fortunately, though I saw a number of professionals for this, I never took the radical step of allowing anyone to do surgery. Instead, I had neuromuscular treatment again plus true microcurrent therapy, stretching exercises, etc. and got better, little by little. Once I read Sarno's book I stopped restricting my physical activities and got A LOT better, eventually feeling 100% back to normal and doing everything I used to do.

However, recently I guess the current economy, the US political tugs of war, and the uncertainty of whether or not I will be accepted into a health science program in college--plus my workload at home--has created some stresses and angers with which I am apparenly not dealing. I've been having various pains--earlier this month it was mostly my right shoulder, then it was my neck. This morning I had only a tension headache, but tonight it's my right arm again. Ridiculous.

So I've started journaling again and re-reading Sarno's book, and now visiting this site. I expect to get it under control again, though having to take the time to do all this work when I'm already SO busy is making me angry all over again. haha.

Anyway, thanks to all who participate. I learn from you.

YogaKym
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000