TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 Stuffy nose/Sinus Issues
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

HumanAllTooHuman

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2009 :  19:39:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here is an interesting link. It's actually a blog entry from a gal on the web.

http://whatareyouthinkingpeople.com/blog/2008/06/08/chronic-stuffy-nose-maybe-you-just-need-to-cry/

I have eliminated my pain issues with Sarno's books. I have had back pain, neck pain/stiffness, rotator cuff pain, wrist, hip and a few other TMS manifestations that dissolved very quickly, with TMS insight. But I am still working on sinusitis/allergy and anxiety issues.

It's an honor to join the discussion here. I have read this site for years and I see most of the contributors here are scientists in the true sense (degreed or not).

Joe

stefan

56 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2009 :  23:56:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Awesome post. Just what I needed, thanks.

Ars Longa Vita Brevis
Go to Top of Page

HilaryN

United Kingdom
879 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2009 :  12:21:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Fascinating article. It's nice to have you on the forum, Joe.

Hilary N
Go to Top of Page

Scanh

3 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2009 :  09:06:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I did this last Friday.

I got another sinus infection on Wednesday last week, and then Friday I had my first full-blown anxiety attack. It was scary, and it was all I could do to wait until I got off work to come home and collapse on the floor in a long fit of the most intense crying I have ever had in my life. Instead of getting better, however, my nasal passages slammed shut and stayed that way for hours afterwards.

Joe, your story is mine, it sounds like. I had serious TMS issues at one time and left them all behind...but this nose thing is a different breed. I've been seeing a (non-TMS) therapist for the last year because of this issue, and I'm just getting worse. The anxiety attacks have happened every day this week. I'm getting very little sleep.

Thanks for the article though. Perhaps I need to have daily breakdowns for a while. That wouldn't be terribly difficult to do at this point...
Go to Top of Page

ecpasos

USA
21 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2009 :  15:49:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Interesting... could this be why I seem to chronically have to clear my throat all the time? I'll have to consider this very strongly!

Enrique
Go to Top of Page

HumanAllTooHuman

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2009 :  03:29:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Scahn,

I posted this because it was such a neat exampe of TMS and of course involved sinuses which has been my nemesis as well. But it did not actually unstuff my nose in my case (I will tell you what did in a second). Crying however is important for my arsenal - it definitey helps stave off depression, when I have that "feeling" coming on (heavy feeling in chest, etc.). I realize, hey, you know, I'm sad, my Mom died, etc. It pours out and the depressed feelings and symptoms recede. So OK, so poets write the Ode to Crying, it is well deserved.

Now for my sinus problems. They are not cured but they got much better recently. Here is what happened: I just got on Facebook recently (it's a social networking site if anyone does not know). Facebook is great for finding old friends and family. Now I have been a bit isolated the last few years, here in Texas with all my old friends and family in NY and FL, etc. My little five year old is here but my circle has been getting smaller and lonlier. All of the sudden I get on Facebook and lot's of old friends and family are reaching out, saying hi, saying nice things like "are you still funny like you were" etc.

More so, I found an old flame - I found out she is happily married later and was a bit dissapointed - but that isn't the point, what it did was give me that feeling of "who knows", that tingling feeling - like 'doors were opening'. Like my world got bigger, the old friends, the girls, the guys, the flirting, etc.

Now usually my sinuses become stuffed by 6 or 7 oclock each day, sometimes earlier, until I take my Afrin before bed at about 12:30 at night. This has been going on for months. The next day after discovering Facebook (I had stayed up late with the computer) I noticed it was 10:30 and my sinus were not stuffed at all. After the new "doors" opened, my sinuses opened. The connection really hit me. I think this is something Claire Weeks might say from my reading this forum although I never read her books.

Now maybe if my I head a different TMS manifestation it would have went away too - the analogy of the opening of my social spere and the opening of my nose I tend to think is probably a coincidence. I think the whole thing basically dramatically lessened my inner rage (I felt like I could even go back and fix my old screw-ups! Wow, a second chance on my past!). Since it also soothed me it apparently helped my soothe/rage ratio. Anyway the emotional affected the physical, and unconsciously, which is the amazing part of TMS. I did not go to a massuese and say "hey, relax me, maybe my nose will open up". I was really suprised when my nose was unstuffed.

It still gets stuffy late at night - mainly because of Afrin rebound, but it has been much better the last few weeks. Also, now that I know it is TMS, it has a less of a time tricking me. Like I said, I still have sinuses problems, but they went from terrible to fair overnight (most of the stuffiness is gone, some other symptoms remain). They seem to be getting better - although now I have a mild ear infection - talk about symptom imperative, right? [As I tell my five year old] Holy canolli stromboli guacamoli!

So maybe you can find a way to get unstuck - new romance, job, adventure, church group, nudist colony, who knows - something really to opening things up, give you a more hope. Give you that feeling "damn, I'm not dead yet world!"

Joe

Go to Top of Page

HumanAllTooHuman

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2009 :  03:40:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Addendum: I am going back and forth on the idea that the opening of my sinuses and the opening of my "world" so to speak was just a coincidence and just generally helped my soothe rage ratio or is a real psychogical/spiritual connection a la Claire Weeks. Can some of you give me your opinion on that, I just don't know, so I don't want to make pronouncements.
Go to Top of Page

stefan

56 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2009 :  09:06:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey I enjoyed everyone's comments here. I have a question for everyone and I probably sound naive but, how do you make yourself cry? Do you start to think of something really sad or pity yourself?

Usually when I see a sad movie and tears well up in my eyesockets I try to suppress them and not let anyone see. Maybe I'm embarrassed or afraid someone may see my vulnerable side.

Ars Longa Vita Brevis
Go to Top of Page

HumanAllTooHuman

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2009 :  23:43:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For me, a sentimental song plus a sad or sentimental memory.

If I need some more help, I watch Intervention. Have you ever seen that show? When they get to the part where the family speaks from their hearts to the addict, that will usually do it (someone's father talking about getting his daughter off drugs because he wants his "little girl" back - powerful stuff). I am sure when I cry at that show I am projecting some of myself onto the whole affair, but the show is a good catylist (sp?).

Btw, good actors usually don't need music or movies or whatnot - they use what they call 'sense memory' - basically take themselves back to a sad moment, see all the sights, hear the sounds, feel the feelings, etc. Sometimes I can do that, sometimes I need the extra stuff.

Joe

Go to Top of Page

stefan

56 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2009 :  21:27:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Joe, makes sense. I'll have to try it sometime, had plenty of sad moments in my life, shouldn't be too hard to bring them up.

Ars Longa Vita Brevis
Go to Top of Page

swaffi

Australia
2 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2012 :  21:14:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi HumanAllTooHuman, I have a suggestion, try QVAR for your sinus problems. Get hold of a babys teat and put it at the end and puff it up the nose. QVAR is primarily for asthma but I use it and I get terrible problems. Best of luck

http://www.chronicsinusitiscure.com
Go to Top of Page

Wavy Soul

USA
779 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2012 :  22:52:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ok, ok, since we're on a (brilliant) discussion of the real meaning of symptoms...

I have had the most INTENSE dry eyes in the last few months since my stepmother died. My emotions about the death were a lot of anger (she didn't leave me my dad's full legacy). I acknowledged the anger and did some release work and feel like I've let it go. And I'm challenging the Will, but dry eyes still VERY intense.

Please don't come on here and tell me to "forgive" or any kind of "advice," but if you have some good ole TMS or personal experience to share, this symptom is agonizing and absolutely has me googling the sh*t out of the dry eyes cure sites.

I think I'm going to start a thread actually.

Love is the answer, whatever the question
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000