TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 Help- How do I get our of my Lazy boy
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

LuvtoSew

USA
327 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2009 :  13:35:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
chair, seems these days that is the only place I want to be.
How does one get motivated. I just feel like giving up.

PS: why is it so imp. to get a tms dx. If you are someone like me it doesn't mater if they mention surgery anyway, as I'll never have neck or back sx. unless I was in a terrible accident and fractured my spine. All my labs are normal. of course bulges on my neck and low back, arthritis, all the normal things of being 55.

I need to start moving , just can't seem to so how did you start , with mild stretching?

marsha

252 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2009 :  16:01:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It is very easy to get into a rut, giving into pain by staying still.
I think that by staying in your chair you are sending that message to your brain that you believe the pain is structural. I know how depressing the pain can be. My relapse is going on three years. But, I am having some better days. Sometimes the only time I have any pain is when I realize that I didn’t have any. .Hope that makes sense.
Start slowly. When you feel like sitting down try to find something to do that you like. Keep yourself busy.
I go to the gym about four days a week. My back and legs don’t hurt me when I work out.
It seems that the secret for success is to retrain you brain. Practice feeling well.

For some people reading the books and being on this forum isn't enough to convince yourself that you have TMS. By visiting a TMS physician I think you are able to accept more readily the diagnosis of TMS. This also can jump start your recovery.
We will succeed together.
Marsha

Edited by - marsha on 03/19/2009 16:04:45
Go to Top of Page

positivevibes

204 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2009 :  23:29:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You can start slowly, with some gentle stretches every day.

Go the a nearby park with an iPod or music device and do some walking. For now, just set a goal to be more active and get your body moving again. Enjoy being outside and being part of life. Enjoy the trees, the kids playing....get out of your head.

Remember that exercise is a natural anti-depressant (endorphins released after about 20 minutes).

Try not to dwell on how you feel physically. I know it's really hard. But if you get absorbed in some other activity, it will help you feel more normal. Tell yourself that you are just not going to think of those negative outcomes anymore.

Also, of course, there is the whole psychological aspect. What is going on in your life that is sapping your desire to do things? Make a list of all the things that are bothering you, and start to "tackle" them one by one.

Please try it and come back and report if it helped! :-)
Go to Top of Page

scd1833

USA
124 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2009 :  13:21:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I find a daily long walk is great for relieving stress, and it requires very little effort, and is also a great way to get over the fear of injury and it also is good for relieving depression.
I personally wouldn't advise doing any stretches until you are free of symptoms, otherwise you may aggravate the symptoms, and perpetuate the cycle of pain, and fear of activity.
before I knew about TMS theories, long walks were the only thing I could do to loosen up my back, and helped greatly in getting over an acute episode of lower back pain. give it a try.
P.S. I've never had a diagnosis, but I'm a 100% "classic" TMS case.
I would love to see sarno or another tms doc, but it's just not in the budget.

Edited by - scd1833 on 03/20/2009 13:24:59
Go to Top of Page

positivevibes

204 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2009 :  13:50:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I suggested gentle stretching because for me personally -- after a period of inactivity, I felt some tightness in my legs (for example) and did some extremely gentle little stretches to loosen up the muscles. But you're right, it might not be for everyone. If you feel that you can do some little stretches, than OK. If not, then perhaps it's better to avoid it until later.

I've read and heard from a lot of different sources that walking is one of the best things anyone can do for their body. Our bodies were designed to walk. It increases circulation and gets the muscles warmed up.

I've found that no matter how bad my pain has been (even the sciatic component) walking always seems to help me feel better, and never seems to make anything worse.
Go to Top of Page

Capn Spanky

112 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2009 :  15:28:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Once you get going with physical activity, the easier motivating yourself becomes. The hardest part is starting. Walking is great.

In fact, if you really get compulsive and obsessive about it, it can become somewhat addictive.
Go to Top of Page

Bobbypols

Canada
46 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2009 :  21:42:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Starting is the hardest part. Start with a walk to the corner store or something that needs to be done. From there build on it everyday. Walk further or faster etc. And realise that the important aspect of activity lies in the act of doing, not the outcome. Also if you miss a day so what, dont let that get you back into a funk, just get back on the horse.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000