TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 TMS psychiatrist/psychologist
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

tractorgirll

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2009 :  20:59:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi everyone,

Does anyone know of any psychiatrists or psychologists who specialize in therapy for TMS cases? In many of Sarno's books etc. there is mention of certain people needing psycho-therapy in addition to putting his methods into practice, but it seems he's suggesting seeing someone who understands and BELIEVES in TMS theory and who can work in conjunction with a TMS doc.
I live in the Great Lakes area. If you don't know of anyone specific, do you know of any directory of TMS therapists?

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR ANY HELP YOU CAN PROVIDE!

pandamonium

United Kingdom
202 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2009 :  03:04:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi TG,

I am sure someone on here will respond with a recommendation but just in case they don't check out the resources on www.tmswiki.org, you may find a therapist on there who is in your area.

There is lady from Portland, Oregon if you look in the TMS Professional Survey Responses page.
Go to Top of Page

tractorgirll

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2009 :  21:21:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Pandamonium,

I'll be sure to check out that link. I'll let you know if I discover anything good that should be shared.

Onward and upward!
Go to Top of Page

scottjmurray

266 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2009 :  21:49:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I didn't know that there was a TMS therapist in the Portland area. That's where I reside.

~*~

author of tms-recovery . com
Go to Top of Page

mk6283

USA
272 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2009 :  21:50:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
http : / / www . tarpityoga . com / directory . html

Good luck!

Best,
MK
Go to Top of Page

atg

USA
50 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2009 :  14:48:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I feel your pain, Erin. The longer you have the symptoms the harder it becomes to believe you can overcome them.

Three years after initially reading Sarno and trying various tms therapists in the LA area my pain was as bad as it had initially been. Reading Monte Hueftle's book and having several phone consultations with him was what finally set me on the road to recovery. Here is his website: http://www.runningpain.com/

Good luck,
Alan
Go to Top of Page

tractorgirll

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2009 :  20:12:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the advice, Alan. I'm really glad to hear that you found the "missing link" that you needed. I'll be sure to check it out. Question: does Monte address TMS symptoms other than chronic pain? My TMS seems to usually manifest as a litany of other "equivalents": GERD, rashes, hives, allergies (all with no physical cause and CLEARLY TMS). Just wondering if he talks about these too.

Thanks!
Erin
Go to Top of Page

forestfortrees

393 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2009 :  21:57:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I found success stories related to my particular condition (RSI) very helpful in my recovery. They are definitely still incomplete because its hard to find info on TMS and these conditions, but you may find the following helpful:A big thanks to HilaryN, who has been working on these pages recently!
Go to Top of Page

HilaryN

United Kingdom
879 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2009 :  05:40:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There's a book by Dr David Clarke, a gastroenterologist, called "They Can't Find Anything Wrong!" - similar principles to Dr Sarno, but his case studies relate more to people with gastro problems.

Here's one thread which discusses his book:

http://www.tmshelp.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4091

I really enjoyed the book - very easy to read and jargon-free.

Hilary N
Go to Top of Page

HilaryN

United Kingdom
879 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2009 :  06:03:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
In many of Sarno's books etc. there is mention of certain people needing psycho-therapy in addition to putting his methods into practice, but it seems he's suggesting seeing someone who understands and BELIEVES in TMS theory and who can work in conjunction with a TMS doc.

This might be a good question for the Q&A with TMS doctors - whether a psychotherapist needs to be TMS-trained:

http://www.tmshelp.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=5599

Hilary N
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000