TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 Caregiving and TMS
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

covco

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2009 :  19:51:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is my first post; hope I can be clear.

My husband is in a fairly early stage of Alzheimer's-type dementia. I am following the principles of TMS treatment for knee pain. (A few years ago my restless leg syndrome was cured after I read The MindBody Prescription). The other knee is waiting in the wings, I think, or it will be a hamstring, shoulder, or whatever. I think this because with caregiving there is ongoing, increasing pressure for a goodist like me to handle. Is there a way to look at this that might deflect the unconscious anger that is probably there and prevent repeat painful symptoms, or is the advice to be ever-vigilant the best wisdom for caregivers?

flutterby

United Kingdom
79 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2009 :  02:48:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi - I am really sorry to hear about your situation and can well imagine that it could give rise to various bodily manifestations of your inner turmoil.

I just wonder whether something like Michael Brown's 'The Presence Process' might help - http://tmswiki.wetpaint.com/page/The+Presence+Process ?
Go to Top of Page

covco

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2009 :  14:47:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you, flutterby. I explored the link you provided and will definitely pursue this way of dealing with potential TMS manifestations.
Go to Top of Page

marsha

252 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2009 :  18:24:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am so sorry for your husbands diagnosis.
Being a care giver can be a thankless, exhausting and frustrating task. It can bring up many unresolved issues causing both physical and mental pain.
Find someone you can talk to..not for advise just to listen and be there. If a family member or friend offers to help out let them. Take care of yourself first, it makes being a care giver a bit less stressful.
Eat well, try to get all the rest you need.
And remember that you cannot fix this. Perfectionists and goodist think that they must fix whatever problems arise.
I have been there.
I wish you the best.
Marsha

Edited by - marsha on 07/08/2009 18:26:12
Go to Top of Page

flutterby

United Kingdom
79 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2009 :  01:39:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would second that advice from Marsha.

And also just wanted to add that there is a lot more information about The Presence Process on Michael Brown's website - http://www.thepresenceportal.com/ There are free videos/audios, free downloads of some of his books, a regularly updated Q&A page and all sorts of things which would give you a feel for whether you think it would be helpful for you.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000