TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 Sarno fan thanks
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Deb-ann

Australia
3 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2009 :  17:51:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you for your help-I am joining the anxiety group today as I think
it has been an underlying problem since childhood,also bought relaxation ,meditation cd and am starting to attempt that today.You are absolutely right about the sleeping,I got Temaze in desperation 5 months
ago after little sleep with many months of pain and it has helped me
get some sleep at night.Could you tell me if your pain was burning like mine or different?Also Dr Sarnos programed Pain has me confused as mine
is there all the time but about 2 hrs after going to the toilet it gets
agonising-Im not sure what to say to myself in self talk as I dont know
what emotion I should be recognising.I have done journaling for about 4 weeks but didnt feel any benefit -Iwonder if that is helpful for
everyone or am I not connecting with what Im writing? Thank you again
to anyone who can help and to Sarno fan
regards deb-ann

SarnoFan

USA
72 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2009 :  22:58:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry about the long reply, but I truly want to answer all your questions based on my experience. Here goes:

You've done all your medical tests. You've tried treatments. You now know it's TMS. So now I can try to explain what I know about TMS, how I dealt with it and how others have dealt with it from reading about it for years:

It doesn't matter what 'type' of pain or symptoms you have. Whether it is constant, has hi/lows, comes and goes, it doesn't matter. Don't get hung up on technical terms like Sarno's "programmed pain" process.

Tight involuntary muscles "down there' make going to the toilet (a BM) painful. When you have back pain/ache you can lie down and avoid lifting. But you cannot avoid BMs so you endure constant assaults! This stings, cuts, burns, aches etc. Acute spasms take hold at odd times. Just like back spasms, migraines, panic attacks or an allergic reaction, they can happen at the oddest times even when we don't do anything.

Again, pain is different for everyone so don't get hung up with its patterns, types, frequency etc. It's all the same syndrome.

Our bodies hurt because they are overstimulated with fear and toxic thoughts over a long period of time. Stress/triggers are like adding fuel to this slow simmering fire. Often we can't see the connection.

The problem with journaling, reading, doing relaxation techniques is that we are too impatient with them. Our physical symptoms/thought patterns are so strong and persistent that we give up way too soon. We think TOO much and torture ourselves with too many details and over analyze our symptoms. That's what I have come to realize in MY experience.

Although I realize it, my personality still gets in the way. After suffering enough, I eventually have my 'aha' moment and catch myself being ridiculous with worry, while the world goes by with worse problems than the ones I seem to create/rehash in my mind.

4 weeks of journaling/reading is not enough for most people with deeply entrenched anxiety/symptoms. How about giving yourself a YEAR+ to get better? Then the pressure is off! Enjoy the healing process even when your symptoms persist. Don't measure your progress with others' success stories, but do be inspired by them! It will take as long as it takes. You will get better!

Have a routine like: hot baths, slow deep breathing, journaling, praying, being realistic about things(the most difficult of all), being kind to yourself (not feeling sorry for yourself), having fun (another difficult one for us who feel guilty all the time) really help me.

Perhaps there are no particular emotions you need to recognize. Don't struggle with this. It is about how you think about things. So by writing feelings/thoughts/events down they are not turning into pain. To be honest, I'm not the 'journaling type'. I am better at actively stopping my negative, destructive thoughts, telling myself to stop, switch gears (focus on pleasant events) and then find something productive to do (much easier said than done!).

Just be confident that there's nothing seriously wrong and you are having symptoms because of emotional reasons that you may or may not recognize. If you really get this idea, and stop worrying aboout your symptoms and healing timeframe, you will get better.

I tried the meditation CD a few times. It feels silly at first, kind of awkward, but then it becomes natural and easier to do.I'm now able to do it without the CD. I can get into a relaxed state much faster now.

Self talk is really an individual thing. It depends on what you can relate to or believe in. That's been my experience. For example, I believe in God. That is my spiritual (subconscious) side. If you are spiritual or believe in God, you would pray for God to carry your burdens and let your body heal. You don't try to solve everything on your own. You surrender. Sarno talks about the subconscious and realizing you cannot control it (rage). Your conscious has to go in and let it know you are aware of what's going on. If you get too technical with this you may miss the point. It is all about recognizing what really is going on (doesn't have to be a specific thing)and surrendering (just let things be).

Whatever route you take, it has to click with your belief system. I have read so many Sarno success stories, and I have experienced my own too.

I also know my friend's 15 year old daughter was disabled with backpain for two years and gave up soccer. She couldn't bend over or run at all. She went to a new church one day and received a prayer. She was instantly healed and went back to playing her sport at 17. She actively practices her faith now and is doing fine. Others do not 'get' this and would never heal that way. I witnessed even greater miracles with my own daughter and my sister-in-law too (long stories) with prayer and healing. I have also witnessed healing in this Forum's success stories and Sarno's accounts.

Therefore, you first have to believe, then surrender, stay the course, be patient and only then you will heal.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000