TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 horrific morning pain
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

cavbalto

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2009 :  08:05:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello. I am new to TMS and to the forum but I have been getting a lot better after reading Dr. Sarno's book(s) and a lot of web stuff. I still have leg pain and stiffness on and off during the day but it's manageable and I think it is going away slowly. I'm trying to be patient and avoid "calendar watching".

Then this morning as soon as I got out of bed I got slammed with the most intense leg pain since this whole thing started (about 6 months ago). I was in agony-- screaming, lurching around the house, shaking, covered in cold sweat, my mouth was powdery dry and I kept feeling like I was going to throw up. The worst of it only lasted about 15-20 minutes but it has left me really upset, frightened and weepy.

Is this progress?! I want to think it's a "last gasp" but I'm worried that there will be more of this to go through. What should I do?! Thank you for any responses. I really enjoy reading the posts on this site and have found them inspiring and helpful.

poodlelover

6 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2009 :  08:56:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Cavbalto,

Like you I am new to the forum and already feel encouraged.

I wanted to comment on your leg pain and stiffness. These are my two biggest issues. I have the bad fasciculations and much nerve pain. In the morning I am stiff as a board and it eases as I stretch and move. NOW my point, I have been diagnosed with fibromyalgia. the things you mention are classic symptoms. I only jump in b/c a good medical diagnosis cannot be ignore. THEN pursue TMS full force. Actually Dr Sarno advocates that FM is one of the severest forms of TMS.

Yes, I have improved . I have a long journey but the mind/body connection is huge. I can meditate and TRY to reach the unconscious rage and actually find relief and it is real.

Sure hope this helps.

We can all do this together.

Poodle
Go to Top of Page

HellNY

130 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2009 :  10:42:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cavbalto

The worst of it only lasted about 15-20 minutes but it has left me really upset, frightened and weepy....................

I want to think it's a "last gasp" but I'm worried that there will be more of this to go through.

The following are the sources of fuel for your TMS, scattered throughout your post. These are as follows:

"upset"
"frightened"
"weepy"
"worried"

Your TMS needs these as fuel. For me, the solution ended up being not really going to those emotions and then the pain really plummetted.

I believe "book cures" occur because once people realize what is going on, they are no longer upset, frightened, weepy or worried. Those that dont get teh book cure may still have negative emotions attached to their pain, so it gets fuel to continue.

Think where "placebo" and "nocebo" come from. Placebo is "Im upbeat and everything is going to be ok." Nocebo is "Im worried and things are not going to be ok."

You need to perhaps think about where you fall between those.
Go to Top of Page

cavbalto

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2009 :  13:18:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you to both who responded! HNY-- I totally agree that the worried and frightened parts must be banished (or at least worked on) but the upset and weepy were actually good, I think. Weepy was perhaps not the best word-- more like a time of serious stomach-crunching sobs. Which seemed to be coming from a pretty deep place. The first time I've really cried since the pain started. I've gradually felt better -- not a lot of pain at all and it's shaping up to be a good day. Will wait to see what tomorrow will bring....
Go to Top of Page

Dave

USA
1864 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2009 :  09:15:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cavbalto

Hello. I am new to TMS ... Then this morning as soon as I got out of bed I got slammed with the most intense leg pain since this whole thing started ... Is this progress?!

YES, that's the best way to look at it.

Your unconcscious mind is 'upping the ante' and being more desperate in its attempts to keep you focused on the physical realm. It realizes that you are 'on to its tricks' and is unwilling to give up the strategy that has worked so well for so long.

I know it is difficult but try to laugh at the pain and accept it as a signal that you are on the right track. The more aware you become of the pain, the harder you should work at ignoring it and shifting your thoughts to the psychological realm.
Go to Top of Page

cavbalto

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2009 :  16:05:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you so much Dave! I suspected this last bout of pain was "desperation move"!

I did have a lot of trouble sleeping last night though. I think I was afraid of what the morning might bring. But fear is definitely the enemy and I am trying very hard not to give in to it. Wow this is hard!!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000