TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 Christmas bringing on my TMS again
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

marytabby

USA
545 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2009 :  09:01:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have had pretty good success with my TMS since 2005 when I first started reading Sarno and when I joined this site. My primary issues used to be debilitating lower back pain as well as a garden variety of other symptoms that would pop up. I now know the patterns and when my neck is stiff, I know it's something bothering me and I just ride it out. Interestingly enough I have not had a lower back flare up for 4 years UNTIL YESTERDAY. I used to miss Christmas with my family when my back would go out, but that was prior to my TMS knowledge. So it's been 4 years, and yesterday when I awoke my lower back was so stiff as well as my left calf. I am in a rage about this because of the pain on both but I have to laugh because this is SO typical of Christmas time with me. I still don't know what it is about Christmas that brings my TMS on. Suffice to say, it is there and it's a pattern. I thought I nibbed this but I guess it's still there and this year it caught me off guard. I am angry about the pain but am hoping I can get through with a few days of bulling through it. I just wanted to share it with you since it's such a stupid pattern that came back.

patils

72 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2009 :  10:20:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There is nothing like christmas. All exist in our mind. Even Newtons law too exist in mind and not outside. In fact all is consciousness. Mind and matter are one and are interchangeable. If you dont eat you cannot think properly and when you eat bread, your mind starts working. Bread ( Matter ) is getting converted into mind.

Slowely slowely we have to loose body consciousness to come to these secrets.

Fear and anxiety are only cause of your stated problems. Get a break and calm down your nervous system and see results.

Sachin

When all medicines fail, meditation will help.
Go to Top of Page

Peg

USA
284 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2009 :  16:23:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Maryalma,
Christmas (and the start of a new school year for my kids) used to trigger my pain as well (pre-sarno). I found those times particularly stressful.

>" I still don't know what it is about Christmas that brings my TMS on."

I have a few ideas about this:
--All the responsibilities, pressures, tasks that we have on our lists.
--Sometimes we are doing all of these things without much help.
--The pressure of wanting everything to be perfect for our family.
--Worrying whether the gifts we will be giving are "perfect".
--Worrying about paying for everything.
--Having too many obligations to others.
--Worrying about spending the Holiday with family.
--Feeling sad, because you don't have the type of family you want to spend the day with.
--Feeling sad about family members we've lost.

>"I used to miss Christmas with my family when my back would go out."

Exactly

I've learned to set limits, toss the idea of perfection, ask for help and most importantly, say NO.

I'm sure I've missed a few, but I need to get back to my baking for Christmas.

Take care of yourself.

Best,
Peg

In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual. Galileo Galilei
Go to Top of Page

skizzik

USA
783 Posts

Posted - 12/24/2009 :  09:28:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My pain is thru the roof right now! In fact the last 3 days have been miserable for me.

And this is after posting here so often lately, and in such a good mood. I'm beginning to wonder if my recovery was an illusion.

The funny thing is my weight workout program concluded this monday after 9 straight weeks of lifting 3x a week. This included dumbell rows where I worked up to 100# dumbells and bend over a bench supporting my self with one arm, and knee, and yanking up the d-bell with the other arm for reps. I don't recall pain, heck, I was feeling good. This involves getting the d-bell to the bench in the first place, and I always make sure to use improper form like a good recovering tms'r. I added 20# to my bench too.

Anyways, the program includes a reload period with lighter weights for a couple weeks b4 going hard again, and I figured taking a week off during holidays a good idea. Well, my last hard workout was friday, I was fine during the weekend, and monday I concluded after a crummy light workout after work I was done, and I couldn't get off the couch last night. Ya think I was burnin off stress in the gym? Ya think?! Ya think?! It's as if it was my rock foundation. And now it's gone.

Well, hoping to look back on this next week and get a kick out of the cleverness of TMS. At the same time, this sucks, and I hope I can have some relief tonight at my house party.

Oh, Merry Christmas to everyone. Or festivas, or whatever you celebrate...okay, everyone just calm down. -Cheers
Go to Top of Page

skizzik

USA
783 Posts

Posted - 12/25/2009 :  21:48:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ok.

xmas day, well, 11:30 at night. Kids asleep after day out at family's houses. The pain I had went from an 7-8 to a 2-3 allowing me to clean the house for our x-mas eve party. I think having you guys to vent to was helpful since knowing I could come here and let it out kept me on the mental path of tms, and away from physical thoughts. (funny, no matter how long you've had symptoms, or have been a tms'r, the pain always makes you have conventional medical thoughts first and foremost)

Right now (xmas nite) I'm looking forward to playing the kids new ps3 while they and the wife are sleeping, and am relatively pain free. hmmmm....there seems to be a correlation with my pain and my family...DUH! particularily when they are awake

I woke today to moderate back pain compared to the last few days, and overwhelming dizziness. The dizzyness faded by 1pm or soon, just in time to go to inlaws. There I developed severe rear neck pain and stiffness, which then developed into a whopping migraine, which then eased up at my Fathers place with the help of some aspirin.

The moderate pain faded at some point too. So cool. Via experience I suppose, I did'nt take the symptoms to seriously. My thought pattern was to laugh internally at how much my mind and body were throwing at me. As if "just how bad is this going to get haha?"

Pretty much kept all symptoms to myself, except the dizzyness which I had to tell my wife about cause she kept asking if I was ok, and it was obvious to many about the headache, cause I kept rubbing my temples hard. Oh, and strained vision, I forgot to mention.

But right now, alls well, and sorry to turn this into my own blog, but I thought it was very relevant to what Marylama was going thru and how Peg nailed it. I guess just a typical TMS surge.

phew! bring on the massive new years eve party we're throwin

Edited by - skizzik on 12/25/2009 21:54:02
Go to Top of Page

winnieboo

USA
269 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2009 :  18:13:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
I still don't know what it is about Christmas that brings my TMS on.

It's anxiety.
This was the first Christmas I didn't have a migraine--just had other symptoms instead! Christmas spells pressure! First and foremost: I must have fun, must be happy, must spread the joy and the love and the gifts and merriment! If you're a parent, then heap on some more pressure! We make Christmas! Decorations, putting up a tree in the house, cookie baking, Christmas cards, social gatherings, family parties, church obligations, gift selection, acquisition, wrapping, clean-up, food preparation. What have I forgotten? I'm sure there's more!

Unfortunately, as adults, just one of those tasks is a tall order, not to mention that we are all feeling financial pressure, especially this year. Any Christmas is rife with demands on our time and our emotions. What would happen if we exploded and expressed our exasperation? We focus on our physical symptoms instead. We are full of conflict and anxiety which manifests as physical symptoms, whether they be familiar or brand new.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000