TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 Who here truly believes all tendonitis/RSI=TMS?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

dtes87

19 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2010 :  12:53:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I mean, seriously? Cause my elbows didnt ever start hurting chronically until I increased my laptop use to unhealthy hours a day. And the pain always goes away when I go weeks without doing the same repetitive motion using the touchpad..and "magically" returns when I do use the touchpad for a long period of time over a few weeks.

I really wanna believe RSI=TMS but it goes against all common sense. The human body isnt indestructible. Why do your muscles get sore after working out? Cause you PHYSICALLY use them.-So why not the same issue with tendons/ligaments that get screwed up due to overuse?

johnnybill45

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2010 :  13:30:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't believe anything having to do with the body and mind is always absolutely true. Why couldn't a tendon actually become so overworked and stressed that it could get severely inflamed?

Go to Top of Page

Dave

USA
1864 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2010 :  15:27:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You still do not understand or accept the concept of conditioning as it applies to TMS. I urge you to re-read this section of Dr. Sarno's book.
Go to Top of Page

DrGUID

United Kingdom
44 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2010 :  04:01:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think carpal tunnel syndrome does exist, but it's very rare, and most people who think they have it do not. It mainly affects women, and it tends to make limbs ache during the night. RSI DOES NOT USUALLY HURT AT NIGHT.

I don't think you can overuse your limbs - the more computer work/console games playing I do, the better I feel.
Go to Top of Page

Dave

USA
1864 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2010 :  08:39:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dtes87
Why do your muscles get sore after working out? Cause you PHYSICALLY use them.-So why not the same issue with tendons/ligaments that get screwed up due to overuse?

OF COURSE, not every physical ailment is due to a mindbody connection. If you sit at a computer for 12 hours straight with no breaks, your fingers, wrists, etc. might hurt. This is common sense.

However, let's take your example. Why are the muscles sore? Because they are overworked and the muscle fibers have been damaged. What happens next? The muscles heal completely in a few days, and not only do they heal, they are bigger and stronger than before!

Our bodies are miraculous machines, capable of taking great punishment, and making a full recovery. Our bodies adapt to the stress we put on them and get even stronger because of it.

Some aspects of 'modern medicine' would have you believe our bodies are fragile and develop chronic conditions if we push them too far.

We shouldn't run because our knees can't take the impact. Really? The human body has evolved the way it has precisely to be able to run to escape prey and cover greater distances to find food.

We shouldn't use a computer keyboard because we'll develop RSI. Really? How come all the people who typed on manual typewriters did not develop RSI?

There is a difference between temporary pain and inflammation caused by overuse, and a chronic condition. If you use a computer for many hours straight, you might develop some pain, numbness, and other symptoms. If you stop using the computer, those symptoms will fade as the body heals itself. A chronic condition known as RSI will not develop because of it. The chronic condition is psychogenic and conditioned. We expect to develop RSI from using a computer, so we do. The concept of conditioning is critical to understand if one is to recover from TMS.
Go to Top of Page

Gibbon

United Kingdom
138 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2010 :  11:17:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i agree completely with Dave. I'm sure that you can get strain from over-typing - but the long term chronic pain from RSI i think is TMS. So you're typing too much - this is symptomatic of a (possibly) stressful job. You get some strain. You cut down on that typing. Suddenly your body says "this is great! We're cutting down on that stress!" and then there's the hook at an unconscious level for your body to perpetuate that pain. Add in a whole dose of conditioning and that's RSI IMO....

Check out the TMS website: www.rsi-backpain.co.uk
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000