TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 Triggers
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Beckie

13 Posts

Posted - 05/30/2010 :  10:47:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am 100% sure I have TMS and can almost be pain free for most of the time until I encounter a "trigger" then it just all goes wrong I am back to being in terrible pain and dont know what to do can anyone help me with this unfortunately one of my triggers is sex there has never been anything in my past that I can think of in fact I like sex haha but not anymore and all I can do is think how I am going to hurt the next day. I have been married nearly 35 years would consider my life to be "normal". My other trigger is when I loose my footing a few weeks ago I tripped on a stone and that set all the pain off again. Any ideas would be gratfully received.

catspine

USA
239 Posts

Posted - 05/30/2010 :  14:57:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Beckie
Interesting post, as customary it make sense to see a physician of your choice first and then proceed with the TMS possibility if you wish.

Can you say where the pain is located? I'm asking because you did not mention it and in general TMS will create pain where it can capture most of your attention. If sex is not good anymore and it 's a problem or on the opposite if you still like it unconsciously but you're not aware of it there it goes, with TMS the brain seems to have a tendency to generate pain in an area that has something to do with where the focus of your thoughts goes first (e.g CTS for people who use a computer keyboard etc.) but it can be anywhere else in the body too.
You give little information but you could definitely investigate anything that creates significant tension in relation to the triggers to sort out the most likely thing to be at the origin of the process. There can also be a hidden fear attached to the triggers...I mean if you trip on a stone or if you have sex doesn't have much in common on the surface so for a start maybe you can think of what this could mean unconsciously.
Your short story makes me think of something you repressed and forgot already but your unconscious mind certainly did not and seems to be ready to remind you...it sounds like something is keeping your nervous system on high alert mode.

Go to Top of Page

Beckie

13 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2010 :  02:31:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My pain is in my back it is my back is out again pain. Its where I have always had my pain I had a spinal fusion last year L4/L5 and that does seem to have helped a lot I can sit ok now and a bumpy road no longer leaves me in agony i got over the op really quickly but am left with these trigger happenings I recently got the book unlearn your pain which I think is a fabulous book and I am working through that at the moment to see if I can unearth anything else,my husband is very suportive and of course he doesnt want to feel he has hurt me so is very protective its just a mess, but I feel there must be some way I can conquer this.
Go to Top of Page

Dave

USA
1864 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2010 :  10:15:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Beckie

My pain is in my back it is my back is out again pain. Its where I have always had my pain I had a spinal fusion last year L4/L5 and that does seem to have helped a lot...

I'm afraid this indicates you really have not accepted that TMS applies to you.

I suggest you read Dr. Sarno's book and really try to let the concepts sink in.
Go to Top of Page

catspine

USA
239 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2010 :  14:12:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We would never have the chance to make a wish if we did not have the ability to make it come true.
In your case you have a great advantage: you do not have to wonder if an operation would solve the problem you already have the answer to that so you can immerse yourself in the TMS theory w/o fear of heading in the wrong direction or wasting your time.
Dr Sarno also has a DVD called Healing Back Pain the mind body prescription.If your husband is supportive this may be a faster and easier way to share the concept, although the presentation is infomercial style the essence is there . The book is more detailed and gives a better chance to absorb the parts where you could struggle.
Go to Top of Page

Beckie

13 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2010 :  05:17:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for your advice and comments. The thing I struggle with is that if I were to go and see my osteopath as soon as he manipulates my spine I feel better immediately so I am still thinking physical/ structual but I also know that emotional things situations can really affect my pain too. I have been in bad pain for almost a week this time and it is getting worse it does move around my back and I am trying so hard to not go to the osteopath to make it better I am journalling, pain talk, and I do have the Sarno video, why is it so difficult for me to accept, when my pain is ok I can see logically that it is TMS but as soon as the pain starts I go to pieces. How do you cope when in such terrible pain to believe it is TMS I would have decribed myself as a strong person but obviously I am not.
Go to Top of Page

pandamonium

United Kingdom
202 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2010 :  10:17:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Beckie,

it is really really hard sometimes to deal with the pain when it has been triggered. If you really believe that you are suffering from TMS you have to recognise the conditioning and just ignore the pain, or laugh at it because you truly believe you are not going to damage yourself by doing the activity. And you have to stop all physical therapies; when you go back to those you are just getting a quick fix but you are not addressing the cause of the symptoms.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

A beginner's guide to psychology: If it's not your mum's fault.... it's your dad's...
Go to Top of Page

catspine

USA
239 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2010 :  00:17:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
From Beckie
quote:
Thanks for your advice and comments. The thing I struggle with is that if I were to go and see my osteopath as soon as he manipulates my spine I feel better immediately so I am still thinking physical/ structual but I also know that emotional things situations can really affect my pain too. ....... why is it so difficult for me to accept, when my pain is ok I can see logically that it is TMS but as soon as the pain starts I go to pieces. How do you cope when in such terrible pain to believe it is TMS I would have decribed myself as a strong person but obviously I am not.

Well you may be stronger than you think but not be aware of how strong yet. Different people have different threshold and it also depends where the pain is located and for how long you've been in pain for.At the beginning you may still need the placebo until the knowledge sinks in and the awareness grows.
Simply look at people with a toothache...if the tooth had to come out and they must wait they take a pain killer until it can be done.
It doesn't have to be a permanent thing but it may give you the break you need or the time you need.

You may have to deal with the pain, the problem, the concept, the treatment or even the whole thing gradually. Your awareness will also play an essential role in the process.

Ultimately if you keep going to your chiropractor you may come to the conclusion that the relief doesn't last as long as it used to anymore and you'll abandon this option and turn fully toward the TMS treatment unless of course it is the perspective and the action of going to your chiropractor or even the idea that someone will help you that actually makes you feel better and not the manipulation itself. This would be harder to break but not impossible.
What is important is to know that a treatment for TMS exist and that at some point you'll realize that the placebo has to go because its effect will shrink over time and you'll free yourself from it easily. Everyone learns at a different pace so the time it takes can varie greatly.
An other obstacle to accepting is that there has to be harmony in between your conscious, unconscious and subconscious before healing begins.
e.g If your body needs to go but your mind forbids it there is going to be confusion or conflict resulting in tension and consequences if the problem is not addressed and nothing good will happen before an agreement between them is reached first: one of them may often have a reason to slow the process down.
This is also why it takes time.

Edited by - catspine on 06/02/2010 03:48:59
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000