TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 What am I doing wrong
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Beckie

13 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2010 :  05:18:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for your advice and comments. The thing I struggle with is that if I were to go and see my osteopath as soon as he manipulates my spine I feel better immediately so I am still thinking physical/ structual but I also know that emotional things situations can really affect my pain too. I have been in bad pain for almost a week this time and it is getting worse it does move around my back and I am trying so hard to not go to the osteopath to make it better I am journalling, pain talk, and I do have the Sarno video, why is it so difficult for me to accept, when my pain is ok I can see logically that it is TMS but as soon as the pain starts I go to pieces. How do you cope when in such terrible pain to believe it is TMS I would have decribed myself as a strong person but obviously I am not.

Capn Spanky

112 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2010 :  07:02:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Becky,

I go through the same kind of feelings when I'm experiencing pain or illness. This is exactly what TMS does. It makes me worry and obsess over what is wrong with me and what I should do about it and distracts me from other deep seated emotions.

Sometimes taking to my brain, like Dr. Sarno suggests in his books, has been helpful. You know the old "I know what you're doing and I'm not going to put up with this nonsense".

Truly believing that your pain is psychologically based and not physically based takes time and some reconditioning. At least it did in my case. To some degree, it’s still a work in progress. But I can honestly say that my sciatica pain is 100% gone and my tennis elbow is 98% gone. So this stuff really works.
Go to Top of Page

pandamonium

United Kingdom
202 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2010 :  10:19:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Beckie you are still thinking physically. As Capn Spanky says it takes time to adjust. I would read and re-read the TMS books until you are fully on board with TMS.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

A beginner's guide to psychology: If it's not your mum's fault.... it's your dad's...
Go to Top of Page

Dave

USA
1864 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2010 :  10:29:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Beckie

Thanks for your advice and comments. The thing I struggle with is that if I were to go and see my osteopath as soon as he manipulates my spine I feel better immediately so I am still thinking physical/ structual but I also know that emotional things situations can really affect my pain too.

I'm afraid you can't have it both ways. You need to commit to the psychological explanation for the pain. If you go for physical treatments, you undermine the approach to TMS recovery.

The first thing you are doing wrong, is asking the question: "What am I doing wrong?" You need to have a different attitude and stop being so hard on yourself.

What you are going through is typical. It is very hard to let go of the physical explanation and treatments. I used to run to the chiropractor every time I had back pain, and the placebo effect made me feel better for a very brief time. Eventually I reached a point where I accepted that chiropractic was not appropriate.

It takes time and dedication to break the cycle. Until you are ready to make a 100% commitment, recovery will be difficult.
Go to Top of Page

LuvtoSew

USA
327 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2010 :  15:33:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Beckie,
I know what you mean, I go to the osteopath too, cranial facial neck problems, it seems to be making me worst, all bodyworkers seem to make me worst it seems. I have got to accept tms also and quit, it gets old.
Go to Top of Page

patils

72 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2010 :  00:11:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Backie,

I have gone through all what you are describing.
It is difficult to accept without proper conviction. Conviction will never come if reason of symptom is unknown like repressed rage, anger etc etc.

So my honest request after recovering from 3 years continous upper back pain is treat your anxiety first. Contentness, happey , joyefulness will cure you. Anxiety can be accepted very easily because causes can be traced. I will suggest to read Paul daud's book " At last a life". This is really well read book.

Start gathering information about anxiety and observe yourself what is happening in your mind and its impact on physical body then your brain can be easily convencied and you will accept symptoms as harmless and cure will start.

This all will take time and will not be overnight development. Do not expect cure today. Patience is most needed thing.

My best wishes to you for your recovery.

Sachin.

Doubt is poision for TMS healing.

Edited by - patils on 06/02/2010 00:15:42
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000