TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 Thank God I Found this site!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

SarnoSoldier

16 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2005 :  10:29:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am so glad I found this site. I read Sarno a year ago and continue to watch and listen to his cds and video. I am struggling with acceptance of this diagnosis, but I am willing to work at it. I don't have much pain all the time, but struggle with a bad spasm a couple timss a year. Usually this occurs with the change of season or a New Year. I have not been successful in really figuring out the programmed pattern. My pain comes and goes throughout the day, but usually is the worst by the end of the day. When I sleep, I seem to get rid of the pain and as I do things during the day, it builds. There are some times during the day where it vanishes. I am looking for help from this board in giving advice on what is most important in getting better. There seem to be some intense emails on this site filled with lots of bashing. What is that about?

Baseball65

USA
734 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2005 :  10:47:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Welcome Brother.

We are like a family,and like any family,you just happened to walk in during a rare but real outburst.Most of us have completely or almost completely recovered and spend time getting even BETTER than we were before.I myself have recovered 110% from the pain part of TMS,but have found even other areas of my Mind/body that still benefit from the continuing dialogue with others of the same disposition.
What was your original "structural" diagnosis? How old are you? Family? Married? Kids? Live-in parents?

My pattern was like yours....it went away when I slept,only to build slowly and surely through out the day.Since I have recovered from the pain,I went through a series of short relapses that revolved around dates,holidays,situations,and with continued work,I banished those as well.
The fact that you are beginning to recognize them is a sign that you are becoming more aware and that they are on their way out.

tell us more

peace

Baseball65
Go to Top of Page

SarnoSoldier

16 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2005 :  11:13:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What was your original "structural" diagnosis? How old are you? Family? Married? Kids? Live-in parents?

I am married, 30 years old, I don't have kids. I was diagnosed with an extremely bad bulging disk with leaked fluid that causes irritation. This is what my orthopedic surgeon told me. Dr. Sarno thinks differently. I am trying to get the confidence to stop obsessing over my pain. Very difficult. Any other disk sufferers out there who have gotten better through MBP or HBP?
Go to Top of Page

Baseball65

USA
734 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2005 :  11:21:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Sarnosoldier

Right before I left the conventional mediacl world as regarding my back,they said my disc was "leaking" and popping in and out of place during the day....they were going to do a second surgery to "microwave" my disc to make it 'dics-jerky'...LOL!!

I have completely recovered from intense low back pain,and sciatica in both legs and butt cheeks.

I got well exclusively reading HBP....MBP came out after I had already recovered 100%.

The reason I asked your age and family situation,is that is generally more relevant than any diagnosis.....late twenties to late fifties seems to be the window of TMS.

Marriage and relationships and children and NOT having children seem to also be a consitent constituent,though not mandatory(I have gay friends who also have it for other reasons)

welcome

Baseball65
Go to Top of Page

Hilary

United Kingdom
191 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2005 :  15:47:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good to have you hear, Sarnosoldier. I agree with baseball that you've arrived at a touchy time. For my part I've found this board to be extremely supportive and empathic.

I've been "doing" Sarno for about a month. I've seen a big change during that time. I'm not pain free, but I'm getting there. I'm learning a lot about myself in the process.

I hope you stick around and post more.

Hilary
Go to Top of Page

n/a

374 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2005 :  02:13:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Welcome to the board, SarnoSoldier (love the name by the way). My diagnosis sounded equally frightening - partially collapsed vertebra at L4 with disc protrusion below it.

I don't have time right now to repond properly to your question right now, but I'll look back tonight. It sounds as though you are on the right track.

Best wishes

Anne
Go to Top of Page

tennis tom

USA
4746 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2005 :  09:16:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Welcome SarnoSoldier,

That is a good monnicker - much more positive than DiskPain. Don't worry about the "bashing" going on. Usually this site is a bit more sedate, we're just having a bit of comic relief here, like every great Greek tragedy.

Questioning long held beliefs is good. Strong swords are made by pounding. Our society's fear of appearing "harsh" by asking relevant questions, is what has gotten us to this dubious point in our history. The chickens are coming home to roost though - mainly in our joints.
Go to Top of Page

n/a

374 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2005 :  14:49:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What made you look into Dr Sarno's work, SarnoSoldier? I ask because you say that you are struggling with acceptance of this diagnosis. You mention not being quite able to figure out a programmed pattern, but you have been able to identify when in the year and over the duration of the day that you are likely to experience worsening pain, so you are beginning to figure out a cyclical pattern.

This sounds so like my own experience. At my worst - even thinking about certain things - like knowing I had shopping to do that would involve carrying something heavy was enough to bring on back pain, actually before I had lifted anything. Observing your daily pattern could be helpful. Is there any pattern to the times during the day when the pain is less?

One thing you will find out by sticking around this board is that many, if not most of us, took quite a long time to get over TMS. For me it has been a gradual process. Somewhere along the line my brain had become programmed to make my back ache. I became obsessed with my back pain. I was completely focussed on it. It took some time and a lot of soul-searching to de-condition it.

Another thing that you maybe should consider; do you feel that you are in danger of making your pain worse by doing certain things? I ask that because with a diagnosis something similar to yours, I was warned by a variety of doctors and other physical therapists that I should only sit, stand, drive a certain way. I should sit only on straight backed chairs, sleep only on hard beds and never bend from the waist. I had a chiropractor who said that I'd need manipulation for the rest of my life. Does any of that sound familiar? It was only when I began to ignore all of that and began sprawling on a sofa when I felt like it and totally ignoring all these restrictions that I began to improve. All of these things are enough to terrify anyone - no wonder back pain is so hard to get over.

Maybe you could go into more detail of your experiences with back pain - just having to think about how you are going to explain to other people who know what you are going through, can be helpful in itself - I know that it was for me.

Best wishes

Anne

Go to Top of Page

Laura

USA
655 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2005 :  17:53:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dear SarnoSoldier,

I love the name!!!!! Wish I'd thought of it!! Welcome to the TMS board. Hope to hear more posts from you. Happy healing.

Laura
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000