TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 Work / Debt....TMS
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

UK james

United Kingdom
37 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2005 :  10:23:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dear all

I recently changed my job as my last one (although well paid) meant I had to work crazy hours and weekends (retail). My new job has seen me take a substantial initial pay cut although I get weekends off (I can now play football again regularly). The job is sales related and is therefore quite pressurised as was my last job but for different reasons. After starting my new job I have found myself extremely anxious and am really, really doubting my ability to make a success of it. I have also started to get mild backpain and pain behind my knees (I know this is TMS). On top of this, my personal finances are an absolute disaster and have been worsened by the pay cut. Since going to uni and then starting to get into debt, I really feel that my TMS symptoms worsened - I don't be able to see past the debt I have and it seems to have taken away some of my ambition and I don't feel like I have long-term goals as a result.

I do own a property but the equity will not as of yet pay off my debt. I am anxious because if I do not make a success of this new job I will be well and truly in the s***. It is like a vicious circle!! I just feel that if I didn't have the debt I would be free to get on with my life as I feel too restricted at the moment. I sometimes wish I had a simpler existence with less pressure but this would surely signify less money and my personality wants more not less. Confused? I am not stupid and realise that most people have debt and restrictions on their life but I think I have more than the average for someone my age and it is a worry.

I suppose I am looking for some sound advice maybe off someone with a bit of world experience? As a kid my mum used to worry like mad about my self-employed dads finances and resulted in soo many arguments so I think maybe this makes me more anxious.

James

NLK

USA
17 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2005 :  10:36:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi James,

If you want financial advice, I personally recommend a book called The Total Money Makeover by Dave Ramsey. He also has a radio show here in the US. The book will walk you through very straightforward "baby steps" to get your finances under control. His website (daveramsey.com) is more sales-y than informational, IMHO. I'd look for the book, either in a local bookshop or on Amazon. It's a great investment in peace of mind. (Is it any wonder he also wrote a book called Financial Peace?)

I do think that you'll find your anxiety level will drop considerably once you have a plan for your money. Step one is to create a monthly budget on paper. The book will tell you how. If you don't know exactly how much money goes where every month, how can you tell it what to do?

The only solution to debt and financial worry is to apply some discipline (darn it!)

Give yourself a break with the new job... and enjoy the time you have off, too! In addition to the time you spend handling your TMS, spend some time getting your finances under control and I bet you'll feel much better about everything!

I don't want to bore the list with more $$-advice - feel free to contact me offlist and I'll try to help. (click on my username and you should see a link to "click to send an email")

Nancy
Go to Top of Page

UK-Pete

United Kingdom
17 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2005 :  05:55:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
James - from previous posts I think we must live close by (certainly considering this is an international webpage!). I am in Didsbury, Manchester. How about we go for a beer, we can talk TMS and finances too (will make a change from advising my brother, who is in a similar position to you, and a similar age too!)

try sending me an email via the site if you are up for it
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000