TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 another study on benefits of meditation
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Gibbon

United Kingdom
138 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2010 :  11:31:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

quote:
The study, to be published in the journal Pain, found that participants who meditated showed unusual activity in the brain region known to be involved in controlling attention and thought processes when potential threats are perceived.

Dr Brown said: 'The results of the study confirm how we suspected meditation might affect the brain.

'Meditation trains the brain to be more present-focused and therefore to spend less time anticipating future negative events. This may be why meditation is effective at reducing the recurrence of depression, which makes chronic pain considerably worse.'

Dr Brown said the findings should encourage further research into how the brain is changed by meditation practice.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-1283445/Meditation-reduces-emotional-impact-pain-making-easier-bear.html

Check out the TMS website: www.rsi-backpain.co.uk

MatthewNJ

USA
691 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2010 :  11:48:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I can attest to the benifits of mindfulness and meditation. I have been practicing mindfulness for a couple years and meditating regularly since october of 2009. I combine that with Peter A. Levine's work in his book "Healing Trauma: A Pioneering Program for Restoring the Wisdom of Your Body" and Dr. Jon Kabat-Zinn's book "Wherever You Go There You Are" and I am a different person. No more severe pain, significant reduction in other symptoms. I am all around less activated, more regulated and more resilient. If you try this path, just don't expect it to turn your life around instantly. I started on my (very rocky) TMS journey 7 years ago. I believe the mindfullness and meditation was the crowning jewel in my recovery so far.

Matthew
Ferretsx3@comcast.net
--------------------
The difficult we do right away, the impossible just takes a little longer.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000