TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 Tingling in Palm causing distress
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

cskrone

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2010 :  15:19:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello All -

I am a 26 year old male living in New York and have been suffering from a tingling in my palm which is causing severe anxiety for the past 6 months.

I was cooking and picked up a hot pan by mistake on Jan 21, 2010 and my palm went a bit numb for a few weeks and then the tingling began once I regained feeling back. I've been to numerous doctors who tell me that a minor kitchen burn should heal in like 2-4 weeks AT MOST and that a lot of this is in my head....but I refuse to believe it because it feels so real.

After this burn, I started having trouble speaking to people and now it's progressed to having OCD and intrusive thoughts which are causing even more distress. And I attribute everything to the palm tingling. "If this was better, I'd be happy". But, then I look back and I was depressed even before the palm tingling AND had knee pain for a year, hand tendonitis in 2006 for a year, etc. which have all proven to be psychosomatic!

Do you all think this is another version of pyschosomatic? How should I deal with it.

I'm currently seeing a psychiatrist because I think I have some issues that therapy just won't cut. Sometimes, it's abnormal brain chemistry etc.

tennis tom

USA
4746 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2010 :  20:49:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cskrone

Hello All -

I am a 26 year old male living in New York...

I've been to numerous doctors who tell me that a minor kitchen burn should heal in like 2-4 weeks AT MOST and that a lot of this is in my head....but I refuse to believe it because it feels so real.

After this burn, I started having trouble speaking to people and now it's progressed to having OCD and intrusive thoughts which are causing even more distress.

But, then I look back and I was depressed even before the palm tingling AND had knee pain for a year, hand tendonitis in 2006 for a year, etc. which have all proven to be psychosomatic!

Do you all think this is another version of pyschosomatic? How should I deal with it.

I'm currently seeing a psychiatrist because I think I have some issues that therapy just won't cut. Sometimes, it's abnormal brain chemistry etc.

BINGO! You live in NY---MAKE AN APPOINTMENT WITH DR. SARNO! You could be the poster-boy for TMS (and Karen the poster-girl).

With your self-stated psychosomatic history, you need to make the Good Doctor, your doctor for life!

You are very fortunate, because Dr. Sarno only takes patients from the Tri-States area.

Current psychiatry, as you mentioned, is about brain chemistry. It would be difficult to find a psychiatrist who will take the time necessary to psycho-analyze patients. They have too much invested in their education to spend that kind of time with patients. It's much more time efficient and economically remunerative to write RX's.

Dr. Sarno has therapists who are specially trained in his methodology he can refer you to.

TAKE THE HOLMES-RAHE STRESS TEST
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holmes_and_Rahe_stress_scale

Some of my favorite excerpts from _THE DIVIDED MIND_ :
http://www.tmshelp.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2605

Edited by - tennis tom on 07/08/2010 20:59:55
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000