TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 epiphany
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

art

1903 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2010 :  14:29:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So I'm out there with my wife and we're painting, digging holes, clearing brush, transplanting this that and the other, all the wonderful, enjoyable things that are associated with being fortunate enough to have a house and a yard, and as usual I'm monitoring half a dozen aches and pains, tendinitis in wrists, in ankle, in hamstring, etc etc blah bleh....All this is completely typical for me. It's a constant, wearying battle...

On top of all this, my back begins to ache on the side where I've been carrying heavy pieces of lumber. Symptoms like this, and the above mentioned as well, are difficult because they almost always make very good sense in context. I can find what seem very good reasons for all of them.

But then I really started to think about why my back was hurting. I mean, true, it's on the logical side, but I'm using my shoulder, not my back to support these things. I'm not bending, or twisting. I'm just carrying these things on my shoulder. There's no reason for my back to ache. So I tried an experiment. I simply tried to relax those back muscles. Lo and behold, instantly gone. Oh sweet relief.

The epiphany, minor though it might be? I'm doing this to myself. And if I'm doing it to myself, I can stop doing it to myself. Not quite the Sarno model perhaps, but I'm convinced I'm causing my own pain. Fear, stress, anxiety, all are finding ways to express themselves physically.

The mind is the body, and the body is the mind. From now on I'm going to let all things flow from that..

Dave

USA
1864 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2010 :  09:53:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by art
Not quite the Sarno model perhaps, but I'm convinced I'm causing my own pain. Fear, stress, anxiety, all are finding ways to express themselves physically.

The mind is the body, and the body is the mind. From now on I'm going to let all things flow from that..

While I am admittedly a strong believer that Sarno is right, I also believe the details of his theory are not so important.

Ultimately it is about changing the way in which we think about and react to the symptoms. Whether you feel the symptoms stem from repressed rage, or are a "physical expression" of emotions, really doesn't matter. We are only human and our language and knowledge is limited. Ultimately I believe the detailed mechanisms of TMS are more complex than we can currently comprehend. Dr. Sarno provides one metaphor using repressed rage. There may be other explanations that are just as plausible. In my opinion, for humans to believe that we can truly understand the details of how the brain works to produce psychogenic symptoms is arrogant.

Recovery is a personal journey. The most important thing is to find some way to take away the power of the symptoms and fear, and allow them to fade away.

If you can believe the symptoms are caused by psychological factors, that is half the battle. The rest is about re-conditioning yourself to react differently to them, and hopefully to learn more about yourself and why you are susceptible to experience them.

I believe you stumbled upon a great tool: becoming consciously aware that you are tensing your muscles, and relaxing them. In fact the creator of this forum believed strongly that this is a big part of TMS. We unconsciously keep our muscles tense. Whether or not this is caused by anxiety, or repressed rage, or something else, is not as important as recognizing that it is essentially a bad habit we need to break.
Go to Top of Page

art

1903 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2010 :  10:48:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"Stumbled" is just the right word. Still, I have the same sense you do. It does feel like a potentially valuable tool. At the same time, I had a feeling of sadness, that I've been causing myself, needlessly, so much pain for so long..

Edited by - art on 07/19/2010 04:00:59
Go to Top of Page

Singer_Artist

USA
1516 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2010 :  20:45:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's awesome, Art! Congrats on the epiphany..I need one of those..
Dave,
I love reading your posts..so insightful! ANd speaking of tensing muscles..I was going to post about that very thing today! Maybe I can just ask the 2 of you your thoughts instead..That spot in my upper, right neck has been on/off really tight since approx 5-6 yrs ago when a chiro hurt me. It's just chronically, constantly tight and pulls down on my skull causing occasional headaches..I have noticed the tightness increases w/ stressful events..Not too long ago another chiro adjustment from a differnt dr. actually helped a lot..So..in my head I am wondering...'hmm' is it physical or psychological? My usual dilemma!
Hugs,
K
Go to Top of Page

tennis tom

USA
4746 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2010 :  21:13:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Singer_Artist

That spot in my upper, right neck has been on/off really tight since approx 5-6 yrs ago when a chiro hurt me.

..So..in my head I am wondering...'hmm' is it physical or psychological? My usual dilemma!

Hi Karen, Since this is the TMS Board and you are the poster girl for TMS: it's PSYCHOLOGICAL! CONGRATULATIONS you are now cured.

Please send me $135,000 so I can go to chiropractor college. Don't sue me, I'm not a doctor.

TAKE THE HOLMES-RAHE STRESS TEST
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holmes_and_Rahe_stress_scale

Some of my favorite excerpts from _THE DIVIDED MIND_ :
http://www.tmshelp.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2605
Go to Top of Page

Singer_Artist

USA
1516 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2010 :  21:20:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I wish I could send you $135K, Tom, for all your good advice..but, I'm afraid I am a typical starving artist/musician these days!
Go to Top of Page

Dave

USA
1864 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2010 :  11:10:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by art
I had a feeling of sadness, that I've been causing myself, needlessly, so much pain for so long..

You did not cause yourself any symptoms. This is important to accept. TMS is not something we do to ourselves. It is a normal part of being human. Everyone experiences psychosomatic symptoms at times. TMS prone personalities are just more susceptible to them, and tend to make them chronic. Consider yourself lucky to have gained the knowledge to accept this and gain relief.
Go to Top of Page

marjrc

Canada
19 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2010 :  18:22:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dave

You did not cause yourself any symptoms. This is important to accept. TMS is not something we do to ourselves. It is a normal part of being human. Everyone experiences psychosomatic symptoms at times. TMS prone personalities are just more susceptible to them, and tend to make them chronic. Consider yourself lucky to have gained the knowledge to accept this and gain relief.

I'm glad I read this and thank you, Dave. I did read this before, but it is something I am printing out so I can reread more often. I'm working on it! :)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000