TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 Audio Book of "HEALING BACK PAIN"
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

tennis tom

USA
4746 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2010 :  10:29:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just finished listening to the audio book version of the Good Doctor's book "HEALING BACK PAIN" and highly recommend it. It is a MUST listen-to for every TMS'er!

It is the next best thing to seeing Dr. Sarno in person--maybe better, because it's three hours long. That's much more time than he could give you in person and you can play it over and over to get the stuff the gremlin distracts you from.

I've read all of Dr. Sarno's books twice each, but hearing him in this format gave me a new perspective, many new insights and clarified points I hadn't understood before.

It is a three CD set and retails for $19.95.

Just Do It!

Edited by - tennis tom on 08/27/2010 10:30:38

mk6283

USA
272 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2010 :  21:31:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I second this plug for Dr. Sarno's audio book version of Healing Back Pain. Dr. Sarno narrates this one himself (unlike The Divided Mind which was narrated by some other random reader). I'm sure many back pain sufferers will find this helpful because, above all else, Dr. Sarno is a HEALER and that carries through in his voice. I have come to believe that this played a big role in the remarkable results he had with his TMS patients. Other TMS practitioners often aren't as successful with patients because they lack Dr. Sarno's conviction and charisma, which are very important in evoking a cure for psychosomatic conditions. An added bonus is that you get to hear it straight from "Big Papa's" voice, the most significant figure in mindbody medicine in the last half century. For what its worth, I never had back pain ever again after I listened to this audio book for the first time (now well over 4 years ago).

Best,
MK
Go to Top of Page

lilly

9 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2010 :  22:03:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I almost ordered this audio version, then thought it might be redundant since I am already listening to The Divided Mind. I was hoping for less Freudian stuff and more of the chapters by the other practitioners, who as it turns out, were all ommitted in the audio version. In Healing Back Pain audio, I'm wondering what is included and exluded since it is abridged, and I was so very disappointed by the abridged audio of The Divided Mind. I've got both Healing and Divided in print, but want to bombard my brain via IPOD to erradicate my lastest bout of yoga induced hip pain. Thanks for your feedback.

Go to Top of Page

tennis tom

USA
4746 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2010 :  23:12:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by lilly

I was hoping for less Freudian stuff...

Why do you want less Freudian stuff?

BTW two "bad" yoga moves were the physical triggers for my hip pain.

DR. SARNO'S 12 DAILY REMINDERS:
http://www.tmshelp.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=6415

TAKE THE HOLMES-RAHE STRESS TEST
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holmes_and_Rahe_stress_scale

Some of my favorite excerpts from _THE DIVIDED MIND_ :
http://www.tmshelp.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2605

Edited by - tennis tom on 08/28/2010 23:19:01
Go to Top of Page

lilly

9 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2010 :  15:01:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I guess what I meant, is that I want to hear more from the other docs in the book, and more patient success stories. So if he just focuses on the psychology in Healing Back Pain, I wouldn't want it as I think there's plenty of that in The Divided Mind.
Go to Top of Page

Fox

USA
496 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2010 :  07:57:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Get the CD! Don't think about it anymore. It is the best TMS resource of all. You get to hear the highlights of TMS theory and practice in the Good Doctor's own comforting and authoritative voice. All of the subject matter is excellent. I listen to it over and over and over in the car - especially when I get a bit of leg pain. It puts you back on the right track.
Go to Top of Page

Fox

USA
496 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2010 :  11:23:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh - I forgot to say - and you will like this - the CD doesn't spend much time on the Freudian underpinnings to TMS theory.
Go to Top of Page

Erata

63 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2010 :  11:30:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tennis Tom, thanks for this. Since my ‘Fibromyalgia’ has just morphed back to the original herniated disc back pain I had 25 years ago, I think I’ll re-visit this book via the cd. (Maybe my experience with TMS is regressing )

(The cd is also available used on Amazon, for anyone who wants to save a few bucks.)
Go to Top of Page

Capn Spanky

112 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2010 :  11:36:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just got it back on Aug 17 (my b-day) and haven't listened to the whole thing. But based on what I've heard, I HIGHLY recommend it. Especially if you’re kind of new to this stuff. It’s good old fashion, bread & butter Dr. Sarno.

I have found listening to snippets of his audio books a few times a week really helps keep me on track
Go to Top of Page

lilly

9 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2010 :  17:16:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks all. I'm not new, but want the reinforcement. Just found it on Audible for $10.48.

So Tom, do you still do yoga? I teach, but not too effectively these days.
Go to Top of Page

tennis tom

USA
4746 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2010 :  17:40:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Lilly,

I got very involved with yoga for about 15 years, taking classes almost daily, intensives, retreats and seminars. I stopped with all that when my favorite teacher swithched loacations and I started concentrating on tournament tennis.

I still do yoga but it's on the tennis court or the in the swimmming pool. I try to apply what I learned through yoga to better functioning in my daily life.

I do miss it and hope to start taking classes again from my favorite teacher in Marin, Tony Briggs. I find myself longing more and more recently to return to it.

Namaste'

Go to Top of Page

lilly

9 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2010 :  22:22:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Hmmm, Tony Briggs. I've read some of his articles. Maybe someday I'll make it San Anselmo for a class someday (I'm in Berkeley) if I can manage to cross the bridge.

Anyway, thanks for suggesting the audio of Healing Back Pain -- exactly what I was looking for. I agree hearing it in his voice is more reassuring than some anonymous reader.
Go to Top of Page

avik

128 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2010 :  18:29:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just bought the book and am actually a bit dissapointed.
Why isnt it broken up into chapters?

I have it in only two huge parts; one is two and half hours, the other 50 minutes.
Go to Top of Page

tennis tom

USA
4746 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2010 :  10:05:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by avik

Gee, since I was the one who recommended it I'm a "bit"terly hurt by that . I'm an old hat at this, and was inspired by hearing it and had many questions answered and clarified.

Rather than viewing the glass as half empty, as TMS'ers do, were there any "bits" that helped or enlightened?

I'm afriad you're exhibiting a TMS trait: "perfectionism". You desire that the informaion be organized to your liking. Unfortunately, life isn't like that. This is the cause of our TMS syptoms. Our reservoir of rage overflows, because life's not going the way our unconscious minds want it to. We can't do anything about it, except repress and supress, or we would lose our "goodist" status in our group.

Edited by - tennis tom on 09/04/2010 10:08:59
Go to Top of Page

avik

128 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2010 :  20:17:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tom (and to everyone else in this thread)

I didnt write my last post correctly: I was NOT dissapointed with the content, just the fact that it wasnt broken up into chapters.

TO BE CLEAR TO EVEYONE READING THIS: the audiobook has been one of (if not the best) thing I have purchased for my battle with TMS, thus far.

Its a whole differnt world when you are listening to him speak and you can close your eyes and focus purely on taking in the content, while not having to waste any energy on reading!

Highly recommended to everyone on this site.

Edited by - avik on 09/05/2010 20:18:41
Go to Top of Page

Erata

63 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2010 :  08:06:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tennis tom

quote:
Originally posted by avik

Gee, since I was the one who recommended it I'm a "bit"terly hurt by that . I'm an old hat at this, and was inspired by hearing it and had many questions answered and clarified.

Rather than viewing the glass as half empty, as TMS'ers do, were there any "bits" that helped or enlightened?

I'm afriad you're exhibiting a TMS trait: "perfectionism". You desire that the informaion be organized to your liking. Unfortunately, life isn't like that. This is the cause of our TMS syptoms. Our reservoir of rage overflows, because life's not going the way our unconscious minds want it to. We can't do anything about it, except repress and supress, or we would lose our "goodist" status in our group.

Hmmmm……..I find myself more than a ‘bit’ irritated by this response to Avik for expressing an opinion about what he found to be a flaw in the presentation of the audio book.

That’s all it was, an opinion, and it didn’t merit a strong slap on the wrist for expressing it (followed by an assessment of his TMS traits, which really can’t be known after a few posts on an anonymous internet board).

I read what Avik wrote to be potentially helpful (as in case, when I receive my cd, I’m listening and think, “I wish there were breaks in this presentation and, oh, yeah, someone else mentioned that…”) Why should one be discouraged from giving their honest assessment? Because isn’t it another TMS trait to be a people pleaser and not give dissenting opinions?

But more important: “We can't do anything about it, except repress and supress, or we would lose our "goodist" status in our group.”:

I’m not sure what you mean by this sentence, and maybe I’ve misread you, but, by scolding someone for expressing himself, isn’t that essentially what you’re asking that they do: repress & suppress?

Go to Top of Page

tennis tom

USA
4746 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2010 :  08:57:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Errata, this is the internet and people can say whatever they want, short of being banned from the board. You are reading too much into this.

It is difficult to judge intonation, inflection and true intent in an internet post. That's why I prefer face to face, verbal, communications. If you, or anyone else wishes, they may call me and we can have an accurate communication. PM me and give me your phone number or I'll give you mine and we can talk on my dime. I've spoken by phone and met in person with several forum members resulting in positive exchanges.

I participate in several other boards involving tennis and automobiles. This one, by far, is the most constrained. On most other forums there's all kinds of trolling, bad-mouthing, and and vehement argumentation. I actually take it easy here realizing most people are here because of emotional distress. I'm here to be helpful and for my personal academic interest in the topic.

This board is different from other health "support" boards. For one to get well, one needs to face the realities of their bad emotional habits and recondition them radically or be doomed to living life in pain, one TMS symptom followed by another.

Enabling and sugar coating TMS "knowledge penicillin" is not going to do anyone any good. If they want to keep their pain and symptoms, as a protective defense mechanism, that's fine with me. TMS is a "gift" in that regard, the subconscious mind protecting one from what it perceives as even greater emotional pain.

Freud thought of psychsomatic symptoms as a "punishment". Dr. Sarno has made a major revision and views symptoms as a "protector", a defense mechanism.

In a previous post, Avik, asked for opinions and I gave mine. The important thing is that Avik is getting, it and I feel good about my part in that.

I find TMS'ers much too sensitive to life's unpleasantries and unwilling to engage or confront life head-on. This trait has much to do with why they get symptoms by suppressing and repressing. It has to do with the inferiority complex tMS,ers share. If people ask for advice here, then I am going to give it to them as honestly and concisely as I can--life's too short not to.

Edited by - tennis tom on 09/06/2010 14:48:03
Go to Top of Page

Erata

63 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2010 :  16:18:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

tennis tom: With all due respect, I think you are reading too much into what I wrote. What followed had little or nothing to do with my post, which I wrote because I found that criticizing someone for their opinion about the presentation of specific TMS media material to be counter productive.

But,

quote:
I find TMS'ers much too sensitive to life's unpleasantries and unwilling to engage or confront life head-on. This trait has much to do with why they get symptoms by suppressing and repressing. It has to do with the inferiority complex tMS,ers share. If people ask for advice here, then I am going to give it to them as honestly and concisely as I can--life's too short not to.

Though I agree it’s difficult to interpret true intent in an internet post, I won’t suppress or repress my own interpretation of such a statement: Under the cloak of honesty & conciseness, I find it presumptuous and condescending.

Because…you have no idea what the ratio is of my (or anyone’s) sensitivity to that of ‘life’s unpleasantries with which I’ve engaged and confronted head-on’.

Unless I’ve waked in their shoes, I can never assume that someone is too sensitive to what they encounter in their life. Everyone is different.
Go to Top of Page

tennis tom

USA
4746 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2010 :  17:14:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

The OP asked for opinions and I obliged, that's what forums are about peoples's opinions. If you have opinions for the OP you would be more effective to address them to him then trying to pick a fight with me.
You would also be better off taking out your frustrations on those who are causing them then a stranger on the internet--just my opinion.

Go to Top of Page

Fox

USA
496 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2010 :  07:04:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think it was entirely appropriate for Tom to bring up his interpretation of the comment regarding the lack of chapters in the CD as probable perfectionism. I did not see any mean-spiritedness in his comment - maybe just a bit of good natured teasing...Us TMSers need to always be on the look out for our perfectionism, our sensitivity, and our demandingness regarding how the universe should operate...and the rage that this generates....Surprisingly enough, considering my massive perfectionism, I never thought about the CD needing to be broken down into chapters. I just went with the flow of the CD. I just listen to the whole dang thing over and over again rather than trying to hit the highlights because everytime I listen to it I end up gaining more insight - even from the parts that I once considered non-essential.
Go to Top of Page

Erata

63 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2010 :  08:40:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry Tom, I wasn’t trying to pick a fight, just addressing something that bothered me. One thing I like about this board is that there isn’t flaming and trolling (at least not that I have seen). I don’t regret addressing what I did, but I’ll also admit I may have misinterpreted statements or missed your humor, as Fox pointed out.

Back to topic, I’m looking forward to getting the C.D., imperfections and all……
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000