TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 Pilonidal Cyst
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

WayeFlawless

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2011 :  12:28:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Has anyone had an experience with a Pilonidal Cyst? I'm just wondering if this could be a manifestation of TMS. Not necessarily the cyst itself but the pain associated with it. I know that several people have tailbone pain without having Pilonidal Cysts and some people have the cysts with no pain. And it seems awfully common for people's pain to get worse or start after they KNOW that they have the cyst.

I am suspicious because this has been like an epidemic in my family. 4 people have had them and all of the pains have been totally different. 3 have had surgery (one of them did so because he was told it was necessary even though he wasn't experiencing pain). I have yet to have surgery and don't plan on it because I rarely even feel any discomfort associated with it.

Anyone have any thoughts on this? Thanks.

Back2-It

USA
438 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2011 :  18:33:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I had a pilondial cyst about 20 years ago.

When I finally had it lanced the doctor said that I must have an extremely high tolerance for pain. It hurt -- oh did it hurt!

So... to answer your question: the pain can be very real, but maybe only if it becomes infected. Knowing about it might make it worse for a person who has some health anxiety or is obsessive.

Remember where it is, so a chance if it becoming infected is probably pretty good. However, I'm never one for having an unnecessary surgery, so if it ain't broke maybe it don't need fixin' -- yet.

Go to Top of Page

WayeFlawless

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2011 :  06:27:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree with you on the pain being very real...but all TMS pain is real, too. I mean my back pain is just as real as the next guy or gal's, but it doesn't mean it isn't emotionally induced.
Go to Top of Page

art

1903 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2011 :  07:00:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've never heard of this, but I don't think a cyst would have psychosomatic origins. On the other hand, it occurs to me that rashes and acne can have emotional causes. So the answer is I don't know.

In any case, a cyst is a cyst no matter the cause. If it's something that could endanger your health I'd have it looked at medically.

Of course you're right about pain. Pain is pain, and by definition real.
Go to Top of Page

Back2-It

USA
438 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2011 :  07:28:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm no doctor, but I used to play one on the internet (until I swore off due to health anxiety).

Waye, a cyst is a visible thing. Even a pilonidal one, though, thankfully not visible to our own person, unless one is double jointed. Butt-wise, it is caused by a hair being entrapped under the skin and irritating the skin around it and perhaps trapping bacteria.

Whether or not it is painful depends, I think, on whether or not it is infected.

I've had my fair share of TMS symptoms over the years, but when that cyst was lanced and the stank that came out of it... well, it just screamed infection. After the lancing the pain went away, but the goopy --but not painful-- feeling remained for years. I never had the surgery because the fix was worse than the problem. They have to dig and dig and it's not as simple as Dr. House might let on. I lived with the goopyness and watched and waited and, thankfully, it went away.

Again, if it ain't broke don't fix it. I think some can have a non-infected cyst there or elsewhere, and it is just there.

Edited by - Back2-It on 02/11/2011 07:31:14
Go to Top of Page

Rose12

Australia
18 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2017 :  09:19:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My sister gets it now. And Pilonidal cysts are really itchy and very painful!
Like some normal cysts occurring somewhere in the body, pilonidal cysts are accompanied with pus and the risk of infection is relatively high. They can turn big and develop as a reaction to the symptom of ingrown hair or hairs which are embedded in the skin. Those infected cysts can be painful and even make people hard to sit or walk.
The cysts develop as a large pimple at the bottom of the tailbone. As infected, they can become a swollen mass and create a closed sac full of fluid or abscesses . Additional symptom consists of pain, embarrassment as standing, walking or sitting, inflamed skin or a bad small of the pus. Fever, malaise or nausea is other symptom of pilonidal cysts when they are left undiscovered for a long-time.
Treatment may include antibiotic therapy, hot compresses and application of depilatory creams. But all they don't work for my sister. However, she have started to apply black tea bags and the condition is improved much now. You can take a try as well.
These sites may be useful for you:
https://medicine.yale.edu/surgery/pediatric/care/information/outpatient/pilonidal.aspx
https://authorityremedies.com/home-remedies-for-pilonidal-cysts/
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000