TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 TMJ from grinding my teeth or from TMS?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

avik

128 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2011 :  14:12:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Im a classic TMSer and ive literally had it all.
Thankfully have gotten rid of 90% of my pains.
That said, I do have TMJ pain, clicking in the jaw, ear pain etc.

I know TMJ is a typical TMS baddie but I DO clench my jaw during the day and, grind my teeth at night (and have been doing so for years).

So, which is the culprit?

art

1903 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2011 :  10:50:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'd make an effort to stop clenching your jaw during the day and investigate methods to help you stop grinding your teeth at night. These are stress related behaviors that could certainly lead to actual physical pain.
Go to Top of Page

wrldtrv

666 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2011 :  19:54:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you're truly a clencher and grinder while you sleep, a dentist or orthodontist can fit you for a night guard. Don't use one of those over-the-counter, one size fits all, cheap ones. They'll make it worse.
Go to Top of Page

avik

128 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2011 :  20:41:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is the night guard a permanent or temporary fix?

Do I attack this like I attack all other forms of TMS...by ignoring the pain??

Im confused with this one b/c its the first TMS equivalent that I have experienced that is 2 steps removed.

I have the stress, which causes me to clench/grind, which in turn, causes the TMJ.
Go to Top of Page

Susie

USA
319 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2011 :  09:44:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Avik, TMJ pain is one symptom I had never had until last month. It hit me a week before a large auction that I manage. I was driving down the road chewing gum kinda fiercly and bang, awful pain in my jaw area. I have the soreness, clicking, the whole shebang. I don't even think I would have recognized it if not for the forum. I am totaling ignoring it. If my jaw hurts when I eat, I eat on the other side. If it hurts when I lay on that side, I turn over. It really feels like a tendonitis, which I have had and attribute to TMS. I wouldn't buy into the jaw clenching or tooth grinding. You have probably done that your whole life without causing this pain. Treat it like all TMs symptoms and don't weaken. That's what I'm doing and have greatly improved. There are also alot of TMJ success stories on this forum if you search.

Edited by - Susie on 04/22/2011 20:45:02
Go to Top of Page

art

1903 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2011 :  15:56:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just keep it simple. Forget the TMS angle in this case as it's unnecessarily confusing. If you were overeating because of stress, the fix would be to both lessen your stress and quit the pigging out.

Same deal here.
Go to Top of Page

wrldtrv

666 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2011 :  16:21:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I had tmj about a dozen years ago. Happened suddenly after taking an extra wide yawn; felt the pop and pain. It resolved after a couple of months, I think. I had a nightguard made up for me, but later, I was told by a dentist that it wasn't doing anything for me because I was not a grinder. Every now and then I will feel some achy feeling there when I am especially stressed out or have to chew something tough for a long time. The main point is, whether tms or stuctural, tmj resolves on its own.
Go to Top of Page

alexis

USA
596 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2011 :  19:49:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi avik,

If you are grinding your teeth, that can do some serious dental damage (broken and lost teeth on top of real jaw problems). I agree with forgetting the TMS angle on this one. Clenching may be stress or habit - lots of theories, even putting tension headaches in this camp. From the numerous theories you can guess no one knows the answers for sure, but stress reduction (for the clenching) and a night guard (to protect teeth and possibly break the habit) are your best and safest bets if it doesn't resolve.

Alexis

Edited by - alexis on 04/22/2011 19:56:18
Go to Top of Page

alexis

USA
596 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2011 :  19:55:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by avik

Is the night guard a permanent or temporary fix?

Sometimes it's temporary (breaks the cycle) for other people it's permanent.
quote:

Do I attack this like I attack all other forms of TMS...by ignoring the pain??

I wouldn't in this case because a) chronic grinding can do real damage and b) I personally don't consider this TMS, but rather anxiety or stress related. That distinction however depends on your understanding of TMS.
quote:

Im confused with this one b/c its the first TMS equivalent that I have experienced that is 2 steps removed.

I have the stress, which causes me to clench/grind, which in turn, causes the TMJ.

That's why your body is unlikely to have picked up "TMJ" as a distraction behavior - and muscular tension is a classic primary anxiety response. Again - what this means will depend on just what you think "TMS" means.

Edited by - alexis on 04/22/2011 19:58:40
Go to Top of Page

wrldtrv

666 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2011 :  20:25:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree with Alexis. Chronic clenching and grinding, especially when you are sleeping and can't control it is not very good for your teeth or jaw. However you can break the cycle, whether a nightguard, stress reduction, or other means, you should do it. Nightguards are very common and are usually covered by insurance. Short of that, simply massaging the joint with your fingers as you gently open and close your mouth helps. Heat also helps; a warm wash cloth or heated pad really relaxes the tight muscles. As I said, I used to have the problem many years ago and no longer do, except for very brief relapses.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000