TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 loss of control
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

amygreen

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2011 :  13:46:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here's a conundrum I'm trying to sort through. I'm reading Dr. Sarno's "Divided Mind" and it's fascinating. I know I have TMS because I'm all over that book -- every page resonates!
He talks about how 9/11 caused a great increase in TMS type symptoms because we all felt a lack of control and he says that feeling "not in control" is enraging to the subconscious. I understand that completely -- makes perfect sense. I grew up in a very dysfunctional, chaotic home and have always realized my need to control my environment and my discomfort at being in any situation where I feel out of control.
Strangely though, the symptoms that my subconscious has caused all cause me to NEVER feel in control. I have weak and wobbly muscles, so I can't stand up for any appreciable time without moving around and even that can be very shaky. I sometimes, out of the blue, feel faint and dizzy. I am hugely sensitive to fluorescent lights, which make me feel weak, somewhat dizzy and sometimes quite faint. So, going anywhere in public, for all those reasons is a real crapshoot. Maybe I'll get away with it and be able to have a good time, but maybe I'll feel really sick and awful. Maybe I can make it though church, but maybe I'll feel faint and dizzy and have trouble even getting out of there. Etc. Etc. I'm never confident, although I do make myself keep trying.
WHY would my subconscious put me in this kind of bind if "feeling out of control" is one of the things it likes the least???? I'm sure each time I feel horrible out in public adds fuel to the subconscious fire (because it adds fuel to the conscious fire too!!!) It's a vicious cycle!!
(I just realized that this sounds agoraphobic -- it's not. I can go to people's houses and anywhere outdoors and when I have days where my muscles are stronger I can go shopping -- it just varies).
Any thoughts on this? I hope I've explained it well enough to get my point across. It just seems to counter-intuitive and counter-productive.
Any ideas or input would be greatly appreciated!!!

golden_girl

United Kingdom
128 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2011 :  10:04:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
WHY would my subconscious put me in this kind of bind if "feeling out of control" is one of the things it likes the least????

I've wondered and berated myself over this for years. I've slowly come to the conclusion that it is our obsession over it, that feeds it.

We fear losing control. It's possibly our greatest fear. And we fear it most, because we DON'T feel in control. So every time we fear losing control, what we're really saying to ourselves is: HEY I THINK I'M LOSING CONTROL HERE! AND I THINK THAT, BECAUSE I REALLY DON'T BELIEVE I'M IN CONTROL! I'M NOT IN CONTROL!

And this is what our subconscious mind hears over and over again. If your subconscious mind gives you exactly what you tell it; if energy follows attention; if you get what you think most about - however you want to look at it, then we are telling our subconscious every day, every minute, every time: I'm not in control. And so, we're not!

So, what's the answer? There's many, none of them easy, but lots of them simple! Claire Weekes would have you float whenever you feel anxious. I've never been very good at this, I feel like I lose my mind when I'm in a panic. So I'm currently reading a book (which I'm hoping won't become yet another one to add to my "self help library"... ) that is all about changing your programming. Changing the all-pervading negative thoughts that we've carried around for years. I've only been reading it for a week, but already, with persistence, I can see the tiniest changes.

It was recommended on this forum by a young guy who was (I hope he doesn't mind me saying, hopefully he's no longer here - in a good way!) obsessed over his physiological changes when anxious, and had a complete recovery.

http://www.amazon.com/What-Say-When-Talk-Yourself/dp/0671708821/ref=ntt_at_ep_dpt_1

Sorry if this was all a bit confused, I'm only now working it all myself!!

Best of luck!

"F.E.A.R.
Forgive Everyone And Remember
For Everything A Reason"
Ian Brown
Go to Top of Page

shari

USA
85 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2011 :  00:25:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here's some positive self-talk someone posted here awhile ago. I go over this list whenever I feel negativity creeping in (I made a few changes to fit my own needs):

I am Healthy and Strong!
I am Free from Pain.
I expect to feel great and I DO.
My Body is relaxed and comfortable.
I move confidently and fearlessly.
I sleep comfortably.
Any time I anticipate pain, I tell myself, I'm Good.
I replace these negative thoughts with confident and positive self talk.
This positive self talk is the key to turning my life around. It has already begun.
I look at each new activity as a way to prove my freedom from this fear and pain.
It is totally amazing how FAST I can reprogram my mind using these techniques.
I provide my body nutrients it needs for optimum health.
I exercise daily to restore maximum health and fitness.
I ignore and laugh at setbacks.
My body is healthy, structurally sound and strong.
If I feel pain, I laugh at it and think about my stressors.
There is no physical reason for pain.
Repressed emotions caused my past pain.
I choose to focus on relaxation, tension free and painless motion.
I lead a care free life.
I am fearless and know I will not hurt myself.
My subconscious is being programmed for maximum health and painless movement.
I treat my body with respect and kindness.
Any time I feel fear creeping in, I swiftly kick it aside.
Exercising and stretching rejuvenate me.
I choose to be happy and positive.
I don’t sweat the small stuff and most of it IS small stuff.
Things that have hurt me in the past no longer hurt me.
I smile effortlessly.
I avoid negative people and negative influences.
I surround myself with positive people and positive influence.
I never complain about my health - even when asked.
When asked about my health, my answer is... “It’s great.”
I am stronger than this challenge.
I can beat this TMS emotional pain.
I am well aware of my emotions.
I think psychologically, not physically.
I push through setbacks with confidence.
I am programmed to feel great.
I am tough and strong. I act fearlessly.
I choose to be healthy, fit and strong.
Go to Top of Page

jjh2go

35 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2011 :  09:09:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Remember, what is rational to our conscious mind is not necessarily rational to our subconscious. Even though lack of control is enraging, the subconscious still thinks it is doing you a favor by creating a huge distraction so those feelings don't boil to the surface. The subconscious for some reason has chosen to create a situation where you have less control, but the distraction seems to be more important.
Go to Top of Page

Dave

USA
1864 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2011 :  09:28:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jjh2go

Remember, what is rational to our conscious mind is not necessarily rational to our subconscious. Even though lack of control is enraging, the subconscious still thinks it is doing you a favor by creating a huge distraction so those feelings don't boil to the surface. The subconscious for some reason has chosen to create a situation where you have less control, but the distraction seems to be more important.

Great post. TMS is not a rational process. It is a primitive protection mechanism.

The unconscious mind does not always to the "right" thing to protect us from perceived threats. For example, our immune system often overreacts to invaders producting uncomfortable symptoms. If the system were "smart" why would it release a massive amount of histamines, causing teary itchy eyes and running nose, just because of some harmless pollen?

I consider TMS as the unconscious mind overreacting to repressed negative emotions that it is trying to protect us from feeling, even though our rational mind knows that we would rather feel those emotions than the painful symptoms of TMS.
Go to Top of Page

tennis tom

USA
4746 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2011 :  10:19:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by amygreen

I am hugely sensitive to fluorescent lights, which make me feel weak, somewhat dizzy and sometimes quite faint. So, going anywhere in public, for all those reasons is a real crapshoot.

Any ideas or input would be greatly appreciated!!!

You have conditioned yourself to being sensitive to fluorescent lights. It is Pavlovian conditioning as Dr. Sarno mentions in his books. There was an experiment done with people "allergic" to roses. They put them in a room with plastic roses and they were so conditioned they responded with their allergic reactions to the plastic roses. You could get therapy for de-conditioning your fluorescent phobia but with-out getting onboard with the TMS program it would be substituted with a new crutch before long.

DR. SARNO'S 12 DAILY REMINDERS:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0dKBFwGR0g

TAKE THE HOLMES-RAHE STRESS TEST
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holmes_and_Rahe_stress_scale

Some of my favorite excerpts from _THE DIVIDED MIND_ :
http://www.tmshelp.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2605

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society." Jiddu Krishnamurti
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000