TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 Has anyone overcome gastritis?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page  
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

TaylorJoh

USA
113 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2011 :  16:32:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Has anyone overcome gastritis? I've eaten nothing but oatmeal and honey, carrot juice blended with spinach for 3 weeks and I'm really not getting any better. Of course I know it's caused by stress and anxiety, but I feel like I've been doing a lot better in the dept but not seeing any improvement with the gastritis. It's truly the bane of my life right now. I'm hoping for an encouraging story of triumph over this painful TMS symptom.

PhilMid

United Kingdom
28 Posts

Posted - 11/23/2011 :  10:26:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I had gastritis and I was given Omeprazole by my gastroenterologist. I felt obliged to follow his advice as it was part of the treatment for an overall stomach problem. It helped but the idea of altering the production of stomach acid does not sound the best solution.

However, after finishing short course of medication (low dose), I was still getting occassional bouts of stomach aches and nausea. I found that "Slippery Elm" (I used Potters) was very helpful. I believe Slippery Elm is an old natural remedy for digestive problems. If it is TMS then Slippery Elm can only provide symptomatic relief. It is not a cure so it can never resolve the underlying problem.

I suggest you research the internet to confirm whether Slippery Elm is right for you.

Phil

Edited by - PhilMid on 11/23/2011 15:19:42
Go to Top of Page

TaylorJoh

USA
113 Posts

Posted - 11/23/2011 :  16:01:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you for the suggestion, I'll give it a try, really. I'm surprised I haven't received more responses. GI problems due to stress is epidemic. Even searching the forum, few TMS'ers talk about GI problems. But this is the worst for me, I'd take back, shoulders, feet etc pain any day over gastritis.
Go to Top of Page

bryan3000

USA
513 Posts

Posted - 11/26/2011 :  00:14:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Taylor,

I did overcome gastritis and so will you.

Mine was be first major symptom of benzo withdrawal. (I was on a small amount of
Xanax for a about 8 months and it nearly killed me coming off.)
I ate a similar diet. Lost a ton of weight. Feared for my future. But, time and stress reduction will heal you. You can also look into herbs like slippery elm to help ease symptoms. I also took a stomach coating drug called Carafate that may or may not have helped. I'm not a fan of PPI's so I steered clear of them.

Was it TMS? Maybe. In this case I'm more inclined to believe it was just another withdrawal symptom. Still, it could be in your case and stress management is going to help you. It's a scary condition. But , you have to try to be positive and strong. Everyone gets through it. You will too.

-1/2010 - Developed chronic sinus problems. ENTs/Docs can't find anything
-5/29/2010 - Doc gives cocktail of allergy meds which induces first ever panic attack/anxiety.
-7/16/2010 - Anxiety stays/worsens - put on Xanax
2/1/2011 - Began Xanax taper - Withdrawal starts - full body chaos
-6/11/2011 - Last dose of Xanax. Physical/emotional chaos continues for several months.
-Now: Taking it day by day, looking for real answers and ways to heal myself without medical poison.
Go to Top of Page

eautmb

France
23 Posts

Posted - 11/26/2011 :  01:08:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My recent bout of GI symptoms got better after I had one day of thinking straight and I decided my restrictive diet was nonsense and i wasn't going to surrend to my symptoms any more. I started to eat what I liked and go on with the changes in my life as best as I could and the stomach symtoms started to improve. Fear again is part of the problem. You get a symptom and you get scared, then to alleviate the symptom you use a control strategy, diet for instance, and the problem grows bigger. If the diet is effective (placebo effect) then you're scared of dropping the diet. If the diet is restrictive you become afraid it's not healthy to eat only a few things for a long time and you'll get sick, and so on and so on. I mean, the story could have a different narrative but you know what I mean. That's why dropping the fear or whatever holds you there, in alert, is what works.
Go to Top of Page

tennis tom

USA
4746 Posts

Posted - 11/26/2011 :  09:22:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Prilosec OTC

==================================================

DR. SARNO'S 12 DAILY REMINDERS:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0dKBFwGR0g

TAKE THE HOLMES-RAHE STRESS TEST
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holmes_and_Rahe_stress_scale

Some of my favorite excerpts from _THE DIVIDED MIND_ :
http://www.tmshelp.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2605

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society." Jiddu Krishnamurti

"Pain is inevitable; suffering is optional." Author Unknown

"Happy People Are Happy Putters." Frank Nobilo, Golf Analyst

"Be careful about reading health books. You may die of a misprint." Mark Twain and Balto
======================================================

TMS PRACTITIONERS:

Here's the TMS practitioners list from the TMS Help Forum:
http://www.tmshelp.com/links.htm

Here's a list of TMS practitioners from the TMS Wiki:
http://tmswiki.org/page/Find+a+TMS+Doctor+or+Therapist

Here's a map of TMS practitioners from the old Tarpit Yoga site, (click on the map by state for listings).:
http://www.tarpityoga.com/2007_08_01_archive.html
Go to Top of Page

TaylorJoh

USA
113 Posts

Posted - 11/26/2011 :  11:13:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow Bryan, gastritis AND benzo withdrawals? That must have been one helluva ride. I was prescribed klonopin a few months ago but when I googled it and watched a couple of YouTube videos of withdrawal stories, I knew it wasn't for me. People who have had heroin addiction said the withdrawals from that were a cake walk compared to benzos, Holy Mary Mother of God that's not for me lol. Congrats on making it through the benzo withdrawals AND gastritis, you're my hero.

I do have a question though, was the gastritis more acute or chronic and how long did it take you to get through it?

______

Tennis Tom,

Yeah, I've been taking Prilosec 40mg a day for a year and it hasn't done much for me. Perhaps the acid secretion from stress and anxiety is more powerful than the medication.

______

EautMB,

Was your GI symptom gastritis? Gastritis just feels like a huge open sore in your stomach, the tissue is damaged and inflamed, I just can't imagine eating say, chocolate, coffee and spicy foods without repercussion. So I'm very curious if it was gastritis that you just went ahead and ate anything you wanted?

Thanks for the all feedback guys, I really appreciate it.

Taylor

Edited by - TaylorJoh on 11/26/2011 11:16:21
Go to Top of Page

Wavy Soul

USA
779 Posts

Posted - 11/26/2011 :  23:01:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, I must say that slippery elm has worked for me, on the physical side, and also DMG (a form of licorice lozenge that you suck) which rebuilds the stomach tissue.

Also, I have found that diluted baking soda can help, and a delicious custard made of kuzu arrowroot which you can get in Whole Paychek Foods and make in 1 minute.

Love is the answer, whatever the question
Go to Top of Page

bryan3000

USA
513 Posts

Posted - 11/26/2011 :  23:43:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I second the idea of baking soda. It's a decent and safe antacid.
I do think it helped me when I took it between meals.

Thanks for the kind words Taylor. Yea, as it turned out... the "disease" (panic/anxiety) was nowhere near as bad as the "cure.". Even better, it was prescription meds that kicked off my severe anxiety. Gotta love health "care" huh?

Yea, benzo WD was everything you've heard. Actually, there's no way to do it justice with words. Pure hell and honestly, I don't think I even got it nearly as bad as some other people. But almost 6 months out, I'm starting to feel human... thank god.

My gastritis lasted in a severe stage from about Feb until almost May.
I was able to work through most of it. Only missed a couple days at the start but it was nasty. It slowly does get better though. Even now, I'll still get a twinge here and there and I won't eat citrus fruit and a few other items. But, my diet is 90% back to normal.

Just really work on the mental aspects of the illness. That's my advice. Try to realize that it will pass. It can make you feel helpless but you WILL return to health.
Decrease stress, meditate, enlighten yourself the best you can.
You'll get through it. Don't give in to any defeatist thinking. This is a temporary state.

-1/2010 - Developed chronic sinus problems. ENTs/Docs can't find anything
-5/29/2010 - Doc gives cocktail of allergy meds which induces first ever panic attack/anxiety.
-7/16/2010 - Anxiety stays/worsens - put on Xanax
2/1/2011 - Began Xanax taper - Withdrawal starts - full body chaos
-6/11/2011 - Last dose of Xanax. Physical/emotional chaos continues for several months.
-Now: Taking it day by day, looking for real answers and ways to heal myself without medical poison.
Go to Top of Page

eautmb

France
23 Posts

Posted - 11/27/2011 :  00:23:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TaylorJoh
EautMB,

Was your GI symptom gastritis? Gastritis just feels like a huge open sore in your stomach, the tissue is damaged and inflamed, I just can't imagine eating say, chocolate, coffee and spicy foods without repercussion. So I'm very curious if it was gastritis that you just went ahead and ate anything you wanted?

I don't know what I had. I thought I was producing too much acid. The doctor just prescribed Esomeprazole (in French), 40 mg. I had gas, bloating, burping, digestive discomfort, nausea, etc. I only took the drugs for a week and then I decided all of it was nonesense and I'd start eating normally regardless and the symptoms didn't get worse. Actually they started to improve. But the reason for improvement was not so much the diet but the way I startedto think about my symptoms I believe.
Go to Top of Page

Joy_I_Am

United Kingdom
138 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2011 :  06:27:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for raising this, TaylorJoh, I'm interested to see how it pans out. I have been having upper left abdominal pain on and off for two years (right under the ribs, and often through to the back). When I had a blood test for something else two weeks ago, I was found to be anaemic (low iron/microcytic), and with no other obvious factors, my doc and I came to the conclusion it's some sort of gastric bleed causing the anaemia.

So I have been on omeprazole (prilosec) 20mg 1 x day for ten days so far (she prescribed me a one-month course). I'm also taking iron pills. My doc gave me no other instructions, but I've been staying off alcohol (which I think caused the original problem, along with stress). The pain is still a bit niggly, but generally better, and my energy is a LOT better.

Then yesterday I had a glass of mulled wine at a carol concert and the pain flared right back up that night. So I guess I'm a non-drinker for a while yet! I suppose I go back to the doc after the month is up (she didn't say to, I was only in there three minutes, yay NHS), but I don't want to stay on PPI's long-term - I imagine the body ultimately tries to compensate by over-producing acid, which is why some people end up on it for years. I only went on the prilosec for this month because I know my stomach, whether it's an ulcer or gastritis that's bleeding, needs a little time-out from the acid to start healing. Likesay, I suspect my stomach will then start over-compensating, so I want to keep it to a short course.

So my aim is to start tapering the final week of the prilosec. I know that stress is a huge part of this (despite the medical sites saying it isn't). I see the PPI as giving myself a little helping hand towards dealing with this in a TMS stylie!

But hey, it was probably time I quit drinking anyway... (but why did it have to be just before Christmas and New Year?!)

Bests to all, Joy
Go to Top of Page

Joy_I_Am

United Kingdom
138 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2011 :  17:46:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Update: so I've been taking 20mg omeprazole for 21 days, and the pain under my left ribs is no better - in fact, it's getting worse! I told this to another doctor yesterday who upped the dose to 40mg, but also said I should see a chiropractor about my 'facet joints' as the left side of my back is stiff and painful. Well it is, but hmm...

My feeling is that I'm in more pain because I'm focusing on it - taking pills every day, seeing doctors... I know I'm stressed right now as my husband is being a grumpy sod in the run-up to Christmas (I do wonder if being a miserable fekker counts as a controlling strategy...) Also, my family are circling like valkyrie... the usual... Looking back at old diaries, I see a pattern of getting sick every Christmas! So I know this about myself.

This side pain has been niggling on and off for a long time, but now it's going ballistic. I think that, as the pills are making it worse, it's probably more the focus on illness that's perpetuating it. It's not even like acid pain, it's not in my stomach, just in my left ribs. It might even just be the underwiring of my bras...

I will take the higher dose ppi for a few days, because if it's going to work, that's how long it should take. But my feeling is that I'm using a hammer to crack a walnut here. I certainly don't want to bugger about with rebound.

Sorry if this seems self-absorbed and over-detailed, but just thought it might help someone else in a similar situation; or maybe someone who's been there could advise from their own experience.

I think the holidays are a hard time for a lot of us, by the way.

Joy
Go to Top of Page

Joy_I_Am

United Kingdom
138 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2011 :  17:54:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
BTW does everyone remember the scene in 'Ghostbusters' when they're all warned not to think of anything because Gozer will take that shape, and Ray thinks of the Stay-Puft Marshmallow Man? I sometimes think TMS is like that! Like, 'don't think of any illnesses!' 'oh no, I thought of RSI...'

Go to Top of Page

tennis tom

USA
4746 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2011 :  18:41:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Joy_I_Am

... another doctor yesterday who upped the dose to 40mg, but also said I should see a chiropractor about my 'facet joints' as the left side of my back is stiff and painful. Well it is, but hmm...

... I see a pattern of getting sick every Christmas! So I know this about myself.

...I think the holidays are a hard time for a lot of us, by the way.

Joy

Sorry to hear of your ordeal Joy, but it does sound like you are persevering as well as one can. It's a sad state of affairs when physicians are referring to chiroquackters. A few years ago this would have been unheard of. It is proof of the inability of modern medicine to embrace Dr. Sarno's TMS theory. They have essentially thrown in the towel on dealing with chronic psychosomatic pain. Your intuiton on the meds may be right. I would think of seeing a new doctor.

Christmas is good for 12 points on the Rahe-Holmes list for filling one's TMS reservoir to overflowinng. Hang in there, you are thinking on the right TMS track.

DR. SARNO'S 12 DAILY REMINDERS:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0dKBFwGR0g

TAKE THE HOLMES-RAHE STRESS TEST
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holmes_and_Rahe_stress_scale

Some of my favorite excerpts from _THE DIVIDED MIND_ :
http://www.tmshelp.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2605

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society." Jiddu Krishnamurti

"Pain is inevitable; suffering is optional." Author Unknown

"Happy People Are Happy Putters." Frank Nobilo, Golf Analyst

"Be careful about reading health books. You may die of a misprint." Mark Twain and Balto
======================================================

TMS PRACTITIONERS:

Sarno John MD
400 E 34th St, New York, NY 10016
(212) 263-6035

Here's the TMS practitioners list from the TMS Help Forum:
http://www.tmshelp.com/links.htm

Here's a list of TMS practitioners from the TMS Wiki:
http://tmswiki.org/page/Find+a+TMS+Doctor+or+Therapist

Here's a map of TMS practitioners from the old Tarpit Yoga site, (click on the map by state for listings).:
http://www.tarpityoga.com/2007_08_01_archive.html

Edited by - tennis tom on 12/10/2011 08:15:23
Go to Top of Page

Joy_I_Am

United Kingdom
138 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2011 :  08:13:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So, I just happened to pass the chiropractor that the doctor advised, and stuck my head in, out of curiosity... talk about a hard sell! The receptionist was pushing straight away for me to make an appointment. I said I didn't know my schedule... she said 'I'll make one anyway, you can always change it!' I refused that, asked how much it cost, and she gave me a printed sheet which didn't show the price for one treatment, you could only book a series of sessions, anything from twelve to thirty-six and beyond, costing hundreds of pounds... and first you had to have a double-session consultation; no actual treatment, just for him to x-ray you (and then, no doubt, tell you you'd need a lot of work).

The chiro himself came out - she must have pushed a panic button because I wouldn't book - and took me on 'the tour', showing me his x-ray machine. I questioned the need for that, as I'd already had plenty of x-rays that showed nothing, and he said testily 'I won't work without an x-ray, I had one woman with a tumour, you don't want to be pushing on that!' Scare tactics much.

The stomach seems to responding to the higher dose ppi, the rib pain seems to be responding best to me being conscious and noticing when I'm clenched up, talking the pain away in a TMS way... I can feel it relaxing when I do... don't think I'd feel very relaxed paying hundreds of pounds for chiropractic treatment... It was a good experience, actually - re-affirmed my commitment to The Way of Sarno!

The Mindbody Prescription is currently retailing at £6:70/$11:20 on Amazon...

Joy
Go to Top of Page

tennis tom

USA
4746 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2011 :  10:25:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

...I questioned the need for that, as I'd already had plenty of x-rays that showed nothing, and he said testily 'I won't work without an x-ray, I had one woman with a tumour, you don't want to be pushing on that!' Scare tactics much.

Good job of resisting the high-pressure boiler room tactics of that chiroquackter's office! I had a similar experience, here's a copy from a previous post :

"As far as the "science" of x-ray diagnosis of the back, I must recount my first x-ray. It was performed by a chiro, who came very highly reccommended by a friend because he was a "kinesiolgist". He took an x-ray and looked concerned at the resuslts. He said it looked like I may have a tumor. I said to myself, "Oh boy, I come here for a sore lower back and now I've got cancer." The chiro says let's take another x-ray. This time he tells me to hold my scrotum to the side. He looks at the new film and says, 'Whew, that's good, you don't have a tumor, it was your left testicle'."

It must be a chapter in their chiro school text book under sales and marketing, "Scare them with the tumor", then the'll be happpy it's only a disc.
Go to Top of Page

Joy_I_Am

United Kingdom
138 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2011 :  10:52:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ha! Not much chance of that with me, Tom...

But after I'd made that last post, I started thinking 'Well, you know, maybe it's all above board and I'm being overly-cautious and there are honest chiros who mean well and...'. Next thing, the phone rang, it's the receptionist - 'Guess what, they'd had a cancellation for tomorrow, so she'd already booked me in for that and...' Woah horsie! I said straight that I couldn't afford it, kthxbai. Already booked me in?! The liberty! And you were urging me to make an appointment not an hour ago because he's EVER so busy and popular and it's SO hard to get in... Hmm!

I do not, literally, want to get jerked around by these people...[i]
Go to Top of Page

TaylorJoh

USA
113 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2011 :  16:00:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
The chiro himself came out - she must have pushed a panic button because I wouldn't book - and took me on 'the tour', showing me his x-ray machine. I questioned the need for that, as I'd already had plenty of x-rays that showed nothing, and he said testily 'I won't work without an x-ray, I had one woman with a tumour, you don't want to be pushing on that!' Scare tactics much.

As someone who has walked around with a large tumor in her, and know many women that have also had them, I don't think it's a scare tactic at all. Fibroid tumors are present in about 35-50% of women. And not uncommon to be the size anywhere from an orange (not uncommon) all the way to a basketball (very uncommon, I'm lucky I guess lol) as was in my case.

But I'm so happy to hear you are feeling better. I've had a major relapse. I told myself I wasn't going to fear what I ate and started eating baked chicken and rice and ended up in excruciating pain. Which of course set off the fear and anxiety. For some reason, when it comes to stomach pain, I just can't control it. I think stomach is just inflamed and raw and will take a good deal of time to heal it and I just have to be patient. I think GI issues such as chronic gastritis cannot be healed by TMS work overnight because of actual damage to the stomach and bowel tissue. I'm waiting for the overnight miracle, which is bad. Patience is also one of the TMS tools that I haven't quite been able to learn to work with.

But again Joy, so happy to hear you're doing better!! Please keep me updated on your progress, it's always so encouraging "watching" someone get better through TMS work. Congratulations!
Go to Top of Page

TaylorJoh

USA
113 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2011 :  16:17:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow, really sounds like a whack job. My mom wholeheartedly believes in chiropractors. She suffered from really bad migrains a few times a week during a stressful period in her life. This lady was actually very wonderful, believed in homeopathic remedies, etc. She talked at length with my mom about the stress in her life and gave advice on how to cope with it. My mom never had a migraine again. She attributes it to the chiropractor treatments. but I am trying to get her to understand that it was really the emotional therapeutic aspect of her visits that helped her. Right now she is very upset she can't get on an insurance program that pays for chiropractor treatments, even though she doesn't need it.

So, my mom went faithfully 3x's a week and never had another migraine again. She attributes the cessation to the chiropractor treatment. I attribute it to my mom having an adult woman who showed deep interest in her and talked to her about her emotional issues.

quote:

Ha! Not much chance of that with me, Tom...

But after I'd made that last post, I started thinking 'Well, you know, maybe it's all above board and I'm being overly-cautious and there are honest chiros who mean well and...'. Next thing, the phone rang, it's the receptionist - 'Guess what, they'd had a cancellation for tomorrow, so she'd already booked me in for that and...' Woah horsie! I said straight that I couldn't afford it, kthxbai. Already booked me in?! The liberty! And you were urging me to make an appointment not an hour ago because he's EVER so busy and popular and it's SO hard to get in... Hmm!

I do not, literally, want to get jerked around by these people...[i]

Go to Top of Page

tennis tom

USA
4746 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2011 :  17:11:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

...I attribute it to my mom having an adult woman who showed deep interest in her and talked to her about her emotional issues.

RIGHT TJ!

Agreed tumors are serious if rare, and the TMS literature always advises to be checked out by a physicain for structural issues prior to embarking on the TMS path. I just wouldn't go to a chiro for serious medical treatment as evidenced by the one I went to, who couldn't tell a tumor from a testicle.
Go to Top of Page

PhilMid

United Kingdom
28 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2011 :  02:35:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

I told myself I wasn't going to fear what I ate and started eating baked chicken and rice and ended up in excruciating pain. Which of course set off the fear and anxiety. For some reason, when it comes to stomach pain, I just can't control it.

IBS symptoms and stomach pain can be brought on by how people eat.

Some things to consider such as smaller mouthfuls, chewing food longer, not talking when chewing, not drinking when chewing, sipping non-fizzy drinks and not watching TV whilst you eat do help. This reduces air getting into the stomach and allows more chance for the salivary enzymes to start the first stage of digestion. There are studies that chewing food more can lead to weight loss.

Just remember the proverb "the stomach does not have teeth".

Edited by - PhilMid on 12/13/2011 03:56:20
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000