TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 Success Stories
 Success from 2000
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

andy64tms

USA
589 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2012 :  21:00:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It was November 2000, my body was in a rage, my lower back and neck ached continually, as they had for the last 23 years. I was depressed, and I had just walked out of my lucrative job with all of the benefits it provided me and my family. After this desperate and out of character decision, I found myself visiting yet another doctor, even though my confidence in them was minimal. I had indeed like many others had years of treatment, visits to chiropractors, MRIs and even entered discussions about back surgery. At this time I had started reading a book by Dr. Sarno, “Healing Back pain”.

I saw my doctor, she listened, and seemed to understand my pain and frustration. I was additionally full of the new fear of having to look for employment, which seemed to make my pain worse. She mentioned yoga and meditation might help and I left agreeing to take medication, anything to help with my situation. I am sure she knew my problem was stress related, but could not explain how and why it causes pain. I felt very uncomfortable about taking medication, but I was grasping for relief.

After four days my normal neck discomfort had turned into a full-blown tension headache of the worst kind, and the medication had side effects. I felt abnormally nervous, I spent every minute brooding about how bad I was feeling. I was spaced out and I decided to stop both medications. I studied the possible side effects of both of them on their websites, and found out they were anti-depressants, and the doctor in her wisdom had doubled me up with two different kinds. I felt embarrassed, after all it wasn’t manly, and I took matters into my own hands, popped a PM pain reliever and went to bed.

Saturday, I awoke happy and positive for the first time in days. I now had a clear head and I realize that Thanksgiving was a complete emotional blur.

To add to this positive day, while out hiking I mentioned to my wife that my lower back pain had decreased quite considerably. I noticed while tracking down a steep slope my usual pangs of pain were missing. I said to my wife that I felt confident enough to start jogging. She challenged me and I ran ˝ mile back to the car.

This was the first time I felt confident enough to jog for 7-8 years. I felt no jogging pain at all until later that day. I had done the opposite to convention, Prior to this, years ago I remember jogging around the local park with considerable lower back sciatica pain. I was absolutely convinced that each step caused a nerve to pinch between my vertebrae. At that time I gave up jogging completely. I was now elated and realized that Dr Sarno’s book, mere written words had started to sink in.

His book was a major turning point in my life. My lower back pain improved,
I took up yoga, and even windsurfing. At last I was in control of my mind-body and had the truth and a better understanding of how stress reacts with the body.

I got on with my life. For many years after I quoted doctor Sarno’s mantra to myself when needed. I found myself becoming privileged with my knowledge about TMS. It has also helped me in other ways, since then, I have become more truthful about my finances, relationships with family and friends and my personal happiness and values.

So you may well ask why this success story dates back to 2000? Well the truth is that my lower back improved about 90%. This allowed me to get on with life, but my neck pain chose to remain! At first the pain level was minor, and I attributed this to aging and arthritis. I remember thinking I’ll take care of this “soon” with the TMS approach. Soon never came, but I recently retired and have had loads of time to reflect the truth. I have actually been under severe stress for over three years, and I have finally decided to deal with it. TMS has found a new home! I feel very lucky to have had a previous TMS success and experiences. I have dusted off my Dr. Sarno videos and books and look forward to helping others on the TMS forum if I can.

MichaelB

USA
79 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2012 :  20:27:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thankyou Andy. I also will dust off my Sarno book and get back to practice. My TMS came back in a different area and it's been difficult. Funny, when I look back, my TMS has taken many turns and I have said to myself ," What next area are you gonna get me". I'm glad there are successes here on this forum and I intend to use them as examples and hopefully I will become one of the successful ones. Thank you again.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000