TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 Tooth Hurts to Press On
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

BecB

30 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2012 :  14:34:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello,

I have been working hard on the whole TMS thing but am suddenly having doubts and was wondering if anyone has had anything similar happen. My TMS is in my mouth. It started after I had a root canal and then blew up when I had new crowns put on. I have been pre-occupied by pain for the last 14 months but am doing better little by little I think. My root cannalled tooth hurts when I press on it with my finger, especially on one side. Sometimes I bite something a certain way and it hurts too. I have been worrying myself all day that there is something wrong with the tooth. Can TMS cause tooth tenderness like this??? X-rays don't show anything wrong but all dentists and endo's note the tenderness so the prognosis is always inconclusive.

Thanks,
Becca

Stryder

686 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2012 :  15:07:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Can TMS cause tooth tenderness like this?

Hi Becca,

I would say yes. I have a similar issue with tooth pain where I have no root canals. I have had dental pain that the dentist and endo cannot isolate.

Indirect: TMS can indirectly cause these tooth symptoms. The tooth get its socket bruised by grinding/clenching your teeth... like this ...

TMS -> Jaw Muscle -> TMJ pain -> Bruxation (teeth grinding) -> Toothache

Direct: Dr. Sarno mentions in his books that some types of trigeminal nerve pain (TMS) direclty mimics a tooth ache. The trigenimal nerve in your face sends signals from the sinus/face/teeth to your brain. So TMS of that nerve causes a short circuit, your brain _thinks_ the tooth is signaling, but its just the nerve miscommunicating... like this ...

TMS -> Trigeminal Nerve

I have both issues, indirect (in the past) and direct (currently).

Do you happen to have the pain moving around (from tooth to tooth, or side to side) ?

Do you happen to have the pain change location/intensity when you lie down?

If you have been thoroughly checked out by dentist/endo/doctor that you do not have a serious condition, then you can attempt to treat this as TMS. I'm trying to sort this out as well having been successful treating TMS LBP in the past, now I have it in my jaw muscles. And OCD/anxiety give you the perception its worse than it really is.

Take care, -Stryder

Edited by - Stryder on 02/24/2012 15:11:46
Go to Top of Page

BecB

30 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2012 :  09:50:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Stryder,

Yes, I struggle from trigeminal TMS and I hate it. I often wish my TMS would move locations but it doesn't. This fact alone indicates I have not conquored my fear. The thing that gets me is how I can push and actually feel pain in the RC tooth. I have other teeth on tha side that feel pain but are not actually tap sensitive. I know that there is TMS going on even if there is a small crack or something in the tooth. I do wear a night guard and the RC tooth cannot even touch other teeth when I wear it.

I was doing pretty well and stopped taking medication and even stopped wearing the night guard. Then the anxiety, panic, pain, unbearable pain cycle started up again. Now I am questioning what to do. I have so much anger that I am suffering this. Anyway, I need to get back on track.

As for more pain when lying down, I don't have that now but I have read about people with tooth pain having greater pain when lying down. My pain comes in horrible waves.

Becca
Go to Top of Page

susan828

USA
291 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2012 :  13:38:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Becca, I have a lot of root canaled teeth that took a long time to stop hurting after they were done. Many years later, some are still sensitive to tapping. I have the same problems with my teeth. They are the most bothersome part of me and almost every day something acts up. If these are your upper teeth, as you probably know, your sinuses are close and tapping will give you pain. My dentist (more than one) has told me that. I have spent more money running to dentists and endodontists and they find nothing. I know how maddening this is because it HURTS and who wants a toothache where they can find nothing. It's very scary when we tell them we are in pain and they can't alleviate it because the x-rays and tests are all negative.

Just for curiosity, I would ask for a copy of my x-rays or at least for them to show you the proximity of your sinuses to the aching tooth (if it's on top). It is very easy to obsess once one tooth acts up. At times, that's all I would think about and got very depressed, afraid to travel because of the "what ifs" if there is no dentist around.
Go to Top of Page

BecB

30 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2012 :  15:52:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Susan,

My issues are on the bottom left. My face on that same side sometimes feels stiff and tingly. My RC tooth hurts for me to push on it and also sometimes to eat on it. I also get waves of crampy, horrible pain through the day. That then sets my anxiety going and then everything is worse. I have a dental implant on that same side and I keep thinking that the implant or RC is wrong. Do your RC teeth hurt to press on with your finger? Have you tried any medications? I have been trying to do the whole Sarno thing and not take medications but I can't when it's this bad. My x-rays don't show anything either but all dentists note that the tooth is sore to tapping.

Becca
Go to Top of Page

susan828

USA
291 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2012 :  16:09:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Becca, they sometimes hurt even when I put my tongue against them. However, this was the case a few years ago, then it stopped. I want to mention what it could be, TMS aside. There could be a tiny canal that was missed and sometimes can't be seen on the x-ray. I sure don't want to make you more anxious but you have probably googled this already. Is it your last molar, do you know the tooth number? Is your wisdom tooth still in place? I have had teeth that were just "sick", old and no good anymore and they were extracted. Not to rush you to do this if it's a healthy tooth but if you can isolate it to this one tooth and it is really bugging you for this long, maybe you should see an oral surgeon for just one more opinion.

My root canaled teeth all hurt when I tap them. My friends say the same. But they don't hurt otherwise except for the upper near the sinuses and they hurt enough to send me to the endodontist in tears. I also get serious jaw pain which you can see if you look at the next page. I posted about it last week. It was pretty severe, TMJ, who knows what, from stress. I know about the panic you feel. I get the pain and have to run to the bathroom because I get an immediate brain to gut reaction. It's just all so scary. I wish I had an answer for you about TMS causing tenderness but there have been a lot of people on here talking about tooth pain. It's so frustrating, not to mention expensive with all of the consultations. I also take Advil when it gets really bad. Please keep me posted. I truly empathize and wish you to feel better. I am doing Schubiner's book and also reading Sarno.
Go to Top of Page

BecB

30 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2012 :  08:11:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mine still hurts now when I press on it with my finger or even tongue sometimes. The root canal was a year and a half ago. It felt ok and then I got it re-crowned and it got sensitive again. I have had the crown adjusted many times so I know it is not the occlusion. Are your RC's all normal to the touch now?? I have lots of pain on that side of my face. I fear being in way more pain if the tooth is re-treated or extracted since I have freaked myself out reading stories on the internet of people in this situation.

Becca
Go to Top of Page

lynnl

USA
109 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2012 :  14:01:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I had a crown put on about 3 years ago (upper right). Almost immediately after it started hurting. On next regular dentist visit, he said there was infection in the tooth or root (forgotten exact words) and recommended a root canal.

The pain wasn't too terrible, and I didn't want to lose my brand new gold crown, so I just put up with it. Over the next 3 years it gradually got better, to the point where I might not notice it for several weeks at a time, OTHER THAN when I'd first wake in the morning. But, on rare occasions it would hurt considerably.

Finally, at the continued recommendation of my dentist and his dire prediction if I didn't have something done, I had the root canal about a month ago. It seems definitely better, but the same pattern of discomfort, i.e. night and morning slight pain, is still there.

And yes, I do grind and clinch at night. So I'm confident that is a factor.

Lynn
Go to Top of Page

susan828

USA
291 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2012 :  13:24:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Becca, the teth are not painful to touch anymore but to tapping, yes. I don't think there is anything wrong with the root canals themselves...there are nerves and ligaments that can be feeling the pain. As far as extracting, I wouldn't think too much about what you have read on the web. If the tooth is not a visible one and continues to really hurt, I would get it out. I did, with the dentist telling me it is just a sick tooth at this point. Not root canaled, just old and slightly loose. I have had 5 extractions with no problems and some were bottom back teeth. I did not get a dry socket, it went well. Up to you, but retreatment may work. I would not suggest an apicoectomy. I'd rather pull it than go through that. I really hope you come to a resolution. I do believe strongly in TMS and have enough brain to gut and brain to teeth reactions to know when something is caused by stress but sometimes there is a physical cause so I hope in time you can differentiate and be out of pain for good!
Go to Top of Page

BecB

30 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2012 :  14:18:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So you mean that they hurt if you tap them with a finger? It is so hard for me to figure out what is dental and what is mental at this point. Mine is sensitive to lateral pressure and hurts it when I press on it, especially in one corner. Sometimes I get pain when I chew as well. Oddly enough, I was chewing pretty good on it for a couple weeks and then it started to hurt bad again. I thought that chewing on the tooth for me was the equivalent of getting back into regular physical activity.
Go to Top of Page

susan828

USA
291 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2012 :  16:51:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Bec, More that they hurt if I tap with a nail or stick, like a toothbrush. I am so disgusted with teeth, we had to have 32 of these damn things...honestly, I wish I could pull all of them and I wish I could go back in time and never have eaten the sweets that caused this mess. I shudder when I see kids eat candy. I never want anyone to go through this.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000