TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 This heel pain is killing me!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page  
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

tennis tom

USA
4746 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2012 :  21:19:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Busted

...he told me to go out and buy a very expensive pair of clogs and to never walk around barefoot. I just rolled my eyes at this. All I could think of is Sarno saying "man has walked around barefoot for years without any problems, and he didn't have to buy $100 clogs!" All of this nonsense just makes me believe more and more that it is TMS.

Right on! Once a year, I play in a grass court tennis tournament, playing barefoot for a week--my body never felt better.
Go to Top of Page

wrldtrv

666 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2012 :  21:48:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Speaking of barefoot...about a year ago, I gave up running with orthotics after about 30 years. My pf started during the period I was wearing them. It has continued after giving them up. My feet are definitely stronger as I often walk and sometimes run in minimalist shoes or walk barefoot. For people with non-tms pf (assuming it exists), the treatment of choice is to gradually move away from supportive shoes to flatter, more flexible shoes to strengthen the muscles of the feet, which should prevent pf in the future. But if you have a badly flared up case, you would first want to support your feet until it calms down before transitioning. Until recently, if you told a podiatrist you had pf the standard rx would be a pair of orthotics, which would often work in the short run, but because they would further weaken your feet you would be more likely to get pf in the future.
Go to Top of Page

art

1903 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2012 :  15:34:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree that orthotics are in a sense "habit forming," both physically and psychologically. YOu think you need them or you'll get hurt again (and as they don't last forever it gets to be an expensive proposition), and it stands to reason that they do weaken certain muscles in the foot. As strongly as I feel they;re usually a total waste of money, I'd advise people to wean themselves off slowly (another drug analogy) .

If I had to pick one chronic running issue it would be pf as you can generally keep running with it.

In fact, TMS or not, I've come to be pretty convinced that unless you really can't because something's torn or broken, it's better to keep running, even if in a much curtailed fashion. The medical establishment is even coming around to that point of view which is encouraging.

I'm in the middle of an injured knee situation. Because of the pretty significant swelling I decided to treat it as genuine. I took about a week off (swimming instead which is a poor substitute for me...I might be the worlds worst swimmer), then decided as it was getting no better to start using it...even though I'm walking with a limp. Funny though, as soon as I started pushing it the swelling began to go down. After 3 days of short walks interspersed with little 100 yard jogs, it's much better. Still have a way to go so I'm not celebrating yet, but I seem to be on my way.

Sarno says swelling is never TMS (I'm pretty sure he does anyway). but I'm not so certain. As I said though, either way if you possibly can, using it is probably better...

Edited by - art on 04/17/2012 15:44:59
Go to Top of Page

shawnsmith

Czech Republic
2048 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2012 :  18:56:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Had severe heel pain for over 2 years. It is horrid, I know.
Go to Top of Page

wrldtrv

666 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2012 :  19:53:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Art, where's the knee pain? I have never had knee issues except mild stuff, but coincidentally, over the past several months I have had occasional pain moving from patella to medial knee to lateral knee. For two days last week I had pretty significant medial knee pain that had me worried because it was affecting my walking. Later, in the middle of running 5 miles on the treadmill it completely disappeared. The next day it was only very mildly apparent. Then today, I did 15 miles and didn't feel it at all. Meanwhile, the pf was flared up from today's run. Conditioning?
Go to Top of Page

Busted

73 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2012 :  22:22:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Shawn, did you get over your heel pain using TMS methods?
Go to Top of Page

bagofwater

USA
29 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2013 :  15:05:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm wondering how things are for you Busted. I don't even need to post my circumstances because they are identical in every way to yours. I am you. You are me. I only have this to add:

Though I've become nearly pain free via TMS therapy I still have some issues every year when I visit my family. Sometimes it's my back, sometimes other things (last year it was a tooth ache!). I never worry much about it since I know what causes it. This year, right on schedule, I had heel pain that began the week before my trip. Again, I didn't worry much about it, but it's going on a month and the pain is still there. Why, despite my knowing that I'm likely to have symptoms every time I see my family that I STILL have symptoms is a little mysterious, and may have something to do with this new ongoing pain.

My take on why the TMS symptoms would be the same as what google reports is that the morning is the natural time that oxygen deprivation would be highest, especially in your feet. As you stand and walk around there would be much more blood flow that would dissipate the TMS effect.

Please let us know how you're doing.

Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

bagofwater

USA
29 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2013 :  19:31:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hmm. No news might be good news here. If Busted really is like me he doesn't check this forum much when he's not in pain. I'm thinking he might have beat this.

I'm making some progress too. Journaling seems to have helped (which never has much effect in the past) as well as lots of re-reading of The Divided Mind and online material here and on the TMS Wiki. I'm really glad I discovered Alan Gordon's writings and audio webinar downloads. His and Dr. Shubiner's approach seem to resonate well with me. Still a ways to go, but the outlook today is pretty good.
Go to Top of Page

bagofwater

USA
29 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2013 :  15:09:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Gah. Spoke too soon. The heel pain is back as bad as ever. I'm considering consulting an MD. There is a TMS aware doc close to my area. I'll probably look him up if things don't improve.

I'd still love to hear a heel-pain success story. The ubiquitous back-pain stories helped me enormously to buy the TMS diagnosis. I can find very few that mention heel-pain. …which my mind might be using to undermine my recovery.

Thanks.
Go to Top of Page

Susie

USA
319 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2013 :  21:44:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here's your heel pain success story. I had horrible heel pain before I had ever heard of Tms. I was,coincidently , in the middle of divorce but had no way at that time to associate the two. I went to a podiatrist , unlike me to go to a doctor , because the pain was limiting my activity. I'm in the horse business. He took an X-ray and showed me the spur in my heel. He gave me a cortisone injection in it and from the time I put my foot on the floor I never had another pain. I purchased the $400 orthotics and wore them for several years. I misplaced them in some tennis shoes and realized the pain was gone as well as my x husband. Thar was about 12 years ago and it's never bothered me since. Neither has my x. I am sure the spur is still in my foot and I am sure it was just a pain symptom from the stress. I believed that the shot and orthotic would work so it did. I went on to many other pains including the big back attrack until I read Sarno. My advice is just treat it like a Tms symptom and move on.
Go to Top of Page

bagofwater

USA
29 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2013 :  11:36:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Suzie. That helps. The more I look into it, everything about this new symptom points to TMS. Still it's frustrating not to be able to get it under control. I had a very heavy work project recently during which the pain all but went away, but now that it's over my mind has returned to the same heel-pain distraction. I'm going to start seeing a therapist this week. Unfortunately I can't afford a TMS aware therapist so I'm going to a low-income service. Hopefully I'll be able to glean insights into the underlying issue here without a trained PPD professional.
Go to Top of Page

Susie

USA
319 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2013 :  18:49:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm sure you've heard this before but you don't really need to pinpoint the source of your stress. You just have to realize that your discomfort isn't from something structural but instead, psychological. Maybe therapy will help you find your ah ha moment Everyone's different. All I can say is that I've found I have very different stressors at different times. When you figure one out another will come along and takes its place. You just have to learn to kind of "float" thru them.
Go to Top of Page

bagofwater

USA
29 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2015 :  12:19:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Following up 2 years later incase someone else is having this issue. My heel pain has been gone for over a year. I never did see an MD - according to internet sources the condition should have gotten worse if left untreated - so I believe it's safe to say it was a TMS symptom. Unlike back pain, journaling, trying figure out a trigger or other TMS approaches didn't really help. Since it wasn't disabling pain (more of a nagging annoyance) I was able to basically just stop giving it any thought or emotional weight until I noticed - after a long time, compared to how my back pain dissolved - it was gone.
Go to Top of Page

marytabby

USA
545 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2015 :  10:58:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Two things: Art, please read.

1) Sopher did a skype session with me two weeks ago (expensive!) because for two months I have had an excruciatingly sore knee with swelling. My pain can be right side of knee one day, left side next day, then the shin end of my knee, or upper calf nearest knee, or back of my knee another day, but all knee area pain which came "out of the blue". I do jog/walk for half hour a few times a week but nothing vigorous. Sopher said in my Skype call that it is TMS. End of story.
I asked him what about the swelling? He said it's just more TMS. So swelling IS considered TMS in some cases.
2) As to the original poster's question about why it hurts worse in the morning upon waking up, this is my theory... We are asleep and so it is our unconscious mind that is at work during that time, NOT our concious mind. As we all know, TMS is a subconscious or unconscious process. To me it would only stand to reason that when we wake up we are probably in pain with TMS because our unconscious mind has been aware of all of the rage and crap that is brewing under there in a way that our conscious mind is not aware of. So waking up from being asleep seems to me to be like the rage and sorrow is really close to the surface and the body is reacting accordingly. It is like our dreaming/ unconcious state brings up all of the unconscious stuff and the TMS starts to kick in when we are asleep, so that when we wake up we feel it really "fresh" on the surface.

Just my made up theory but it makes semse

Edited by - marytabby on 07/22/2015 11:02:29
Go to Top of Page

bagofwater

USA
29 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2015 :  14:35:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I like your theory! The pain definitely distracted me from reflecting on any dreams I might have had during the night.

Is it bad form to ask how much the Skype session with Dr. Sopher was? I've looked for this info elsewhere, but couldn't find it. How expensive is expensive?

Thx!

Edited by - bagofwater on 07/24/2015 14:37:15
Go to Top of Page

summabody

Canada
27 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2015 :  17:48:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A couple other ideas on why it's worst in the AM (and I experience this with mine too)

1. What wakes you up in the AM is your peaking cortisol / stress hormone. That might be a factor - you wake up bracing yourself!

2. Blood flow slows down when you sleep, especially to extremities. When you move more blood/oxygen fills your tissues and calms it down.

3. I used to sell shoes and we were told feet swell more in the AM, as do fingers, so trying on shoes or rings is tougher in the morning. This might be false, but might be a factor here.
Go to Top of Page

marytabby

USA
545 Posts

Posted - 07/25/2015 :  12:25:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bag:
Sopher charged $300 for a half-hour Skype session.
Go to Top of Page

bagofwater

USA
29 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2015 :  22:14:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oo. That is steep, but probably worth it if it brings clarity - which it sounds like it did in your case.

Thanks for the info!
Go to Top of Page

marytabby

USA
545 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2015 :  11:20:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It brought clarity but there is something to be said for an in-person consultation via one done over Skype. In person gives a physical exam and a more convincing diagnosis. It's a help, though.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000