TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 A Twist in the tale ?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

mala

Hong Kong
774 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2012 :  23:18:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I went to see a doctor a few days ago. An ortho. He told me to bring any X-rays/MRIs i had. I took my CT scans by mistake instead of the MRI of my back.

I liked the doctors attitude. He was pleasant, didn't try to scare me. Saw the X-rays. Did say that the back was very arched and that there was degeneration in the facet joints. Then i gave him what I thought were the MRI scans but which turned out to be CT scans of my abdomen which are taken a few months ago.

He saw my uterus which is normal about 9 cm and then he remarked at the fibroid growing on it which is 6 cms. He asked me if I knew about it. I said I did. He asked me where in my back I was feeling the pain and I told him right lower side. He said that's where the fibroid is . He said he's not a gyno but there's a high chance the fibroid was the reason the pain was so much.

I then told him I had surgery to remove 7 fibroids about 12 years ago. He reckons a lot of scar tissue, adhesions from the previous surgery & the fibroid are causing the pain by pressing on the nerves. He suggested seeing a gyno & perhaps having a hysterectomy.

OK Do I still treat this as TMS?

Good Luck & Good Health
Mala

balto

839 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2012 :  04:39:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Your Ortho is not very intelligent. Scar tissues from 12 years ago caused on and off pain and pain that moved around?

I think it would do you more good if you really pay attention and practice what others tell you in this post: http://www.tmshelp.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=7469
Go to Top of Page

art

1903 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2012 :  06:33:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You're still stuck on the physical, which is why you're not getting better, mala.
Go to Top of Page

mala

Hong Kong
774 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2012 :  07:33:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Art & Balto. With due respect. My pain has been for the last 11 years in my lower back. In fact it started a year after after my surgery. prior to that I NEVER had back pain nor any of the many TMS manifestations that so many others have had.

It has only shifted to my neck recently. is that so surprising ? After all when one has been in pain for so long , muscles elsewhere in the body will tense up. In fact i can feel that they are tense even when I am asleep.

But i do get lower pelvic pain along with the back pain. It is also common to have scar tissue & adhesions & they CAN have an impact other organs by sticking to them.

I have a retroverted enlarged uterus and a 6 cm growth . That much is evident. Not everything is TMS & if there is chance that this is the reason why my pain has not gone away despite all my efforts then at least I will think seriously about it. I have to explore all options.

So maybe its not TMS so pls don't make it sound like everything HAS to be.

And balto, you don't know my doctor so remarks like that are baseless & telling me to pay attention as if you have all the answers is presumptuous.

Good Luck & Good Health
Mala
Go to Top of Page

Ace1

USA
1040 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2012 :  10:54:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mala,
I am a MD and Balto is correct. Please dont fall into the trap that will never cure you. Just because its hard to cure using a certain method doesn't mean its not the correct method. In other words, how do you know that TMS is the cause? Well its the moving around and alot of times when it moves the orginal area of pain is not as intense. I have many,many reasons to know that actually TMS is the cause of every disease unless it was inborn. I also think that, believe it or not, even in inborn illness, the mind has an ability to change the state of that illness too, but I dont have enough experiance on this to comment, but I will refer you to look up Meir Schneider, a guy who was born blind, but yet was able to reverse his vision to a level where he can drive without glasses using the bates method of mind relaxation. My tip to you since you have a resistant case is to read my post that I recently posted "what has helped me" read it and order the book and make it a project. You have to reprogram your mind using mind techniques to obtain peace. Youll get better and it wont be as hard as you think, but it may take sometime
Go to Top of Page

art

1903 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2012 :  11:13:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
mala,

I've seen many, many people come and go on this forum over the last 7 or so years I think it is now. The folks who make it are those willing to take that leap of faith. When they do take such a leap. they're virtually always happy they did.

No one here can convince you. YOu have to do that yourself, ultimately. You can always come up with physical explanations, and you can find all the doctors you want to support you in that. You can, and some do, spend a lifetime searching for cures for illness and conditions that do not exist. Which is a tragic thing of course. But we all have to find our own way.

Is it possible you have something structural? Yes. Of course. Is it vastly more likely that you have TMS? Yes again.

\
Go to Top of Page

andy64tms

USA
589 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2012 :  12:50:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Mala,

You wrote “OK Do I still treat this as TMS?” I’ll give you two answers, one from me and one from my wife.

From Me (Andy) a TMSr.
Even Dr. Sarno acknowledges that people do have real medical issues. He exams and palpates to establish whether the pain originates from TMS pain or some other reason. You have classic TMS symptoms with your pain moving around, and I think you have to rule out the physical as if you are beginning from scratch for each new location. I agree you have to explore all options to rule out the physical.

I do agree though with the other male’s comments on this thread if it really is TMS. So yes and no, you could have both real pain as well as TMS pain.

Maybe my wife’s comments will be of help.

From Andy’s wife.
Hi Mala,
I am Sheila, Andrew’s wife, and he asked me to read your questions and the responses you got, mostly from men!

I had a hysterectomy 25 years ago due to fibroids, back pain, cramps and bleeding. A hysterectomy was the common medical procedure at that time. I note that you had fibroids removed 12 years ago, for the same problem, and that was the medical procedure then, as hysterectomies became less common.

With that in mind, medical procedures have advanced since then, and your GYBO will be able to tell you more about them, and suggest what is needed to relieve the pressure from a large fibroid. With that knowledge you can make a decision, one that is between you and your doctor.

Remember, that no man, however well intentioned, can imagine what conditions that we women have. They have never had a period, cramps, fibroids, given birth or gone through menopause!
I wish you well. Regards Sheila

Hope this helps

Andy
Past TMS Experience in 2000, with success.
Taking a break from Wiki Edu. due to windsurfing priorities
Charlie horse on neck for 20 years. (to be evicted soon.)
Books: Healing Back Pain
& Unlearn your Pain
Go to Top of Page

balto

839 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2012 :  15:59:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mala

And balto, you don't know my doctor so remarks like that are baseless & telling me to pay attention as if you have all the answers is presumptuous.

I've notice this happened to me quite often here. I must be a very bad communicator. I offended more than a few people here.

Mala, my appology. I was just trying to help. I just want to emphasize that thinking physical won't help with tms/anxiety symptoms. And no, I don't have all the answers. I don't have a high education and my English skill is just so so. So sorry if my post upset you. I won't reply to your post anymore, I don't think I'm any good at helping.

Last, I had a double hernia surgery decades ago. A short time after that I had hip pain and clicking sound from my hip. Years later one of the doctor told me the scar from the surgery could be the cause of the hip pain. A while later, one old doctor from the old school told me that doctor is not "very intelligent". He said scar from surgery rarely is a problem, doctor just blamed it when they don't know the real cause of the pain. If scar tissues really caused pain, the pain's intensity would be constant, the pain would be non stop, and it don't move or change location, or change symptoms. I was just repeat what he said.

Believe me, in this anonymous internet world, I come here to share a few thing I hope would help other, not to gain anything.

Goodluck.

Go to Top of Page

tennis tom

USA
4746 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2012 :  16:46:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by balto

quote:

I've notice this happened to me quite often here. I must be a very bad communicator. I offended more than a few people here.

Mala, my appology. I was just trying to help. I just want to emphasize that thinking physical won't help with tms/anxiety symptoms. And no, I don't have all the answers. I don't have a high education and my English skill is just so so. So sorry if my post upset you. I won't reply to your post anymore, I don't think I'm any good at helping.

Don't let it bother you too much Balto, you communicate very well, some just get offended when they get answers they don't want to hear.
Go to Top of Page

Back2-It

USA
438 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2012 :  16:49:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Art & Balto. With due respect. My pain has been for the last 11 years in my lower back. In fact it started a year after after my surgery. prior to that I NEVER had back pain nor any of the many TMS manifestations that so many others have had.

But i do get lower pelvic pain along with the back pain. It is also common to have scar tissue & adhesions & they CAN have an impact other organs by sticking to them.

I too believed that adhesions and scarring might be causing my pain. I had emergency gallbladder surgery. After the surgery I was fine, except for normal pain, for months, the the aching and burning and all started. Your post here sounds very much like one I made a year or two ago. I'm not saying that adhesions do not exist and do not cause trouble, but I will say this: often, anxious people will manifest problems in and around a wound site. This is fairly well documented. It is sometimes called a "trauma reflex" and is totally unconscious.

As it turned out, my back muscles were highly contracted and yanking me down and back, and the corresponding abdominal muscles were pulling me forward and down. Twist-o-matic. In the end it was not scarring and not adhesions and not a hernia. It was TMS/anxiety pulling me into a clam shape.

Just my story, but I've seen similar.

Good luck.

"Bridges Freeze Before Roads"

Edited by - Back2-It on 06/12/2012 16:50:31
Go to Top of Page

art

1903 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2012 :  17:51:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
TT wrote:
"Don't let it bother you too much Balto, you communicate very well, some just get offended when they get answers they don't want to hear."

That's exactly right, TT. And yet people react with anger because they're afraid, and confused, and don't know what to believe. Mala,
again, this is entirely up to you. You've been given very solid, very detailed advice from people who've been where you are and who are now in a much better place. They have nothing to gain or lose. They just want to help. Some people get this pretty quickly, others fight it for a while. Either way, the help you need is right here. Somewhere deep inside you know your pain is psychosomatic. Otherwise you'd never have found your way here.

Edited by - art on 06/12/2012 17:53:12
Go to Top of Page

bryan3000

USA
513 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2012 :  23:29:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Balto,

You communicate just fine. Your posts are invaluable and I seek them out regularly.
Go to Top of Page

mala

Hong Kong
774 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2012 :  04:08:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OK so here goes.

Balto Thx but there was no apology required. I think i mentioned earlier somewhere that I have always found yr posts very interesting & look forward to reading them. If you choose not to reply to my posts, then that is entirely yr choice. I don't think any of us come here to 'gain' anything but knowledge & I feel that knowledge can only come through discussing & sharing thoughts, ideas etc. I was neither offended nor angry just making a point like you.

No one on this forum knows for sure whether anyone's symptoms are TMS. None of us here are actually qualified. but many write as if they have and know all the answers. In fact many posters here who have been at this for years are still not totally pain free. That's why they are still here!

So what if I am afraid & confused? No crime in that is there? At least I'm open & honest about it. Banging on about how to conquer fear is very easy, actually conquering it is not. In fact I put it to you that many people who are still here are here becoz they have not totally accepted the idea and are still looking for answers. But hey that's OK . Exploring all possibilities is what its all about. Even SteveO went to many many doctors before he made up his mind.

Pls don't make this like other forums where you are only welcome if you 'toe the party line'.
Also interesting that the women who have posted are far more sympathetic that the men here.

Andy, pls tell Sheila I am very grateful to her for taking the time to write to me. You are both very kind.

Good Luck & Good Health
Mala

Edited by - mala on 06/13/2012 04:13:21
Go to Top of Page

Ace1

USA
1040 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2012 :  05:55:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Balto don't be hard on yourself , no one cares if you don't have a high education. You are fine just the way you are. Also your English is just fine. I also like you posts a lot and they are very helpful. You have helped me with your posts. Thanks
Go to Top of Page

balto

839 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2012 :  06:44:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Also interesting that the women who have posted are far more sympathetic that the men here.

My wife tell me the same thing all the time.
OK, we're kool now.

Thanks guys, I'm glad some of my posts are useful to some here. I really do want to spread the word about how to over come tms/anxiety. when I was sick, at one time I was so despaire, I came very close to end it all. The thought of my family mourning and sad is the only thing that keep me from doing it. I really hate tms/anxiety, I wasted a big part of my life because of it and I don't want another soul on earth suffer from it. The thing is, once I got "cure" I saw that the technique to get rid of it is so simple and yet it is so difficult to achieve. We need to change our way of thinking. Some will need to change the whole life style, some will need help and support from people around them and from their faith, some will just wake up one day and decide to take that leaf of faith. I want to share and to support all I can to make everyone find that day. No one on earth deserve to suffer from tms/anxiety. It is worse than "water boarding". It is hell on earth.

Thanks guys.
Go to Top of Page

tennis tom

USA
4746 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2012 :  07:47:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mala, you like to travel, you have the means, why don't you plan a trip around seeing a TMS doctor? Look in my sig and you will find TMS docs around the world. Minimally, do phone consults with a TMS savy psychotherapist. Fibroids have been mentioned on here before, if you do a "SEARCH" you may find some info that resonates. You can't get a TMS dx over a message board. Once you know accurately what you have, then you can take the treatment path necessary, TMS or structural.

G'luck

==================================================

DR. SARNO'S 12 DAILY REMINDERS:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0dKBFwGR0g

TAKE THE HOLMES-RAHE STRESS TEST
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holmes_and_Rahe_stress_scale

Some of my favorite excerpts from _THE DIVIDED MIND_ :
http://www.tmshelp.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2605

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society." Jiddu Krishnamurti

"Pain is inevitable; suffering is optional." Author Unknown

"Happy People Are Happy Putters." Frank Nobilo, Golf Analyst

"Be careful about reading health books. You may die of a misprint." Mark Twain and Balto
======================================================

TMS PRACTITIONERS:

John Sarno, MD
400 E 34th St, New York, NY 10016
(212) 263-6035

Here's the TMS practitioners list from the TMS Help Forum:
http://www.tmshelp.com/links.htm

Here's a list of TMS practitioners from the TMS Wiki:
http://tmswiki.org/ppd/Find_a_TMS_Doctor_or_Therapist

Here's a map of TMS practitioners from the old Tarpit Yoga site, (click on the map by state for listings).:
http://www.tarpityoga.com/2007_08_01_archive.html
Go to Top of Page

art

1903 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2012 :  10:52:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by balto

quote:

My wife tell me the same thing all the time.
OK, we're kool now.

Thanks guys.

This made me laugh, though I'm not sure what mala's point is. Women are nicer than men? Not sure how useful that is. In any case, I disagree with your premise mala.. I don't think anyone here has been unsympathetic, including me.

TT is absolutely right. No one here can give you a diagnosis. We can only tell you what it sounds like to us, based on our experience with this at times crippling disorder.

Edit: just to add, no one has a problem with posters who don't "toe the party line" as I think you put it. We were all newcomers once, and many of us did not hae an easy time of it, including me. For some reason I was able to accept my back pain was TMS and it promptly went away. I'd been suffering with back pain and back spasms for over a decade. I read HBP after a friend gave me a copy, and that was it. Cured. I haven't been to a chiropractor since. Occasionally I'll get a twinge of two, but I just remind myself what it is, and it soon disappears.

But it did take me a while to begin to accept how pervasive TMS can be. And as I go through life with all its challenging stages, new symptoms can crop up. Thanks to this forum and to Doctor Sarno, I have the tools to deal with them. I'm very grateful for that. I honestly can't imagine what my life would have been like if I'd had to fight with all this without understanding what's really going on...

ONce again, fear is the enemy. No one said conquering it is easy, as I believe you wrote. *None* of this is easy. And one never really conquers fear. We're human beings with a keen awareness of our own mortality. How can we not be afraid. But we can learn to not let it rule us, and ruin our lives in the process.

Edited by - art on 06/13/2012 12:15:50
Go to Top of Page

mala

Hong Kong
774 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2012 :  22:10:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Art, no not that women are nicer but that women understand women's problems better.

TT I am very tempted to find someone & will seriously think about it. My husband Robert went to uni in Austin, TX and has often said he'd like to go back so maybe we could plan a trip around the two.

Long flight from here though.

Good Luck & Good Health
Mala
Go to Top of Page

TaylorJoh

USA
113 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2012 :  00:46:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Mala,

I understand that it can be very disconcerting having a fibroid and wondering if it is causing you pain. I've been there.

Coming from someone who has gone through it, I hope I can help put this in perspective for you. You have a very tiny fibroid. It's only about 2" big and probably weighs practically nothing. It just doesn't seem logical that this could cause you pain. It would be the equivalent of a styrofoam peanut on your uterus.

I had a fibroid tumor that was the size of a basketball and weighed about 9lbs. Everytime I would walk more than 2 minutes my pelvic area would go numb and I'd be in excruciating pain. I literally couldn't do anything.

It would make sense that a fibroid my size would cause that right? Wrong. The fibroid removal and hysterectomy did not solve any pain. I came out the same way I went in. A lot of discomfort was gone obviously. But pain, no. It was devastating to me. But getting it removed made it so that I could accept TMS as the source of my pain. And I eventually got a lot better.

Surgery can be so traumatic as I'm sure you know. I'd really hate for you to go through a hysterectomy and remove a perfectly normal and healthy uterus because of a tiny very common fibroid. And if you do have adhesions, another surgery would just make it worse.

I don't know how old you are, but if you are close to menopause, it will go away being it is so small. I had no chance of it even getting smaller as it was calcified, basically a rock mass.

I hope I've helped put this in perspective for you. I would have traded uterus with you any day lol. I think you're very fortunate and would advise you to treat it as TMS before doing anything drastic.

*hugs*
Taylor

Go to Top of Page

mala

Hong Kong
774 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2012 :  02:29:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Taylor, Many thx for yr post. Wow that's a very big fibroid that you had. I really don't want to go thru any surgery again . Yes the fibroid is only 3 inches . I had hoped that it would shrink but its been 4 years since menopause (i'm 54) and its grown larger actually which is very weird.

Can I ask what kind of pain you were experiencing before the surgery that didn't get any relief from? Are you better now.

take care

Good Luck & Good Health
Mala
Go to Top of Page

tennis tom

USA
4746 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2012 :  08:20:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mala, did you try doing a "SEARCH" (the button is up above) for "fibroids", you may find some of the info there helpful.

Best of Luck

DR. SARNO'S 12 DAILY REMINDERS:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0dKBFwGR0g

TAKE THE HOLMES-RAHE STRESS TEST
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holmes_and_Rahe_stress_scale

Some of my favorite excerpts from _THE DIVIDED MIND_ :
http://www.tmshelp.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2605

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society." Jiddu Krishnamurti

"Pain is inevitable; suffering is optional." Author Unknown

"Happy People Are Happy Putters." Frank Nobilo, Golf Analyst

"Be careful about reading health books. You may die of a misprint." Mark Twain and Balto
======================================================

TMS PRACTITIONERS:

John Sarno, MD
400 E 34th St, New York, NY 10016
(212) 263-6035

Here's the TMS practitioners list from the TMS Help Forum:
http://www.tmshelp.com/links.htm

Here's a list of TMS practitioners from the TMS Wiki:
http://tmswiki.org/ppd/Find_a_TMS_Doctor_or_Therapist

Here's a map of TMS practitioners from the old Tarpit Yoga site, (click on the map by state for listings).:
http://www.tarpityoga.com/2007_08_01_archive.html
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000