TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 Hanna Somatics
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

pspa123

672 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2012 :  08:08:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Any experiences with it or views? On the one hand, the theory seems to be somewhat complementary to TMS -- one needs to retrain the brain in order to release muscles, because the nervous system is the source of muscle tension. On the other hand, because it involves working with the body (i.e., exercises) it seems contrary to the dogma that physical modalities are counterproductive.

The reason I ask is that I have had five or more years of unrelenting, severe neck pain. Even though I get that I don't have a structural problem or a disease, and believe me I do get this, my muscles remain in a state of essentially constant contraction and the pain at times is beyond my ability to cope. So I thought maybe working directly with muscles in a modality that recognizes that muscle tension is centrally-mediated might be helpful in addition to psychological work.

Edited by - pspa123 on 10/13/2012 08:36:39

Dave

USA
1864 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2012 :  10:30:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Though it may seem counterintuitive, stopping physical treatment is essential in treating TMS.

Performing exercises or other modalities to treat muscle tension sends the message that there is a physical problem to "fix" which is contrary to the message you are trying to send: the tension is psychologically induced.

Dr. Sarno stresses this point. His success rate improved dramatically when he stopped prescribing physical therapy for his patients.
Go to Top of Page

andy64tms

USA
589 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2012 :  18:57:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Pspa123,

I agree with Dave, Hanna Somantics for the sake of treatment and fixing physical pains is detrimental. Before I knew this I purchased two CDs and a book from Martha Peterson last year and wasted $80. It was from Dave, Ace1, and SteveO, that I finally got the message about this, as I was stretching my neck continually - thus treating it.

Like you I have a permanent spasm and neck pain I nickname Charlie. Charlie has been with me on and off for twenty years or so. I also have bad posture from my lifestyle as a draughtsman leaning over a drawing board and thought Somantics would help, as I already do Yoga.

It did not help me! I found the exercises opposite in form. Whereas in Yoga you stretch and hold into the pain slightly while holding your breath, with Somantics you do not. It’s too soft and gentle an exercise form; I’m conditioned to do Yoga. I nicknamed it “Soggy Yoga”.

Please note I do Yoga for whole body workout /meditation and not targeting specific pain.

I am sure Somantics helps many people and athletes, as It focuses the brain on the muscles, but it does not address why you have the pain in the first place - emotional and psychological issues.

My latest news is that I now do full body workouts twice a week at my gym. This does not target my neck muscles that are giving me pain. I am finding this helps me relax more than Yoga. To be honest my exercises are quite painful and the secondary benefit is this overrides my neck pain that is seemingly ignored.

Hope this helps, fellow pain in the neck!

Andy
Past TMS Experience in 2000, with success.
Back on Wiki Edu Program day 15
Charlie Horse on neck for 20 years. (to be evicted later.)
Books:
Healing Back Pain
Unlearn your Pain
The Great Pain Deception
Go to Top of Page

pspa123

672 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2012 :  20:22:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Andy, thank you for that perspective. Do you have a theory as to why you have been unable to conquer your neck pain?
Go to Top of Page

Ace1

USA
1040 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2012 :  20:47:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you are in anyway occupied with the pain, yu will lose your ground in treating it. If your still in pain, you must not have gotten what's wrong. I think your very hard on yourself papa 123. I think your affirmation should be - I'm easy on myself and I love myself just the way I am. Good luck. Hope ths helps.
Go to Top of Page

pspa123

672 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2012 :  07:35:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ace1 I understand what you are saying, but as you must understand when a person is in excruciating pain it is not easy and indeed seems somewhat unrealistic to pay no attention to it and just repeat affirmations to oneself. Or maybe it is easy for some people but I just haven't found the mental ability.
Go to Top of Page

Ace1

USA
1040 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2012 :  16:49:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Pspa123, your in pain already, the physical stuff will never work unless it shifts it somewhere else. So you realy have no option with the pain except to accept it. So now you have to take steps to change the future through the affirmations and find out what is making you angry and try to tacke this through the directed affirmations. Your body is telling you something and although it forgave what ever it was for a long time, now that it has started to complain it won't stop until its fixed. No more negative talk and look to the future. Think of it that the more you focus on it the more you perpetuate it.
Go to Top of Page

andy64tms

USA
589 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2012 :  09:15:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi pspa123,

Actually recently I’m not trying to “conquer it, I know Dave, Ace1 and others will be pleased to hear this. Since May I have been doing this very well.

Yes, I have many theories about my recovery, this summer I discovered that being a perfectionist was bad for me. This was a major turning point because I thought my personality was flawless! lol. Before this my TMS was somebody else’s fault.

You can read about my breakthrough here:

http://www.tmshelp.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=7685

Since then I have tried to remove my focus from other issues to this one. Although I am making progress I now have to deal with both past issues and my personality traits. My present daily stress is at an all “lifetime low”. I have luckily been retired for 18 months, and spent most of that time reducing stress related finances and health insurances etc.

I’m warming to the idea of getting some help, I recently listened to an ISTDP session by Allen Gordon, and it was enlightening.

Andy
Past TMS Experience in 2000, with success.
Back on Wiki Edu Program day 15
Charlie Horse on neck for 20 years. (to be evicted later.)
Books:
Healing Back Pain
Unlearn your Pain
The Great Pain Deception
Go to Top of Page

tennis tom

USA
4746 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2012 :  09:24:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by andy64tms

I’m warming to the idea of getting some help, I recently listened to an ISTDP session by Allen Gordon, and it was enlightening.

GOOD JOB Andy! The best time to get some TMS counseling is when we don't "need" it, but in the real world that seldom happens. Go for it!

I had some good phone sessions once with Dr. Donald Dubin, (now departed), sitting in my car, along the coast with the waves crashing nearby.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000