TMSHelp Forum
TMSHelp Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Resources | Links | Policy
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 TMSHelp
 TMSHelp General Forum
 myofascial pain and trigger points
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

pspa123

672 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2012 :  10:13:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Obviously, there has been a great deal written on this subject, and innumerable practitioners purport to treat it with various physical modalities. The theory does not depend on "structural" abnormalities but on the development of trigger points within muscles from injuries or from chronic emotional or postural stress, etc.

My question is, do TMS experts believe this phenomenon does not exist at all, or that it's real but treating it as a physical problem doesn't get at the root cause, or something else?

Relatedly, as a matter of theory, why couldn't muscles stressed by long-term emotional issues develop independent problems that might require physical treatment? The TMS model seems to assume that even prolonged muscle tension has no lasting, self-perpetuating effects.

Birdie78

Germany
145 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2012 :  13:28:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
My question is, do TMS experts believe this phenomenon does not exist at all, or that it's real but treating it as a physical problem doesn't get at the root cause, or something else?

One of the MDs (don't remember who exactly) in "The Divided Mind" mentionned the existence of various muscle trigger points as one often observed TMS-phenomenon.

Of course one can treat it on a physical basis (I did this several times) but the effect won't last very long as you treat only the sympton and not the root of the symptom.

These nasty triggerpoints exist, of course, they are palpable. But normally they are inactive (everybody has them, a really normal and common finding) and cause no pain. When I am stressed my TRPs get activated soon and produce pain. Pushing and rubbing often made them go away (I think that has something to do with the increasing of the oxygen/blood circulation), just to reappear on another place again (I often heard them singing "neener-neener, here I am again..."). Like a neverending story. I have so many activated TRPs all over my body....just can't count them. And they really are related to psychological stress and NOT to overuse/injury and so on. Of course injuries can cause these TRPs, too. But normally they disappear after a very short time and don't produce chronic pain. That's my personal experience and my very subjective explanation of trigger points.

Kind regards from Germay sends Birdie

Edited by - Birdie78 on 11/20/2012 13:35:09
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
TMSHelp Forum © TMSHelp.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000